GoNRA

Any NJ Hunter up for this?

I am about 90% sure that I will be at Black Rock WMA doing some bird hunting with my dog on Tuesday morning. I should be in the Rte 15 Parking lot around 9:15. The parking lot is right by Berkshire Valley Road and eastbound 15, at the foot of the huge comms tower for Picatinny Arsenal. Fish and Game lists Tuesday as a stocking day, so it should hold some promise.

I am about 90% sure that I will be at Black Rock WMA doing some bird hunting with my dog on Tuesday morning. I should be in the Rte 15 Parking lot around 9:15. The parking lot is right by Berkshire Valley Road and eastbound 15, at the foot of the huge comms tower for Picatinny Arsenal. Fish and Game lists Tuesday as a stocking day, so it should hold some promise.

Maybe i'll lookup how far away that is, I wouldn't mind tagging along if it's not a problem. I get out of work at 8am, and pretty much dont have any hunting gear yet. I just want to see what it's like, the whole experience of it all. I'll see tomorrow and get back to ya if I can remember, lmfao (bad memory)

I have never gone hunting but would love to try it. I only have rifles tho. If you get a deer do you guys take it to a butcher or do you handle that yourself too? I'm up for learning everything and anything.

I have never gone hunting but would love to try it. I only have rifles tho. If you get a deer do you guys take it to a butcher or do you handle that yourself too? I'm up for learning everything and anything.

I butcher just about everything on my deer. I bring cubed meat in ziplocks to my butcher to make hot dogs and double smoked kielbasa. My wife calls me Jeffery Domer when I am in full butcher mode. I am only hunting in NJ this year and doubt I will get a buck during shotgun season. In the last 27 years I have only bought a NJ hunting license twice before. Last one was 8 years ago when we bought this house and before that was 1983. Now I'll be buying one this year and again for 2011 to bow hunt on my property and take my kids bird hunting. I typically have NY and VA tags.

I butcher just about everything on my deer. I bring cubed meat in ziplocks to my butcher to make hot dogs and double smoked kielbasa. My wife calls me Jeffery Domer when I am in full butcher mode. I am only hunting in NJ this year and doubt I will get a buck during shotgun season. In the last 27 years I have only bought a NJ hunting license twice before. Last one was 8 years ago when we bought this house and before that was 1983. Now I'll be buying one this year and again for 2011 to bow hunt on my property and take my kids bird hunting. I typically have NY and VA tags.

Cool.. i'd def like to learn this stuff if a bunch of guys want to get together and make a trip of it. I'll go anywhere if we just plan ahead. If Any body is willing to teach, let us know what kind of gear we need. Count me in!

RU, start by getting your hunter safety courses and start buying a few things at a time. I'd wait a couple of weeks as all the sales start as hunting season starts to wind down. Buy the good stuff first and you won't regret it. It can get real expensive real fast. The scent blocking stuff is good, but very pricey.

RU, start by getting your hunter safety courses and start buying a few things at a time. I'd wait a couple of weeks as all the sales start as hunting season starts to wind down. Buy the good stuff first and you won't regret it. It can get real expensive real fast. The scent blocking stuff is good, but very pricey.

Im I reading this right? I have to get a shotgun hunters education course and exam before i can get a firearms hunting permit. So i essentially have to buy a shotgun just to be able to hunt with a rifle?

I was just at Bent Creek preserve this Saturday for the opening of the season. I had a blast. If you go there, ask for Tim as your guide. He was great, and so were his hunting dogs. Our group of four took home 10 birds (Pheasant and Chukar).

http://www.bentcreekpreserve.net/

Im I reading this right? I have to get a shotgun hunters education course and exam before i can get a firearms hunting permit. So i essentially have to buy a shotgun just to be able to hunt with a rifle?

You can't hunt with a center fire rifle in NJ. Except for 22 rimfire in very limited ways and muzzleloaders. So in the PRNJ, you need to take a shotgun, rifle and archery course if you want to hunt with any of those implements of mass destruction. Rifle covers Muzzleloader and rimfire.

You can't hunt with a center fire rifle in NJ. Except for 22 rimfire in very limited ways and muzzleloaders. So in the PRNJ, you need to take a shotgun, rifle and archery course if you want to hunt with any of those implements of mass destruction. Rifle covers Muzzleloader and rimfire.

oh i see..guess i'm heading out of state then.

Page 66 of the Digest defines what firearms (including rifles) are legal for woodchuck. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2010/dighnt10.pdf

Rifles (rimfire and centerfire) are legal with some restrictions:

"All persons in possession of a rifle (including a muzzleloading rifle) while hunting woodchuck must have a current and valid rifle permit in addition to the current hunting license. Rifle hunting (of any kind) for woodchuck is prohibited on state wildlife management areas, state parks, state forests or state recreation areas. Farmers and their agents may use shot not larger than #4 buckshot to control woodchuck causing damage. Hours of hunting are sunrise to 1⁄2 hour after sunset. See chart at right for woodchuck hunting details."

The highlighted area above pretty much rules out most public land. Those with access/permission to hunt private farms in rural sections can use a centerfire rifle .25 caliber or less w/ bullet weights of 100 grs. or less for woodchuck only.

Not entirely true.

I know, but I really didn't feel like spending all sorts of time quoting the particulars and leaned towards a generalized information. Judging by his questions, I am assuming his isn't a farmer or made a specific request to hunt woodchuck but was asking about deer.He still needs to take a hunter's safety course. Even if he goes out of state, you need to provide proof of a safety course.