Hey all,

I just got out of a NRA safety course and asked a question regarding borrowing a friends long gun to take to shoot at the range. I know it is illegal to borrow a hand gun without the owner present. Does this apply to long guns (Beretta Storm) as well?

Want to go tomorrow, so quick response would be awesome.

Thanks,

Tony

Hey all,

I just got out of a NRA safety course and asked a question regarding borrowing a friends long gun to take to shoot at the range. I know it is illegal to borrow a hand gun without the owner present. Does this apply to long guns (Beretta Storm) as well?

Want to go tomorrow, so quick response would be awesome.

Thanks,

Tony

yes. Doesnt matter. It is an unlawful transfer.

What about this form?http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/sp-634.pdf if one was filled out an in possession of the transferee, wouldn't this be legal? Both parties retain a copy, done deal. Upon "return", said form is filled out again, but in reverse, and all is well? no?

What about this form?http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/sp-634.pdf if one was filled out an in possession of the transferee, wouldn't this be legal? Both parties retain a copy, done deal. Upon "return", said form is filled out again, but in reverse, and all is well? no?

This form is for selling a long gun ONLY. There is no legal transfer, where you can take some one else gun for a days shooting. Cherry Ridge allows transfer in the premises if the owner is present.

The only thing that bothers me about that is intent. You're basically "buying" a gun to resell it again and that's not legal. I agree, it's asinine but that's the law.

If you had a COE showing the gun to be yours, it's yours. If you buy it today and decide tomorrow that you're going to sell, that's completely legal. If you're filling out a form to go around the law, someone will figure out a way to jam you up.

Hypothetically, he fills out a COE, the gun is his...he goes to the range, shoots it, gets back and does a COE for the other direction or just destroys the first COE, the way the laws are written in NJ, he's probably guilty of something but who was harmed here if they both promptly forget about the whole incident?

One thing to also consider is that once you have the COE done, the gun is yours. End of story, anything that happens to it or with it from there on out is the responsibility of the buyer. If you have a ND at the range and get jammed up, "it's not my gun" isn't going to fly.

Shrug, the laws in NJ suck. In a free state, you can just give someone a gun and that's that.

This form is for selling a long gun ONLY. There is no legal transfer, where you can take some one else gun for a days shooting. Cherry Ridge allows transfer in the premises if the owner is present.

It's not Cherry Ridge that allows it, it's State Law. You can transfer a firearm to someone at a gun range temporarily, under your supervision, for target shooting. You can also purchase ammo without an FID card under state law if the ammo is to be fires at the range attached to place of sale. Some shops do/don't allow this but it's their rule not the state's, in that case.

What about this part? "Part 1: This section must be completed by the transferor (seller or giver) of the firearm."

while i am NOT a lawyer, all i have to say is this....

to my knowledge there is NOTHING illegal about selling your friend your long gun at 3pm but then later after trying HIS new gun out at the range decides he didnt like it and wants to return it.. i am CERTAIN that it is legal for you to buy it back.... I am also reasonably SURE that if THAT were the situation and it was SIMPLY put.. then nothing could really be considered illegal about that.. i wouldnt want my friend to be stuck with a gun if he changed his mind and decided he didnt want to keep it after buying it from me.. 8-)

Follow up question to this (I have yet to buy a long gun so I dont really know the story yet) - since rifles are not registered in NJ, how would anyone be able to prove if it was the posters gun or his friends?

No unless they run the serial # and trace it back from start to finish.

So Tony,

How was the class?

I should have gone. Instead I went to AC with my wife and Mother in Law and took a hit for the price of a nice Sig. :(

Bri, it was good. Worth taking for all the little tidbits and safety tips you pick up. Range day was a bit boring. Standing around watching folks who have not shot ever fire 22 pistols. Although, they have to learn somehow. And it was fun shooting outside.

Tony

Follow up question to this (I have yet to buy a long gun so I dont really know the story yet) - since rifles are not registered in NJ, how would anyone be able to prove if it was the posters gun or his friends?

This is where I get confused about registration.. why is there even a serial number on file anywhere if its not required to register?

This is where I get confused about registration.. why is there even a serial number on file anywhere if its not required to register?

1968 Gun Control Act.

Law Enforcement would have to start and one end of the paper trail or the other iirc.

(Manufacturer, distributer, retailer, customer, customer, customer, etc)