intercooler

are m1 carbines legal in nj?

I am looking into buying an m1 ( i really want one :idea: of each) but I was concerned that most of the carbines I see on various places (gunbroker or CMP) have bayonet lugs and some have folding stocks.

Are these ok on this gun? I know that due to the detachable mag, the folder is not really gonna work...but what about the bayonet lug? The none folders do not have a pistol grip. Any thoughts? what should a nice rifle of either style (garand or carbine) cost?

There is a beautiful garand in the marketplace now...I wish that they'd hurry on my FID :evil:

Banned by name.

M1 Garands are ok though. Carbines are a no no.

I'm glad someone brought this up. I am utterly confused on this issue. Auto Ordnance makes a CA legal M1 without a bayonet lug and a solid stock. Why in the hell can't I buy this rifle. Banned by name is the answer I always have gotten. So are AKs, but don't people own them as long as the receiver isn't stamped AK? Can't I have a receiver milled and stamped with 'Monster-1' and say it's not a M-1?

Banned by name.

M1 Garands are ok though. Carbines are a no no.

I'm glad someone brought this up. I am utterly confused on this issue. Auto Ordnance makes a CA legal M1 without a bayonet lug and a solid stock. Why in the hell can't I buy this rifle. Banned by name is the answer I always have gotten. So are AKs, but don't people own them as long as the receiver isn't stamped AK? Can't I have a receiver milled and stamped with 'Monster-1' and say it's not a M-1?

Pretty much.. "Colt AR-15" is also banned by name...yet there are dozens if not hundreds of AR variants you can buy out there. AFAIK every Maker of M-1 Carbines Stamps the reciever with "M-1 Carbine", There may have been one variant that was made on a very limited run, by Ithaca (?) that wasnt stamped, but there werent too many of them and they are incredibly hard to find.

The AR-15 is still banned by name. The Colt match target rifle is exempt in the legal code. I think thats why all the Ar style clones are legal.

Do you really want to bet your freedom and /or tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees that the law will say " Oh well it doesn't say M-1

Carbine it must be legal then"

Do you really want to bet your freedom and /or tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees that the law will say " Oh well it doesn't say M-1

Carbine it must be legal then"

It is a ridiculous law and should be revoked. It is limiting commerce, tax collection for our bone dry coffers, and does nothing to prevent crime. Our lawmakers should all be tried for treason. They have allowed out great country to fall apart and turn to crap. Tar & feathered! :twisted: Rant over.

I'm going to contact Auto Ordnance and inform them of the market they are missing out on in New Jersey.

Very stupid.

Does the WWII version even have a flash suppressor?

The only evil thing I see is the bayonet lug.

no and most don't have a bayonet lug either. the only evil feature is a detachable magazine on the normal versions. The bayonet lug is removeable on the later versions or on ones that have it fitted. the paratrooper version HAS to be the one they were looking at when the named it. it has a pistol grip, folding stock and detachable magazine.

The story I heard was that during the final few days of the bill there was a bank robbery. Both of the robbers had m1 carbines and so they were just added to the list right before the bill was voted on.

There is no other reason to ban the weaon, I believe that the standard mag capacity is even 15rds.

Very stupid.

Does the WWII version even have a flash suppressor?

The only evil thing I see is the bayonet lug.

no and most don't have a bayonet lug either. the only evil feature is a detachable magazine on the normal versions. The bayonet lug is removeable on the later versions or on ones that have it fitted. the paratrooper version HAS to be the one they were looking at when the named it. it has a pistol grip, folding stock and detachable magazine.

Just to clarify, the detachable magazine is NOT an Evil Feature.

The Evil features list applies to a semi-auto rifle IF it has a detachable magazine.

So, if we could get to the bottom of the "banned by name" issue (ie, get an M1 carbine that doesn't say "M1 carbine"), IMO anyways, you could still have a normal stock and a bayonet lug.

Unfortunately there is that clause in the legal code that makes a renamed or slightly modified version of a banned gun illegal.

Where is this? How do 90% of us have at least 1 AR in the closet?

Actually, the other ar's are not named AR on them, however, since they are similar to an AR, they cannot have more than 2 evil features.

so stuff on the list is a no no, stuff off the list that is a clone (ie renamed) is ok, as long as it conforms.

Unfortunately there is that clause in the legal code that makes a renamed or slightly modified version of a banned gun illegal.

Where is this? How do 90% of us have at least 1 AR in the closet?

Actually, the other ar's are not named AR on them, however, since they are similar to an AR, they cannot have more than 2 evil features.

so stuff on the list is a no no, stuff off the list that is a clone (ie renamed) is ok, as long as it conforms.

That's how I understand it.

The way the law is written, there are specific named firearms, series and types. :? It is totally confusing. Written by politicians who have no idea what they were doing.

The following is only my opinion. For instance:

1. "Bushmaster Assault Rifle" is specific to only this named firearm and all variances are banned.

2. "Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series" and anything directly related to a "Colt AR" is banned.

3. "Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms" means that any variation to this type needs to be altered to the NJAG Guideline.

So where does the "M1 carbine type" fit in? {BTW, all carbines say "US CARBINE / CAL. 30 M1" and not "M1 Carbine".} It should be #3 and legal.

So are AKs, but don't people own them as long as the receiver isn't stamped AK?

NO.. we are NOT buying "AK" series rifles (AK47 AK100 AK101 etc..) we own Saigas, wasrs, etc... which are perfectly legal.. providing they are not "substantially identical" under NJ law ;)

The way the law is written, there are specific named firearms, series and types. :? It is totally confusing. Written by politicians who have no idea what they were doing.

The following is only my opinion. For instance:

1. "Bushmaster Assault Rifle" is specific to only this named firearm and all variances are banned.

2. "Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series" and anything directly related to a "Colt AR" is banned.

3. "Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms" means that any variation to this type needs to be altered to the NJAG Guideline.

So where does the "M1 carbine type" fit in? {BTW, all carbines say "US CARBINE / CAL. 30 M1" and not "M1 Carbine".} It should be #3 and legal.

You want to order one for me and we'll find out? :D

funny as i search before i post a question...

Not so much the arm you question but the mess that follows.

This, The dig wasnt directed at YOU intercooler..just the neverending discussion of how Screwed up the AWB is in this state.

The intention is not to discuss how screwed up it is at this point. Who can I contact that can give me a definition of M-1 Carbine Type? A specific individual with name, rank, and phone number would be helpful. Please don't respond with "Call the NJSP" or some other poppycock. If I can get a written description then I can work around that as far as features. I want to know why it's on the list. Not that it's been deemed a kitten killing death machine by buffoons who have never handled a firearm.

The intention is not to discuss how screwed up it is at this point. Who can I contact that can give me a definition of M-1 Carbine Type? A specific individual with name, rank, and phone number would be helpful. Please don't respond with "Call the NJSP" or some other poppycock. If I can get a written description then I can work around that as far as features. I want to know why it's on the list. Not that it's been deemed a kitten killing death machine by buffoons who have never handled a firearm.

NJSP firearms unit would be the only people you CAN call. There is no written description you are asking for. A LOT of people would like that but it hasnt been forthcoming from the NJSP or the Legilsature. I can't even find out who the original author of our AWB was in 1990, and whether or not they are even still in Govt service to ask why the carbine was included.

see the thing is that alot of guns are the "type"

look at a marlin 795...it is basically a 22 caliber gun of the same type.

It even looks like an m1 carbine

I emailed Kahr about theirs and was told that i need to check with NJ..they don't know if it's legal. I then asked if they were stamped "m1 carbine" like the originals...which they are. I then asked if they planned to make any that just had their part number instead as this would likely be ok here (as in the ar15/ak47's that are)

there reply was simple...no reply. :x

see the thing is that alot of guns are the "type"

look at a marlin 795...it is basically a 22 caliber gun of the same type.

It even looks like an m1 carbine

I emailed Kahr about theirs and was told that i need to check with NJ..they don't know if it's legal. I then asked if they were stamped "m1 carbine" like the originals...which they are. I then asked if they planned to make any that just had their part number instead as this would likely be ok here (as in the ar15/ak47's that are)

there reply was simple...no reply. :x

No reply is better than no. The :idea: just popped into someone's head. 'Holy snot! Now we know why nobody in NJ has purchased a rifle from us in the last 16 years!' Changing it or making a different part number could result in millions more in sales for their company next year. I know I'd buy 2. ;)

Edit:

It is legal. And here is my proof.

ASSAULT FIREARMS

Guidelines Regarding the "Substantially Identical" Provision in

the State's Assault Firearms Laws

Issued August 1996

TO: Director Terrence P. Farley, Division of Criminal Justice

All County Prosecutors

All Law Enforcement Chief Executives

DATE: August 19, 1996

SUBJECT: Guidelines Regarding the "Substantially Identical" Provision in the State's Assault Firearms Laws

A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be "substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it meets the below listed criteria:

A. semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

1. a folding or telescoping stock;

2. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

3. a bayonet mount;

4. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

5. a grenade launcher;

Model: AOM130, Walnut stock and handguard (shipped with 15 round surplus magazine) M-1 from Auto Ordnance is not "substantially identical" as it does not have:

1. a folding or telescoping stock;

2. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

3. a bayonet mount;

4. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

5. a grenade launcher