MJP

Being on meds as a teenager - will it affect a permit?

Hey all, this is a bit delicate, so bear with me for a moment.

When I was 16-17 years old, I was seeing a psychiatrist and on meds. At no point was I ever involuntarily committed, and at no point was any state authority involved. It was done through my parents' health insurance. This was a seven-month period from 1999-2000.

I'm looking over the form to apply for a first-time firearms purchasing card. They're requesting me to say yes or no to whether or not I was ever treated by a psychiatrist. Also I'll need to submit the form to allow a mental health records search.

My questions:

1) Would my records even be on file from that far back?

2) Should I say Yes, and if so, would I basically be barred from owning a firearm pending possible appeals?

3) Should I submit a letter from my psychiatrist with my application stating that I'm definitely not a threat to myself or others by owning a firearm?

Any input is appreciated.

The first thing you should do is disregard all opinions on this forum unless your using them to see if you should go to a lawyer. If that's the case yes you should. If NJ fails you because of meds chances are every background check will then fail you. If you move to PA the Brady check might fail you because NJ flagged you. This is your birth right as an American. Invest in a consultation with a lawyer to make sure it's protected. If it's determined to be a coin flip then I would not do it. I would wait a while as you might move to a free state or as time passes it might improve your chances here.

Opinion: I would get a copy of your health records, see if it mentions it, if not, answer no on the application.

see that raises another question. I answered No on question 26, I went and saw a dr for some advice and stress for marital issues. I did not feel that it was a "condition". I have no idea where to gert the records the state is looking to pull with the mental health records release. I had to mail a request to my insurer and otherwise have no idea where else to look. There is no way to access your health records like say a credit report or a Personal recoprd request from the NJSP

I think that I answewred it right, but only time will tell as I have been told by more than a few Psychology teachers that alot of insurers push for a diagnisis of condition in order to pay. So who knows what a dr would diagnose and if they would willingly share it with me.(I was never told I had a condition)

The first thing you should do is disregard all opinions on this forum unless your using them to see if you should go to a lawyer. If that's the case yes you should. If NJ fails you because of meds chances are every background check will then fail you. If you move to PA the Brady check might fail you because NJ flagged you. This is your birth right as an American. Invest in a consultation with a lawyer to make sure it's protected. If it's determined to be a coin flip then I would not do it. I would wait a while as you might move to a free state or as time passes it might improve your chances here.

In my opinion, this is sound advice. I would seek legal representation. Especially a lawyer that does gun license cases...It may cost you a little but if you take a chance and lose, it will cost you more by not being able to get a permit in the long run.

I went and seen a psychiatrist... but I didn't do it through health insurance.. I answered "No" and it was ok, in my case I would only answer yes if I say failed a mental health test, or went to see a psychologist. Also was only there to vent a few times, but I wasn't going steadily and wasn't given any medication.

and if they found you to be a danger, you would of been arrested and put in a white jacket. So your obviously not in the padded room, so you should have been found to not be a danger to yourself or anyone else.

I believe it's the law that they have to contact authorities if you are found to be a possible danger.

EDIT: since you were going for months, and used health insurance, along with getting issued medication, I would consult a lawyer.

Thanks for all your advice, everyone. I'm going to talk to a lawyer; Middlesex County has a referral service. $35 maximum fee gets you a 30-minute consultation.

I seriously don't think it's going to be an issue, but I figure that going the route of compliance will require serious justification on my part.

I defer to those that advise talking to a lawyer and I see that is the route you are taking, so I am merely presenting this as an idea.

I was in a similar position when I applied for my NYC permit. It asks if you were ever discharged from the military for "less than honorable conditions." When I initially joined it was as a Reserve soldier so my initial training was active duty then a release to the Reserves. You get a DD-214 after release from active and so I had one after 6 months of training. This one said my discharge was "uncharacterized," which is less than honorable, however totally normal for only completely Basic, AIT and then going to Reserve status.

I used a NRA approved agent and he recommended that instead of just checking the box or writing in a date and time to write "see attached" in the space provided on the form for date and attach a note, which I did. The note explained the situation and long story short it was far better than sweating the "I have been drilling with the Reserves and I have a security clearence but I have this silly as DD-214 on record. I don't want to just answer 'no' and get nailed."

As he explained, "see attached" will always infer that there is another page and if the two are separated the application would never stand alone with "see attached," written as an answer. forthermore, it would never have the answer yes or no. THey would HAVE TO find the attached note or call me.

Your lawyer would know best of course and this may not even apply in NJ, but I would be interested to hear what comes of this

Middlesex County referral service had me on the phone with a New Brunswick attorney who does a lot of mental health advocacy. She said I might also want to get a referral to an administrative law attorney since firearms permit applications are considered administrative law in NJ.

I'll report back once I have the appointment fixed up - currently going to be Friday afternoonish since work is letting us out early - but the MH lawyer said that it really shouldn't affect me. We'll know more after my appointment with her.

Then again, this is all a bit premature since my wife hasn't been hired on as a teacher yet, so buying a nice Mark II or Mark III is a bit out of the question until that happens. D:

Middlesex County referral service had me on the phone with a New Brunswick attorney who does a lot of mental health advocacy. She said I might also want to get a referral to an administrative law attorney since firearms permit applications are considered administrative law in NJ.

I'll report back once I have the appointment fixed up - currently going to be Friday afternoonish since work is letting us out early - but the MH lawyer said that it really shouldn't affect me. We'll know more after my appointment with her.

Then again, this is all a bit premature since my wife hasn't been hired on as a teacher yet, so buying a nice Mark II or Mark III is a bit out of the question until that happens. D:

Any update on this? I have virtually the same situation as you. I saw a phychologist around the same time as a teen ('99 ish) and then to a psychiatrist who prescribed me with what I refer to now as Generation Y puberty meds. I took for 2 weeks and told my Mom I didn't want to take meds or see anyone anymore. My hormones were just rampant lol. I got stuck on the application too when I saw that block. Seems foolish to disapprove because of it but I don't want to disclose and have that be the factor that for some reason does disapprove me.

I honestly don't know why I decided to move back to NJ. It's so expensive and liberal criminal supporters put the vice grip on normal folks.

If only we had a President who ran on "Scope and Range" instead of bozo's

:hope:

I spoke with my psychiatrist - he says it's completely normal and that he signs off on letters for patients looking to purchase firearms all the time so long as he does feel they're safe. He said it'd take a few weeks to have my records pulled and sent over so he can verify them and certify beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I'm glad he's being that thorough - all the better to make my permit ironclad. Plus it gives me time to decide between Neos v. Buckmark, Marlin 60 vs. insert bolt-action .22 here, or Ruger Single Six vs. Heritage Rough Rider.

I did not follow this thread all the way through but that last post jarred my memory a little. I remember in the nineties when docs were prescribing meds like mad just for hyper kids . They were saying the whole generation had ADD and writing scrips like crazy for normal childhood excess energy. Scary sometimes what these supposed learned people do.

I did not follow this thread all the way through but that last post jarred my memory a little. I remember in the nineties when docs were prescribing meds like mad just for hyper kids . They were saying the whole generation had ADD and writing scrips like crazy for normal childhood excess energy. Scary sometimes what these supposed learned people do.

They do it for the buck, not necessarily because its true. I have a good deal of close friends who finished up their pharmaceutical doctorates, and they have told me how shady that business has and is today. Its sickening, but its almost a necessary evil for many as society continues its 'culture of youth.'

They do it for the buck, not necessarily because its true. I have a good deal of close friends who finished up their pharmaceutical doctorates, and they have told me how shady that business has and is today. Its sickening, but its almost a necessary evil for many as society continues its 'culture of youth.'

There was recently an announcement that the pharmaceutical compnaies are doing research to trumpet the reduction in violent crime over the last 10 years to advances in medication. Forget guns or police work, they want the credit.

Parents, advertising, and greedy/lazy doctors are largely the problem with over/incorrect prescribing. The child has "some symptom"... probably something that we all as adults have learned to cope with (like depression). The parent goes crazy looking up online about the problem, etc etc and makes a diagnosis. They see some advertisement for this wonder drug that fixes this problem. They go to their doctor, the doctor says its probably nothing. The parent flips out saying they are dumb, they want meds, they saw this ad, they want it for their kid. Instead of sticking to their guns, the doc prescribes. They keep business cause the parents are disgruntled over no prescription, the drug makers make money on the drugs, more drugs are made and advertised, and the kids get f-ed up over it all. When the kid grows up 10 years later they never learned how to deal with life cause it was swallowed away with some pill. A shame really... what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!

I would call a lawyer! one who specializes in hand gun law. As faras i have heard Evan Nappen, esq is top rated here in NJ. I heard that from my firearms instructor. You are touching on a very delicate legal question that should only be answered by a lawyer.

Look, I don't want to cause drama - but I can 100% assure you I was not given meds hastily and for no reason. It was for a legitimate medical requirement and was combined with very, very effective talk therapy. I was on the meds for less than eight months and it was like night and day. I understand that there's serious controversy concerning over-medication, but please don't assume anyone on meds is just looking for pills. :-/

Anyway, update. I filled out two sets of the paperwork and two sets of the MH record check form and made an appointment with the Highland Park PD detective bureau to drop off the papers and make sure everything is in order. I'll get my appointment with Sagem Morpho once I have the ID off the paperwork (Can't schedule in advance. Oh well) and we'll go from there.

I did stop by Rutgers Gun & Boat Shop in Highland Park to get my hands on a basic .22 rifle and see what I liked. There was (I think) a Mossberg 41 bolt-action that felt pretty good. The owners mentioned that usually HP will take 2 months, so here's hoping I can get some outdoor shooting in before the season is out.

damn... they let you handle the guns without a FID? :shock:

All that jib jab about meds... that wasn't aimed at you personally. I'm just sayin thats what my belief is over the last decade or so since all this ADD depression panic attack BS came out. Obviously there are legitimate uses for everything... if it helped you thats all fine and dandy.

I did stop by Rutgers Gun & Boat Shop in Highland Park to get my hands on a basic .22 rifle and see what I liked. There was (I think) a Mossberg 41 bolt-action that felt pretty good. The owners mentioned that usually HP will take 2 months, so here's hoping I can get some outdoor shooting in before the season is out.

Where in HP is that man? I should stop by with you.

damn... they let you handle the guns without a FID? :shock:

Well, I walked in, and the rifles were out on display with a metal braided lock line through them, but it wasn't locked. The owners didn't seem to really care. It was only yesterday when I went to Heritage Firearms in Rahway that I found out no FID = no handle. Whoops.

Where in HP is that man? I should stop by with you.

It's right on Raritan Ave. Hell of a selection including a few Arisakas. Not intended for firing but still, Arisakas! :dance:

The place looks perpetually closed on the outside but it's legit.

Update: I went to HP PD yesterday to hand in the paperwork. There were additional forms that I had to fill out concerning whether I was ever adjudicated a juvenile delinquent and if I or anyone in my household had ever had a restraining order filed against us. I'm pretty sure these were covered on the state form but oh well.

I asked about the meds and psychiatrist. One of the detectives came in so the secretary asked her, and the detective told me I didn't have to tell him but he might be able to clear things up. I explained why I had seen the psychiatrist and he said that the state, at their option, might require me to see another psychiatrist at my expense and have them certify that I was no longer affected. He said that even though it was ten years ago, better to state it on the application.

The county auditor would make the call as to whether to grant the permit without a psych visit or require me to make the visit, but he said it wasn't the town PD's call to make.

So there you have it, they said they'd get on it but they couldn't give an ETA. Looks like it's in the queue for me.

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone!

Update: received a letter today from one of the HPPD detectives. He asked me to contact the psychiatrist I'd listed on question 26 and have him forward a letter to the dept. with the condition I was treated for, duration of treatment, and medications I was prescribed in order to move forward.

While I question the medical necessity of the police department knowing anything more than whether a psychiatrist considers me a threat to society or myself by owning a firearm, I'm stunned that someone looked at the paperwork so quickly. I'm hoping the low crime rate in Highland Park is the reason behind detectives having so much time to work on FID and handgun permit applications.

I'd already called the psychiatrist and spoken with him and he's probably gotten his recordings and paperwork back from record storage so hopefully he'll be able to attest to their needs. I'm guessing once it gets put into whatever packet is sent to Middlesex County they'll decide whether I need to be signed off on by another shrink or if I'm denied/approved thusly.

I hope I'm not spamming too much - who knows, maybe this will serve to help someone else who's had issues that require the help of more than a psychologist to enjoy recreational shooting or - hopefully not for the worst-case scenario readoning - a CCW. I don't plan on owning much for personal or home defense, just to enjoy shooting, but if something this minor is a barrier I shudder to think about what the process is like for someone who was ever actually in a mental institution at one point.

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone!

Update: received a letter today from one of the HPPD detectives. He asked me to contact the psychiatrist I'd listed on question 26 and have him forward a letter to the dept. with the condition I was treated for, duration of treatment, and medications I was prescribed in order to move forward.

While I question the medical necessity of the police department knowing anything more than whether a psychiatrist considers me a threat to society or myself by owning a firearm, I'm stunned that someone looked at the paperwork so quickly. I'm hoping the low crime rate in Highland Park is the reason behind detectives having so much time to work on FID and handgun permit applications.

I'd already called the psychiatrist and spoken with him and he's probably gotten his recordings and paperwork back from record storage so hopefully he'll be able to attest to their needs. I'm guessing once it gets put into whatever packet is sent to Middlesex County they'll decide whether I need to be signed off on by another shrink or if I'm denied/approved thusly.

I hope I'm not spamming too much - who knows, maybe this will serve to help someone else who's had issues that require the help of more than a psychologist to enjoy recreational shooting or - hopefully not for the worst-case scenario readoning - a CCW. I don't plan on owning much for personal or home defense, just to enjoy shooting, but if something this minor is a barrier I shudder to think about what the process is like for someone who was ever actually in a mental institution at one point.

Not spamming.

I think this is valuable information, and it could help others.

Nice to know that HPPD is on the ball so far.