Frank Jack Fiamingo

NJ Senate Bill No. 69 supporting the CC rights of NJ citizen

For those of you who might not be familiar with the Senate Bill No. 69 currently before the state legislature, I urge you to visit the following link:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2010/Bills/S0500/69_I1.HTM

NJ State Senators Michael J. Doherty (Dist 23) and Kevin J. O'Toole have sponsored a bill to grant the right to carry a concealed weapon to all law abiding NJ citizens. I have written my state Senator in support of this bill. I urge you to do the same. We ahve been looking for something positive to do. Well, this could be it. Following is the text of my letter:

Dear Senator Connors,

I would like the opportunity to meet with you to discuss your position on Senate Bill No. 69. I feel very strongly that every mentally capable, law abiding, person should have the right to protect their person, family and property. As a result, I strongly support bill S69 currently before the NJ legislature. This bill would make it possible for the upstanding people of New Jersey to possess, and carry upon their person, a concealed handgun for their protection. This will inevitably result in the reduction of violent crimes against person and property in the great state of New Jersey. I would like to discuss with you the ways that I, and those who like me, believe in the responsibilities that go along with freedom, can assist you in the passage of this bill.

I look forward to your prompt response in this matter.

Sincerely,

Frank Fiamingo

I think this "Bill" has been around for a while and never makes it to the floor for a vote. I have sent emails to my district regarding this and I guess it does not hurt to keep posting and "badgering" them. Gosh, if my 15 year old asks me enough times for something, i usually give in...usually!

Funny Mike :-)

Yeah, I understand. But it is still there and might be able to be revived. There is no time like the present to test the waters. Peoples ideas about government and freedom ARE undergoing a sea change IMHO. They need leaders. People who will help them focus their power. I am MUCH too old to be an idealist, but (on the other hand) I have been around long enough to notice when I see things changing.

Without reform of the CCW Application process as well, any bill granting shall issue CCW in NJ is useless anyway.

The process takes nearly six months (and mind you, the current system has only a small handful of employment related applications...imagine if there were tens of thousands) It is incredibly onerous, some steps are flat out intended to keep you from getting the permit. For example, you have to drive to a state police barracks on a tuesday or thursday morning just to pick up a piece of paper they could have just mailed you. Not to mention under current statute, the issuing judge can literally write whatever the hell he wants on your permit as far as restrictions goes. "_____ may only carry glock 19 serial 123456A on tuesdays, fridays, and during the second half of the lunar cycle as long as the humidity outside is under 40%"

I have seen people take so long to get their permit that by the time they had it, it was time to fill out for a renewal. I am not exaggerating :cry:

citation: Held a work related NJ CCW for 2 years, ask me anything.

FFDP82, Senate Bill No. 69 addresses these very issues. I refer you to my original post with the link for reference. For instance, The permits will be handled at the municipal level, and do NOT cover just a specific gun or serial number, permits to carry would be good for *FIVE* years instead of only TWO. There are some *VERY* good provisions in this bill. It completely takes out the provision that it is necessary to show that the permit is "in the public interest". It takes out the "Justifiable need" clause. Please take a look at it. They have bracketed the provisions which should be deleted, and underlined their additions to make it easier to see the salient points.

Chris Smith, who've I already sent email's to, states the need for strict gun control and likes where he stands on the issue. It would be no use writing him again about firearm related issues.

We do not necessarily need to restrict our correspondence to our own representatives. call, email, and/or write to the sponsors of the bill - Michael J Doherty, and Kevin J. O'Toole. Let them know that we support their efforts. That we stand with them, and are willing to keep up the pressure on our own reps. Also contact Gov. Christie, and let him know that we want the bill to be considered, and to pass. There are plenty of things we can do, especially if we work together.

Hi guys, as a well dialed in citizen here in NJ I can tell you with utmost confidence...this bill stays right where it is.

Unless you get rid of the democrats in trenton in 2011, all you will see is this bill with 2 sponsors, and never leaves committee. The reality is that the current AG, Dow hates guns, she just stopped shipments to NJ residents by the CMP, the civilain marksmanship program which is run by congress!!! Dow is from Essex county, home to many crime ridden towns, so she will never allow it, plus chris is no fan of guns at all and has shown some backpeddling and double speak on the issues already.

So while I hate to be so negative, Carry aint gonna happen in NJ unless the powers that be are the powers that flee...Remember, NJ is a slave state, where the slaves make alot of money...remember that. Its ALL about control in trenton, not about the people, just control.

You may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be a LUNATIC they're looking for. ;-p

Here's the thing. There *ARE* other Senators who can be influenced to co-sponsor this bill. That is especially true down here in the REPUBLIC of Southern Jersey. I'll give up after they pry my keyboard, pen and cell phone out of my cold dead hands. OK, prolly just BEFORE then. :-) What the hell good is a dead instigator?

Seriously though, I am going to try. Hopefully, I can get a few other epople together who will stand with me.

It's not that the legislators don't care what gun owners think, it's that they think that we are less of a threat to being reelected than the anti-gunners. Until we get our act together and speak with one voice, that impression will remain. I agree with Frank that the atmosphere is improving. The unfortunate thing is that the largest gun organization in NJ, the ANJRPC, has a policy of not pushing for new legislation. I had the opportunity to ask Steve Sweeney when the last time he spoke to someone from the ANJRPC was. He told me that they have been absent for the last 20 years.

I think that we should all become life members of the ANJRPC and then push Scott Bach to take the lead on the CCW effort.

http://www.anjrpc.org/

Just to be clear, ANJRPC does a terrific job running CR, organizing matches and many shooting programs. ANJRPC fills a critical role in NJ. There are many volunteers that keep all of this running at great personal sacrifice. My issue is with their policy of laying low until something hits their radar screen, i.e. OGAM, instead of taking a more proactive approach with legislators. My hope is that maybe if their members insisted, Scott Bach, the President of ANJRPC, would change that approach.