Sign in to follow this  
Old School

Need an Expert Opinion on Bullet Set-Back

Ok I'm having a little problem. I'm loading Dardas 200gr SWC's in 45acp. If I run my reloads through the magizine the first time there is no noticable set back of the bullet and that's good. If I run them through a second time I get the bullets setting back in the cases. Now am I being too criticle? When will I run reloads though a magazine twice? Now I have my case bell mouth die set at minimum and the taper crimp die set at maximum. And yes I am still head spacing on the case mouth. Before anyone offers suggestions please run your reloads through the magazine twice because once through I'm OK.

But I am really interested what the experiences of other folks are and if I am missing something. I'm certainly not a new reloader, but just discovered this when working up a new load.

I'd like to here your experiences.

200Grn SWC woes must be in the air! I will pull out the caliper and let you know. Just for clarity, I take you to mean you are cycling the ammo through the gun twice and getting setback?

Shane

Correct a mundo!!!

I have a solution for you Frank. Along the lines of my father's advice when I told him it hurts when I do >>>that<<< he said "DUH Don't do that!" :D

Could they be hitting the ramp on the way up and moving a few thousands back - just slightly breaking them loose. On the next cycle they get pushed back because they broke loose? Have you tried different magazines?

I remember reading something about certain magazines feeding SWC better than others in 1911 pistols.

Interesting results!!!!! I made up some dummy rounds trying to figure out what fed more reliably. Long or short.

Long load OAL 1.264

Short load OAL 1.208

At least 10 cycles with the long, no jams, no set back at all.

On the first drop of the slide, short jammed and set WAAAY back. As in below the mouth!

Taper crimp is the same on both!

Repeated with OAL of 1.218 and got the EXACT same result!

So in your case, what is the OAL of your rounds??? My suspician is they are on the short side and are getting hammered into the case.

Interesting results!!!!! I made up some dummy rounds trying to figure out what fed more reliably. Long or short.

Long load OAL 1.264

Short load OAL 1.208

At least 10 cycles with the long, no jams, no set back at all.

On the first drop of the slide, short jammed and set WAAAY back. As in below the mouth!

Taper crimp is the same on both!

Repeated with OAL of 1.218 and got the EXACT same result!

So in your case, what is the OAL of your rounds??? My suspician is they are on the short side and are getting hammered into the case.

1.270 + or - .002

hmmm. maybe a hair to long? The longest I had seen suggested was 1.265. I just loaded 50 rounds to that spec. Have you tried it a little shorter?

Shane

I'll try 1.265 and I should still have lead to crimp on. My max spec as per manual is 1.275. Won't do it until next week because switching over to 9mm so I have match ammo for the weekend.

Thanks for the heads up! Just looking for ideas.

Hey I just cycled one of my new rounds about 12 times and it did set back. Probably about 3 to 5 thou but I dont wanna go out to the garage and get the calipers :D I probably need to check the taper crimp but since I never touched that die I didnt think that would change with an OAL change :?

Strike that last post. Such a dramatic difference in setback made me go double check my crimp die. Sure enough the locking ring was backed out and the die had backed out a bit so my crimp was way off.

If you missed my update in my thread, going to 1.265 finished off my issues.

Shane