S&W39

East Brunswick Police Training Facility

There is a very nice shooting facility in East Brunswick, for official use only.I've inquired several times with the proper authorities on letting the public use it where it would not interfere with any police training.I was told that it would be taken into consideration.That response came a year ago.The range is under used and is operating at a loss for over 5 years.I think if enough people showed an interest in this facility, it would be taken more seriously for public use. There are at least 5 other NJ townships that allow public range use. I did mention this at the time I inquired about this subject. East Brunswick Township has a website just click on Depts and write to the mayor, maybe with enough interest it could happen. Thanks http://www.eastbrunswick.org/

There is a very nice shooting facility in East Brunswick, for official use only.I've inquired several times with the proper authorities on letting the public use it where it would not interfere with any police training.I was told that it would be taken into consideration.That response came a year ago.The range is under used and is operating at a loss for over 5 years.I think if enough people showed an interest in this facility, it would be taken more seriously for public use. There are at least 5 other NJ townships that allow public range use. I did mention this at the time I inquired about this subject. East Brunswick Township has a website just click on Depts and write to the mayor, maybe with enough interest it could happen. Thanks http://www.eastbrunswick.org/

Its a great idea, but I can't see the PD/Township willingly taking on that kind of liability.

I'm not an insurance underwriter, but I'm thinking that there would be a lot involved in this other than just opening the door.

I never expected it to be a simple process.Thats why I provided the township with the name of police ranges in NJ that do open certain days to the public so they could inquire about the feasibility of such an undertaking.I know there are details to work out,but I think its worth it for them to explore their options when it's costing them hundreds of thousands at a loss annually. The initial cost of the EB facility cost over a million dollars.EB thought that other towns PD would rent it out,but most PD go to Fort Dix to qualify. The building lays there unused the majority of the time,its a touchy subject in EB.I just thought to throw the idea out there hoping to start some momentum.

Its a great idea, but I can't see the PD/Township willingly taking on that kind of liability.

I'm not an insurance underwriter, but I'm thinking that there would be a lot involved in this other than just opening the door.

+1 Even tho I'm sure the township could use the revenue? I doubt it will happen.

Every township in NJ could use extra revene. As you all know NJ is not the most supportive state for citizen gun rights.I feel that most gun owners in this state feel like its a loosing battle. If some towns are convinced its a successful venture in other towns, they might see opening the range to the public as a good idea. It could be used by township or maybe county residents.Giving up without trying is what the anti gun lobby wants.It started with one handgun a month,whats next? Maybe one gun every 3 months, then maybe every 6 months.I think overtime, finding a place to shoot in NJ is going to get more scarce.I feel the more pressure the shooting community puts on local and state levels we can continue to enjoy our hobby.This reminds me when shooters apply for permits. Some shooters wait a few months, some people wait 2 weeks. There is no continuity in this state when it comes to gun rights.Thats why I presented the fact to local officials that other towns in NJ open their police ranges for public use, why can't another.As I mentioned in previous posts, there are at least 5 townships that allow their police range for public use.I hope supporters of privately owned shooting facilities don't find this a threat to their businesses. I feel there can't be enough places to shoot in NJ.

It is excellent news that someone is approaching EB council to allow access to the Police Range here. I live in EB and have heard that it is a great little range. As alluded to previously, I've also heard that the question of access is related to liability. If it were open I would definitely use it.

Regarding the attitude of EB towards the firearm owning community, I must say that I have found them generally supportive. I know that they are not the speediest in NJ, nor are they the most gun-friendly, but they are definitely not hostile. Frankly, I believe that the whole thing is a non-issue for them, and that they simply get around to it when they have time.

How do we move the range issue forward - is there any way to raise it at a Council meeting?

happy shooting

G

I just received an e-mail from the mayor, he supports the idea, but he has always gotten opposition from the town council.I guess alot of residents would have to convince the town council that this is a beneficial idea. I think when they here guns they get nervous, and to guys like us we approach it as a hobby. I would like to ask the council how much revenue the town obtains from the dog park that they approved to build? The park opened about a year ago. The only thing to do is appeal to the town council. Maybe if enough EB gun owners would write to the Mayor, he would have more leverage. I still think it's a possibility if approached the right way. Thanks

I also started writing to EB council members. You'll find them on the EB web site also. The mayor e-mailed me again in reponse to my second E-mail,which I stated it sounds more like a pro vs anti gun debate.He said that was absolutely right.EB claims to be all about diversity,how about the council being alittle open minded to suggestions,and at least considering the idea. In your letters to whomever, always mention other towns in NJ that allow the use of their Police Ranges to the public,at least local residents. Keep it going,

My old unit use to train and qualify on the local police range. We provided our own ammunition (had to use frangible rounds), as well as did a full police call (trash/brass/a**) so that none of the responsibility would fall on the police or other area workers (and so we wouldn't be taking advantage of the local populace's taxes)-- not to mention paying for the rental fees. Even then, we were eventually asked to go elsewhere because of liability reasons (no accidents or close calls). I think it would be a pretty ideal setup to be able to use the facilities, but I'm a bit skeptical of it working out. Regardless, if I was a resident of EB, I would be writing to whomever myself to see if it could happen. Good luck, and keep us updated.

frangible?? jeese... mega $$$$$

when I wrote I suggested that it would be a good idea if local civilian shooters and police/sherriff service officers came into contact more - maybe I'm naive, but I think it would be a good thing for these two communities to mix more, because it would dispel the impression that we're all a bunch of gun toting whack jobs... (er.. we're not, are we???? lol).

I think that an important part of working to remove peoples' fear of firearms is to show the police (most of whom know) and the local politicians (most of whom hold their beliefs for the best of motives, some of whom are control freaks), that by and large as a community, civilian gun owners are obsessed with obeying the law, teaching and promulgating safety, and learning to use their firearms well in order to shoot accurately.

So, I'm for a sort of reverse comunity outreach in this case - the range could provide a focus for this.

The next council meeting is June 10th - anyone want to go and speak?

G

I'm not much of a public speaker, but there is strength in numbers. If there is a way of contacting legal gun owners in EB, a list of people in favor of this should be presented to the town council. I don't believe they would take 2 guys looking for a place to shoot too seriously. I think if the council could see the actual interest in this idea especially from a fiscal angle it would be a great help.This Police Range was built about 7 years ago. At the time there was much talk about Police Ranges closing in NJ.EB jumped on the idea of "built it and they will come". They built it, but not too many came. The reason being all those other Police Ranges never closed.This issue is EB's touchy topic.The facility sits there unused most of the time,and nobody takes a step to correct it. EB's claim to fame is "diversity", but not when it comes to open mindedness and common sense. I've also started writing to council members.I still have no reply,which I'm not surprised at. If you know a good public speaker who would be interested,get them on board.

The police ranges that are open as far I know from researching the net are,Atlantic County Training Facility Egg Harbor,Police Assoc. of South Jersey Berlin, Waldwick Police Range,BayonnePolice Range,Riverdale Police Range. I E-mailed the EB mayor stating I wrote to members of the town council.He wants to know how they respond. I'm even wondering if they will respond. He likes the idea, but he can't do a thing without the councils approval.

Here's the letter I sent to every member of the EB Town Council a few weeks ago. Attn: Town Council Members:

As a resident of East Brunswick I would like to suggest the use of the EB Police Training Facility for legal firearm owners who are residents of EB. I believe the Police Training Facility could provide revenue for EB. The Police Training Facility is under- utilized and operating at a substantial financial loss. There are many legally registered firearm owners residing in EB, the Police Records Dept would attest to that. All EB residents in accordance with NJ state law must get finger printed, obtain character references, get state and local police approval, and pass federal background checks before being issued a firearms permit. There are at least five other townships in NJ that permit the use of their police ranges when not being used for official business, some for residents, others for both resident and non residents. Firearm permits are issued in EB regularly. There are plenty of EB firearm owners who pay other facilities annually for use of their ranges. These ranges are located in Old Bridge, South River, Jackson, Lakewood, West Windsor and Brick. The fees at these ranges cost from $200 to $500 annually. Since the firearms are already legally owned by residents in EB and, there

It will be interesting seeing how this will all play out. This facility has been under utilized since its opening, and is considered to be a bust by many residents.

If enough people write to the Town Council and show an interest, there might be a possibility the EB range would be open to the public. Fellow shooters have to show an interest, so keep on writing and show your support, otherwise this issue will just fade away.