Sign in to follow this  
chefhunter34

Need information Please.

A friend of mine inherited the handgun in the picture. He wants to get rid of it, I am going to pick it up from him tomorrow to keep in my safe. Does anyone have any idea what it is and or what it would sell for?

You guys know alot just by looking so I am starting here.

Thanks in advance

It is an 1858 Army cap and ball revolver. (1858 army's were the only ones with a removable cylinder). It is likely a reproduction which Cabelas sells for about 270 but as previously stated if it is original it's likely worth some money.

They are fun guns and if you've never shot black powder handguns it is a different experience. Shooting my cap and ball Navy gives me an appriciation for what our ancestors accomplished.

It is an 1858 Army cap and ball revolver. (1858 army's were the only ones with a removable cylinder). It is likely a reproduction which Cabelas sells for about 270 but as previously stated if it is original it's likely worth some money.

They are fun guns and if you've never shot black powder handguns it is a different experience. Shooting my cap and ball Navy gives me an appriciation for what our ancestors accomplished.

Over the summer, they where down to about $189 for pietta's

OK I have the gun in my possession. it says made in Italy, on the side of the barrel.Navy Arms Co. Ridgefield nj on top of the barrel

Black Powder only 44 cal on other side. The first 3 # of serial # are 086.

I am guessing from looking at it it is a reproduction . Just needs a dusting, but otherwise great shape.