Sign in to follow this  
GoNRA

U.S. Dips Walk Out

Altho I am 10000000000000000% for it. I HIGHLY doubt Obama would do such a thing.

Israel will be hitting them before the year is over.

Pretty much a given I believe.

And when they do I think Israel is going to hit them HARD.

Look for Hezbollah to act up, so Lebanon is going to get pounded far worse then they did years ago.

I'm honestly surprised that Israel hasn't already taken action. A lot of experts were saying that Israel was waiting for the current US presidential administration to officially and openly admonish Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and the other elements of the Islamic Republic of Iran (notably the Iranian Republic Guard). Obama did that a few months back, and all that's happened since was some tension between Israel and the US.

I don't know how realistic it would be to involve ourselves in a conflict against Iran right now. The conflict would be far more conventional, and all of that defense spending would be put to use finally (and the world would witness the military might that asymmetric warfare doesn't allow right now). But even with the military might, the war-games that have already been played out don't guarantee a wiping of Iran, let alone a victory.

The initial part of any campaign are the bombing raids, and most Iranian facilities and major cities are very, very well protected. Tehran is virtually untouchable (think Moscow during the Cold War years). As for even getting into position, that's a whole other slew of issues. Sure, there is access from the two contiguous land masses the US are currently active in. But to really get a foothold, I think the US would need an option to come in from the north.

Another huge obstacle is the Straight of Hormuz. Iran has that choke point quite secure, as well as having SSM's lining their coast for coastal defense. So, as amazing as the US Navy is, there is only so much that can be done against defenses like those.

Plus, the moment any action is taken against hard targets in Iran, the US could expect the number of proxy/terrorist attacks to increase against US and locals in both Iraq and Afghanistan-- as a means of distraction, but possibly even crippling depending on the number of resources re-allocated for open conflict against Iran.

The ways around it? Well, the hardest part is gaining a foothold in the region because Iran's defense measures are that good. Once that initial defense is cracked, its just a matter of how fast can Iran get its ass-kicked. How that defense is cracked I'll not share because I'd rather not even think about walking that thin line Geraldo Rivera knows so well.

ETA: I'm glad the US and its allies reacted that way for the record (to include France! :o ). A line in the sand has to be drawn... none of Iran's actions have been gestures of good will since forever. Whether we're talking of the elections awhile back, or the BS nuclear summit they held because we didn't invite them-- or the countless other reasons. Enough is getting to be enough.

I'm honestly surprised that Israel hasn't already taken action. A lot of experts were saying that Israel was waiting for the current US presidential administration to officially and openly admonish Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and the other elements of the Islamic Republic of Iran (notably the Iranian Republic Guard). Obama did that a few months back, and all that's happened since was some tension between Israel and the US.

I don't know how realistic it would be to involve ourselves in a conflict against Iran right now. The conflict would be far more conventional, and all of that defense spending would be put to use finally (and the world would witness the military might that asymmetric warfare doesn't allow right now). But even with the military might, the war-games that have already been played out don't guarantee a wiping of Iran, let alone a victory.

The initial part of any campaign are the bombing raids, and most Iranian facilities and major cities are very, very well protected. Tehran is virtually untouchable (think Moscow during the Cold War years). As for even getting into position, that's a whole other slew of issues. Sure, there is access from the two contiguous land masses the US are currently active in. But to really get a foothold, I think the US would need an option to come in from the north.

Another huge obstacle is the Straight of Hormuz. Iran has that choke point quite secure, as well as having SSM's lining their coast for coastal defense. So, as amazing as the US Navy is, there is only so much that can be done against defenses like those.

Plus, the moment any action is taken against hard targets in Iran, the US could expect the number of proxy/terrorist attacks to increase against US and locals in both Iraq and Afghanistan-- as a means of distraction, but possibly even crippling depending on the number of resources re-allocated for open conflict against Iran.

The ways around it? Well, the hardest part is gaining a foothold in the region because Iran's defense measures are that good. Once that initial defense is cracked, its just a matter of how fast can Iran get its a**-kicked. How that defense is cracked I'll not share because I'd rather not even think about walking that thin line Geraldo Rivera knows so well.

ETA: I'm glad the US and its allies reacted that way for the record (to include France! :o ). A line in the sand has to be drawn... none of Iran's actions have been gestures of good will since forever. Whether we're talking of the elections awhile back, or the BS nuclear summit they held because we didn't invite them-- or the countless other reasons. Enough is getting to be enough.

How do you figure bombing raids on Iranian cities would be difficult even in the least?

We would, but probably wouldn't even have to use the Stealth bombers.

In addition,. their is absolutely NO way Iran can close the straights of hormuz.

Ask them what happened when they tried in the 80's when they were waring with Iraq.

Of course closing the Straits of Hormuz would piss off a lot of people in the region, but in open conflict with the United States, there's really nobody worse that they could tick off. There are measures in place, mostly static ones (meaning not their Navy) that would make it quite difficult to pass, possibly creating a kill zone.

As for their SAM (surface-to-air) capabilities, they have more then I could name, and really it wouldn't behoove me to share specifics of that kind of information. But for reference, back during the Cold War, Moscow surrounded itself with a ridiculous amount of SAMs-- Tehran has done the same. As for their tech, its not as primitive as people think (I'd rather not get into details about that either), and is quite capable of defending against US systems.

Saturation seems like it might work, but that would result in a lot of civilian deaths. In the case of Iran, civilian deaths would be far more costly then say civilian deaths in Iraq or Afghanistan, and would be detrimental in the overall effort.

Of course closing the Straits of Hormuz would piss off a lot of people in the region, but in open conflict with the United States, there's really nobody worse that they could tick off. There are measures in place, mostly static ones (meaning not their Navy) that would make it quite difficult to pass, possibly creating a kill zone.

As for their SAM (surface-to-air) capabilities, they have more then I could name, and really it wouldn't behoove me to share specifics of that kind of information. But for reference, back during the Cold War, Moscow surrounded itself with a ridiculous amount of SAMs-- Tehran has done the same. As for their tech, its not as primitive as people think (I'd rather not get into details about that either), and is quite capable of defending against US systems.

Saturation seems like it might work, but that would result in a lot of civilian deaths. In the case of Iran, civilian deaths would be far more costly then say civilian deaths in Iraq or Afghanistan, and would be detrimental in the overall effort.

No, please get into the details.

This..the Iranians have bought up every obsolete SAM system they could get their hands on..even 40 year old missiles can kill you when they launch 50 of them at a time. This is not 1942, we as a nation CANNOT saturation bomb Civilian targets..PERIOD, and the Iranians know this. As far as Hormuz, that isnt as difficult, you run a drone down the coastline, with Queers (EA-6B's) gathering up al of the sigint from the costal SAM sites protecting the antiship missiles... Iron hand to take out the SAMS then an Alpha strike to take out their antiship stuff. Keep the FFG's on station to sink any of their "Gum/Missile Boats that venture out. Let Achmadickhead bunker down in Tehran all he wants. Iran has no organic Petro refining plants. blockade them and dont allow any fuel to be brought in.. That general uprising we've been hearing about would follow pretty soon after that..just understand that a DIRECT attack ont he civilian population would actually work in the bearded Midget's favor, and against OUR best interests.

Bluntly, I cannot because I do not know what is classified and what is not classified currently. I'm in no position or mood to figure that out either.

But I'll be vague so I'm not a total tease... Iran gets a lot of their tech and assets from others who are darn good at re-engineering... as for the Strait, there would be a massive dolphin shortage in the US... and as for Iran's strategy, its not how big, but how they use it.

ETA: Kdp actually brought up good details. The choke would work (regarding the petro), but I'm not sure about the uprising of their population. There are rumors floating around that country that the IRGC is far more powerful/influential then intelligence communities thought. Understand that the Iranian Republic Guard is not just an arm of the military/Ayatollah, like what the SS was for Nazi. From what is known, IRGC is quite comprehensive and involved throughout most every facet of the Iranian society. Even if people rose up, retribution would be swift.

Bluntly, I cannot because I do not know what is classified and what is not classified currently. I'm in no position or mood to figure that out either.

But I'll be vague so I'm not a total tease... Iran gets a lot of their tech and assets from others who are darn good at re-engineering... as for the Strait, there would be a massive dolphin shortage in the US... and as for Iran's strategy, its not how big, but how they use it.

ETA: Kdp actually brought up good details. The choke would work (regarding the petro), but I'm not sure about the uprising of their population. There are rumors floating around that country that the IRGC is far more powerful/influential then intelligence communities thought. Understand that the Iranian Republic Guard is not just an arm of the military/Ayatollah, like what the SS was for Nazi. From what is known, IRGC is quite comprehensive and involved throughout most every facet of the Iranian society. Even if people rose up, retribution would be swift.

The rather brutal response to the Protests over the last election surprised a LOT of people. Simple fact is that the IRGC IS a lot more influential, but there is still a HUGE amount of the population that wants Achmedouchebag, and the Mullah's out. I wont go so fat as to say "Pro-America" although there are more than you would think, but eventually, there are going to be too many for the IRGC to supress...and then it's gonna get ugly. You'll see Republican gaurds hanging from streetlights, and heads on Pikes.

The rather brutal response to the Protests over the last election surprised a LOT of people. Simple fact is that the IRGC IS a lot more influential, but there is still a HUGE amount of the population that wants Achmedouchebag, and the Mullah's out. I wont go so fat as to say "Pro-America" although there are more than you would think, but eventually, there are going to be too many for the IRGC to supress...and then it's gonna get ugly. You'll see Republican gaurds hanging from streetlights, and heads on Pikes.

This is SO on point. As I have posted in the past in regards to some lawyer claiming all muslims want to kill us, we really need to get our asses in gear and start to realize that there are a great many Muslims that want what we want. Many of them are dying right now in their own struggle against fanaticism.

there would be a massive dolphin shortage in the US...

You gotta splain this to me. I don't get this particular line though the rest of it is crystal.

http://www.spawar.navy.mil/sandiego/technology/mammals/ . But as kdp pointed out, the Hormuz can be wired to blow. Between the SSMs (Surface to Sea missiles) and deployment of mines, even if no ships are actually damaged, the harassment would most likely alter the course of action... and we've seen what happens in history when joint-service operations start falling apart. Next thing you know, someone gives the boots on the ground the all-clear, and they're landing on heavily fortified positions that were never addressed because other aspects of the operation were cut out. It sounds ridiculous, but history tells otherwise.

As for the IRGC, I have heard that elements within the government itself (one rumor going as far as to name even the Ayatollah) are very unhappy with the amount of power the IRGC is amassing... worrying it could lead to a coup or worse. So, its understandable to see the people rise up. I just feel that the IRGC needs the support of the Iranian government, and vice versa, right now more then pursuing any speculative pursuits of their own that could cause any destabilization.