MedicYeti

I got to thinking.

I was in my Man Cave (finished attac) last night cleaning some guns. I have a single window that looks down the street and over some income-assisted apartments. A noticed a police car with it's lights flashing in front of one of the apartments, (routine for this apartment). Out of curiosity I killed the lights and grabbed some binoculars to watch the events. A single officer was taking a subject into custody, the subject was not fighting the officer. I could also see into the apartments and noticed a few people standing on balconies watching the events unfold.

Strange hypothetical situations occur in my brain from time to time. I began to wonder what I would do if the situation went bad. If someone on the balcony opened fire on the officer, what would I do.

The apartment is about 400 yards away, from my vantage point I have a clear view. I own a Remington 700 suped up to be a tactical tack driving rifle. My scope is zero'd to 300 yards and on a clear calm morning I can shoot 2" groups at 300 yards. I could hit a person at 400 yards.

If things got bad for the officer and their life was in immideate danger I think I'd eliminate the threat. I'm sure there would be legal hurdles after the shot, but I couldn't watch an officer get gunned down.

What would you do? Do you have a tool and the ability to intervene?

I was in my Man Cave (finished attac) last night cleaning some guns. I have a single window that looks down the street and over some income-assisted apartments. A noticed a police car with it's lights flashing in front of one of the apartments, (routine for this apartment). Out of curiosity I killed the lights and grabbed some binoculars to watch the events. A single officer was taking a subject into custody, the subject was not fighting the officer. I could also see into the apartments and noticed a few people standing on balconies watching the events unfold.

Strange hypothetical situations occur in my brain from time to time. I began to wonder what I would do if the situation went bad. If someone on the balcony opened fire on the officer, what would I do.

The apartment is about 400 yards away, from my vantage point I have a clear view. I own a Remington 700 suped up to be a tactical tack driving rifle. My scope is zero'd to 300 yards and on a clear calm morning I can shoot 2" groups at 300 yards. I could hit a person at 400 yards.

If things got bad for the officer and their life was in immideate danger I think I'd eliminate the threat. I'm sure there would be legal hurdles after the shot, but I couldn't watch an officer get gunned down.

If society has devolved, take the shot. In NJ right now, call 911.

The legal hurdles would be a pat on the back before they shove you into a cell and weld it shut behind you.

To save a life? Take the shot.

"why did you go to prison?"

"I shot a man trying to shoot a cop"

Notice I didn't say "I shot a man running away after shooting a cop". I would draw the line there.

I have long ago come to terms with the fact that saving my life or someone else' s through the use of my firearms might put me in jail. My conscience would be clear and my life would probably be worse off due to lawyers, but that is why I take the time to know what is right and what is legal.

No good deed goes unpunished

what a hard call... if your actions honestly saved the life of a cop, and did not injure any innocent party.. i think you would walk.. BUT it really would be a toss up.. I have actually thought about that at least once while driving around with firearms in my car.. i mean its SO unlikely i doubt you or I will ever have to make that call.. but who knows..

what a hard call... if your actions honestly saved the life of a cop, and did not injure any innocent party.. i think you would walk.. BUT it really would be a toss up.. I have actually thought about that at least once while driving around with firearms in my car.. i mean its SO unlikely i doubt you or I will ever have to make that call.. but who knows..

I agree. Even with my limited exposure to real combat I can tell you that if you had to load an unloaded magazine and then pistol or rifle the ordeal would be over before you could do anything preventive.

In which case I carry the equivalent to an Army medic pack. The kind ordinary soldiers carry, not the medics.

Actually there is a fairly interesting story there, which I wrote into a story, if anyone is interested.

To many unknowns? What if the shooter on the balcony was an UC officer aming at a suspect you didnt see? What if the gun was a toy and the person on the balcony was being stupid? What if you missed and the bullet hit someone else? What if you hit and the bullet passed threw into a child next door? At 400 yrds in a residential area theres just too many other variables! I'd call 911.

I think we all, deep down in our hearts would love to use deadly force for a justifiable reason one day to save someone elses lives or are own but the reality is truly Not one of us should want to or have to make that split second decision! Thats why most of us have different types of jobs, business owners, mechanics, computer software...etc. Very few have chosen the path of the Protector (LE) and for good reason! Its not for everyone. Life on the line everyday, seeing and dealing with the other side of humanity we only read about... NO...Hell NO!And for some of us its to late to change careers now...lol

To many unknowns? What if the shooter on the balcony was an UC officer aming at a suspect you didnt see? What if the gun was a toy and the person on the balcony was being stupid? What if you missed and the bullet hit someone else? What if you hit and the bullet passed threw into a child next door? At 400 yrds in a residential area theres just too many other variables! I'd call 911.

if a cop.. was being SHOT AT.. and i had a firearm.. and it was OBVIOUS that he was in trouble.. to the point where there was NO reasonable doubt.. i would like to think that i would aid the officer.. NOT because i WANT to shoot anyone.. NOT because i like guns.. but simply because that is a human being who through the course of his job puts his life on the line EVERY day, for me.. to live safely.. and aiding the officer even if not socially OR legally correct, would IMO be the least you could do.. you can make tons of twists and conditions where it would NOT be the right thing to do "well what if the guy in the cop uniform hiding behind the cop car bleeding to death was really a criminal, and the guy who looked like some kind of "thug" shooting his gun "sideways" at the "cop" was really an undercover officer" well if that is the situation I guess I am screwed..

if a cop.. was being SHOT AT.. and i had a firearm.. and it was OBVIOUS that he was in trouble.. to the point where there was NO reasonable doubt.. i would like to think that i would aid the officer.. NOT because i WANT to shoot anyone.. NOT because i like guns.. but simply because that is a human being who through the course of his job puts his life on the line EVERY day, for me.. to live safely.. and aiding the officer even if not socially OR legally correct, would IMO be the least you could do.. you can make tons of twists and conditions where it would NOT be the right thing to do "well what if the guy in the cop uniform hiding behind the cop car bleeding to death was really a criminal, and the guy who looked like some kind of "thug" shooting his gun "sideways" at the "cop" was really an undercover officer" well if that is the situation I guess I am screwed..

I'm in agreement with you Damaged but only under the cicumstances in your statement! As far as Medicyeti's Im gonna stand firm in that there is to many unknowns at 400 yrds in a residental area w/HPR. :think:

Call sharpton and jesse too

no, they would tell me I should have shot the cop. The police are tools of an opressive white govenrment therefore used to stomp on the rights of Americas miniorities. If yeti would have shot the cop the situation would have ended just as quickly as it would have if he shot the armed, opressed owner of an illegal firearm (also due to opression).

Not the ones I want on my side.

I think we can all agree that the difference between my thread and yours is that mine is 20/20 retrospect and yours is not as nearly defined.

For what its worth, now that I know you have had to make many calls in the face of medical emergencies I would believe that all those variables would be taken into account (by you) and your decision would be made accordingly.

The fact is the hypothetical has infinite variables, but what you see in the moment does not. You can only explain that afterwards to be justified. before hand it is fantasy.

And that is the key; before it happens it is fantasy, while it happens is urgency, after the fact is history.