Sign in to follow this  
autoxnyc

Is a DL required by law when a FFL receives from nonFFL?

I bought an Enfield from someone and he says there's no law stating he has to provide a driver's license to the FFL doing the transfer. Now most dealers who do accept from nonFFL all told me they require a copy of the seller's DL.

Is this reqired under NJ law?

thanks in advance.

- Daniel

I'm not a dealer, but I'm pretty sure the dealer has to confirm the identity of the person who he is receiving from otherwise, their books would be incorrect. (How do they know who it's actually from?) I'm not sure if the law specifically says DL, but if not a DL (most universally accepted ID).. what else can he send?

The FID document is so easy to fake IMO (really, a piece of oaktag with a fingerprint on the back?) that it would be foolhardy for any FFL not to require a photo ID, especially since NJ went from having the easiest to counterfeit DL to having the hardest to counterfeit...

FIDs can be verified online and I'd imaging they probably have a number for dealer's to call to verify if the FID number matches the address.

For DL I can see some people might not want to send their personal info out if it's not required by law with all the identity theft stories out there. Some people jsut don't like to disclose any information unless it's required by law.

I guess dealers can have their own policies when it comes to transfers, some don't do transfers from nonFFL, some won't touch AK variants even if they're legal, etc.

I'm just curious to see if there's a law requiring a DL or other form of photo ID.

I won't do a transfer with a copy of dl I am sure you meant without.

FIDs I am sure you meant FFL. can be verified online and I'd imaging they probably have a number for dealer's to call to verify if the FID number matches the address.....I'm just curious to see if there's a law requiring a DL or other form of photo ID. No requirement for transfers. Just common sense.
  • Like 1