jermz1987

Bullets getting pushed back into case?

I just got two new magazines for my 1911. When I load up some JHPs I have into it and try and cycle the first round it gets hung up a little. It does not do this with only 7 rounds in the mag. Only when I put 8 in. When I take out the round it looks like the bullet has been pushed into the casing. Here are some pics. Is this the bullets fault or is it something with the gun?

Picture351.jpg

Picture349.jpg

Best guess without hands on is that the rounds are nose diving a bit into the feed ramp when being stripped off the mag. What mags are they? Do you know what weight spring is in your pistol? Does it do it if you slingshot it instead of using the slide release? Hows the extractor tension?

It doesn't happen with 7 rounds in the mag, only with 8...

My guess is that your magazine spring is unusually stiff, which is probably causing (as Shane mentioned) the first round to nose dive into the feed ramp, and probably the slide is then coming forward and smashing the bullet into the feed ramp which is causing it to recede into the casing until the nose of the bullet decides to take a vertical attitude (angle up in English) at which point it eventually goes into battery.

The magazines are Chip McCormicks. They are brand new from midway. Could it be that the mags are brand new and they need to loosen up a bit? Should I load it up with 8 rounds and let them sit for a few days? It loads up if I use the slingshot method.

"It loads up if I use the slingshot method."

CMC's are good. The indication to me that since it WILL load with the slingshot method is that your recoil spring may be a little light. I run wolf 18 pound springs. These issues can be compounded by improper extractor tension or a feed ramp thats shallow or the angle is off. Also a rough feed ramp can hurt the situation as well. Pull your slide off. Take an empty casing. Feed it up under the extractor. Turn the slide upside down and back. It shouldnt go anywhere. If it does your extractor tension is to little.

I'm not going to speculatate on a cause of the malfunction without seeing it happen or at least seeing a loaded Mag and the ramp on the barrel. I will tell you this though. Those bullets shouldn't be pushing back into the cases!!!

I think Im going to have to try it. My first thought was it could easily do it even with a taper crimp having seen this happen enough times but now I want to try it.

Testing methodology: Im thinking I'll break out the Mitutoyo and get an estimate of how much distance it would travel before contact between the two hard surfaces. Then I will position a round in front of my slide and a table at the same distance and let her fly. Hardly scientific, I know but it should give a rough idea.

Hmmm, without even going out to the garage to get the calipers, id say there is easily 3/4 of an inch. Under an 18 or even a 16lb spring id say that sucker could easily get some serious momentum before contact.

Yes Shane. With a proper taper crimp those bullets shouldn't get pushed in by a single shot of the slide hitting the head of the case. What are your thoughts?

I agree with OS on this, they should not be pushed back. But keep in mind not all guns function with all ammo. This one may not like Winchester JHP's

Ammo of unknown origin: bad.

But yeah, it shouldnt do that. and you probably already know but DO NOT FIRE SET BACK AMMO the preassure goes nuts when they are seated in like that. I'de chamber a round like usual and then extract it to make sure that your not setting them ALL back even a little during the normal cycle.

There Double Tap Ammunition I got from someone. I do not believe they are reloads.

They were new in box Double Tap bullets. I got rid of all my 45s before I got a chance to shoot all my 45 ammo.

I have no first hand experience but I have seen a few postive reviews on their ammo. I think the focus is on the wrong item here. My bet is that there is nothing wrong with the ammo. My money is on the extractor, sping, feed ramp etc etc all contributers to a typical 3 point malf.

Ok just did my little experiment real quick because I need to get back to work. Used fed ball ammo and a pistol with a 16lb spring. I guaruntee I did not impart as much force as a 3 point failure because I really didnt set up enough to keep the forces from deflecting like they cant do inside the weapon. OAL before 1.2470. After 1.1835. FWIW.