Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

AR Bolts

So i'm reading this thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b ... 8&t=360169

It seems the core issues are bolts and carriers.

The thread then lists the parts that tend to fail on down from there.

Who here has had any failures and what items?

Also, if you had to choose the best bolt and or complete carrier assembly which would you get?

To start, "frankenguns" tend to have the most issues. If a person gets a quality factory model, that usually goes a long way-- note that quality does not necessarily equal expensive.

As for specific parts, I've had an extractor, gas rings, and charging handle break on me. The extractor and gas rings were on an older and shot-out M16 and M4 respectively that weren't exchanged out by the armorers. I've also seen the extractor break a few other times, notably during BCT. I broke a charging handle on one occasion, though I think it was a fluke. It was after I adopted the one-handed method for manipulating the CH. Maybe that CH had been in service too long, or some muck got it snagged and I applied too much pressure in a certain direction-- I don't know.

Other then those, magazines (as someone says in the thread) was the only other issue for me. Cracked lips, springs that were overused, etc.

As for a complete BCG/bolt, I don't think having a chrome bolt and the FA-style is necessary... (but nice). I think having an MPI/HPT bolt (both are tests done for mil spec bolts) is though as it confirms the integrity, and disregards sets of possible problems before you even put them in your AR.

So, instead of drawing it out, my recommendations are BCM, LMT, and Colt (Note that from my understanding, current S&W are using LMT carriers as well).

At the risk of being called a "Hater" i wont have ANYTHING from the Kitty-cat people on one of my rifles..they have had WAy too many QC problems ranging from barrels that had been laid flat after parking (Ethced half the bore clean of rifling) to out-of spec hammers that would Lock up on the disconnector after the first shot. they ALWAYS make it good....but it shouldnt be getting out there in the first place. Bravo Company, LMT, JT, Doublestar..I havent seen any issues or HEARD of any other issues with any of them.. Even bushmaster has a decent rep for internals. The MOST important thing with a Bolt Carrier Group is making SURE the key is staked right. As for the bolt itseld, Bolts and barrels should have about the same Service Life..right around 20K rounds.

If you haven't already made your purchase, get the BCM bolt carrier group. As stated, they are MPI inspected and currently the best going.

Also consider one of their strengthened charging handles, especially if you plan on training with the gun.

You will likely find this thread to be a good one for the stated purposes. This forum is where I spend most of my time due to the wealth of first hand information. I would humbly also suggest avoiding AR15.com completely these days, except for maybe the hometown forum.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55930

If you haven't already made your purchase, get the BCM bolt carrier group. As stated, they are MPI inspected and currently the best going.

Also consider one of their strengthened charging handles, especially if you plan on training with the gun.

You will likely find this thread to be a good one for the stated purposes. This forum is where I spend most of my time due to the wealth of first hand information. I would humbly also suggest avoiding AR15.com completely these days, except for maybe the hometown forum.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55930

I disagree. Avoid "General Discussions" yes, but the rest of the site, ESPECIALLY the Armory sections are fine. the retards tend to congregate in GD, so outside of there you're fine.

I disagree. Avoid "General Discussions" yes, but the rest of the site, ESPECIALLY the Armory sections are fine. the retards tend to congregate in GD, so outside of there you're fine.

Well, you may be right. I was a regular there for a couple years until an unpleasant incident with another member and that was that.

However a friend I knew from there told me about M4C in '07 and I have never looked back.

I know DPMS had some real issues with bolt seperation at the cam hole. Ive never had that happen. I like Young Manufacturing BCG's.

I have heard that too, and I'm sure it is/was true. I run a DPMS FA carrier and bolt in a hot 11.5" upper. I use it for Beta dumps in FA. Never had a problem or signs of cracks. Don't know if they use different parts or QC for FA BCGs (other than the obvious cut on the carrier) or if I'm just lucky. Have about 10K down the tube on it.