Sign in to follow this  
tuktuk

K98 Israeli Mauser carbine in 7.62mm

anybody knows anytin about this rifle. good? bad? anything 8) ? have a chance to get one for $300 in very very good condition. the only thing thou>> it has FN belgium markings but no israeli stamps ... how come?

PS and just to make sure ppl pay attention 8) >> its a carbine not a full length rifle.

THANK U

anybody knows anytin about this rifle. good? bad? anything 8) ? have a chance to get one for $300 in very very good condition. the only thing thou>> it has FN belgium markings but no israeli stamps ... how come?

PS and just to make sure ppl pay attention 8) >> its a carbine not a full length rifle.

THANK U

Israeli Mausers are either 1. captured k98's sold to Israel. or 2. FN made orders after the war of independence.

originally all were in 8mm mauser, however after war of independence and invest of the FN FAL, most were converted to 7.62 nato. (hence why there is a 7.62 stamped into the heel of the rifle stock.)

They were all either using standard k98 furniture if they were captures, or Israeli stocks on the later order rifles. Now the only thing is... over the years, they were remanufactured, or by importers were mixed and matched. Alot of them were sold to third world countries. So some Israeli imports came straight here in the 80's and 90's. Others were sent to Guatamala and then dug up in the fields and sent here more recently.

On the older converted k98's, the israeli symbols would only be the star of David's on the receiver/barrel. On the FN order rifles, the IDF crest was on the large ring.

7.62 was stamped onto the receivers so signifiy a converted rifle.

Condition varies greatly, however most are mixed parts, and 99% of the ones avail are converted.

Not too long ago I was able to find an original 8mm one, however it is an FN receiver off of a rifle that was converted to 308, that was then pieced back to 8mm in Israel. Either serving on a kibutz or a special army unit.

If your's is not full size k98 sized, it was sporterized, and to me is not worth $300. You can piece one together yourself for that much or less, to restore to original.

Send me a pm with more details, will be able to help you to really determine what it is.

No .308 in those right? Only designed for 7.62? Or so Ive heard...

they were designed for 7,62, however i am sure some folks are using 308 in them. Keep in mind, depending on condition of it, or how much wear the rifle has, it could be highly eroded that it doesn't matter. lol.

they were designed for 7,62, however i am sure some folks are using 308 in them. Keep in mind, depending on condition of it, or how much wear the rifle has, it could be highly eroded that it doesn't matter. lol.

My friend has one that will shot 7.62 fine, but if he put's .308 in it, the bolt gets stuck and he has to whack it with a 2x4 to get it open

My friend has one that will shot 7.62 fine, but if he put's .308 in it, the bolt gets stuck and he has to whack it with a 2x4 to get it open

I am not surprised.

You can shoot 223 in 5.56, but not the other way.

Same with 308/7.62. You can shoot 7.62 in 308, but not 308 in 7.62 as 308 has higher pressures. Correct me if i am wrong.

THANK U

Israeli Mausers are either 1. captured k98's sold to Israel. or 2. FN made orders after the war of independence.

originally all were in 8mm mauser, however after war of independence and invest of the FN FAL, most were converted to 7.62 nato. (hence why there is a 7.62 stamped into the heel of the rifle stock.)

They were all either using standard k98 furniture if they were captures, or Israeli stocks on the later order rifles. Now the only thing is... over the years, they were remanufactured, or by importers were mixed and matched. Alot of them were sold to third world countries. So some Israeli imports came straight here in the 80's and 90's. Others were sent to Guatamala and then dug up in the fields and sent here more recently.

On the older converted k98's, the israeli symbols would only be the star of David's on the receiver/barrel. On the FN order rifles, the IDF crest was on the large ring.

Condition varies greatly, however most are mixed parts, and 99% of the ones avail are converted.

Not too long ago I was able to find an original 8mm one, however it is an FN receiver off of a rifle that was converted to 308, that was then pieced back to 8mm in Israel. Either serving on a kibutz or a special army unit.

If your's is not full size k98 sized, it was sporterized, and to me is not worth $300. You can piece one together yourself for that much or less, to restore to original.

Send me a pm with more details, will be able to help you to really determine what it is.

ok soo i have to go back at look at it more carefully then BUT im gonna try to show wat i remember >>>

so the rifle looks exactly like this

M48-63v_e.jpg

and

pix1047544078.jpg

some details >>>>

pix1010429953.jpg

pix1010429718.jpg

the guy says its .308 but never actually fired it. he had it for 8 or so years i think

Ok, Actually that would be a a Spanish FR8 Training rifle in 308 . those are HK g3 sights and were used as trainers.

I saw one at BA and it was in ok condition.

Ah, you had me all excited for a moment. lol. I never pass up an Israeli.

that is not an israeli rifle. that is a a columbian one if I remember correctly, or I believe the Spanish ones were also made by FN.

copy that. so wat do u think >> not worth $300?

not my area of expertise. if it is in really good condition, perhaps. check gunbroker. Offer $250, see what he says. It is a nice piece of history though.

Ok, Actually that would be a a Spanish FR8 Training rifle in 308 . those are HK g3 sights and were used as trainers.

I saw one at BA and it was in ok condition.

Ah, you had me all excited for a moment. lol. I never pass up an Israeli.

8) im gonna try to take some pix. so we can confirm it. gimme couple of days ...

and im gonna try to lower ball him

It is an FR8. Good one Maks...

The FR8 are unique... like a Battle Rifle but bolt action. The were an interim fix for the Spaniard as they awaited delivery or training on the CETME rifles.

They are great little shooters, but worth about $250 to $300 dependent upon condition. Nothing wrong with them, just no collectors value. That being said... please let me know if you dont want it, I would like to try to acquire one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FR8

Let me know if it does not look like this... it might be a Spanich Civil Guardia in .308. If it is, and I am not joking now, they can be unsafe to shoot hipower .308 in them, the steel is reportedly soft in some Spanish Mausers. 0

Here is an example. http://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles-m1916.html

Buyer beware.

As a general rule of thumb, treat all spanish mausers as unsafe to shoot normal high power loads out of. The spanish had issues heat treating the bolts and receivers and there are SEVERAL reports of bad ju-ju when it comes to spanish mausers. This includes the 8mm mausers and such.

This is a M48 Yugo Mauser, 8mm

Average price is $150-$240

THANK U

ok soo i have to go back at look at it more carefully then BUT im gonna try to show wat i remember >>>

so the rifle looks exactly like this

M48-63v_e.jpg

and

pix1047544078.jpg

some details >>>>

pix1010429953.jpg

pix1010429718.jpg

the guy says its .308 but never actually fired it. he had it for 8 or so years i think

This is a M48 Yugo Mauser, 8mm

Average price is $150-$240

Petros, read the post completely. OP mentioned it looked like that, however had G3 sights, FN made receiver and most of all 308. =)

However yes, the model of the gun in the picture is a yugo m48.

It is an FR8. Good one Maks...

The FR8 are unique... like a Battle Rifle but bolt action. The were an interim fix for the Spaniard as they awaited delivery or training on the CETME rifles.

They are great little shooters, but worth about $250 to $300 dependent upon condition. Nothing wrong with them, just no collectors value. That being said... please let me know if you dont want it, I would like to try to acquire one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FR8

Let me know if it does not look like this... it might be a Spanich Civil Guardia in .308. If it is, and I am not joking now, they can be unsafe to shoot hipower .308 in them, the steel is reportedly soft in some Spanish Mausers. 0

Here is an example. http://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles-m1916.html

Buyer beware.

Copy that. BUT it does not look like FR8. wud Spanish mausers have some kind of markings on them? (to id them)

aite so after doing some research on the internet i came up with couple of images>>>>

again from wat i remember it has these markings

mau_0563-08.jpg

but notin on top like this

mau_0538-13.jpg

the front sight looks like this

mau_0563-20.jpg

and

mau_0563-15.jpg

and has a butt plate like this one but not in gold

mau_0588-17.jpg

are u confused yet 8)

After deciphering the description some more... what I think you are looking at, pictures would really help and any seller would let you take a picture or four... is a rebarrelled Columbian Mauser built by FN in the 1950's.

Reason why... The left side of the receiver is marked "FAB NAT D'ARMES de GUERRE HERSTAL-BELGIQUE". I know about the the Mausers FN sold to the Colombians in the 1950s, and was under the impression they were all in .30-06, so I'm a bit confused as to what this one is, making me think it is a rebarrel.

Does the the bolt, receiver, and barrel have Belgian proof marks, and are there any marks on the barrel that read "Mark X"? Is it marked 7.62x51mm right next to the Belgian proof mark on the underside of the barrel directly behind the front sight. Is there a ".30" anywhere on the rear of the receiver, this would signify .30 x 60 cal, it's original caliber.

But wihout seeing the gun my thoughts are worthless. It sounds to me like it is a franken mauser... buy it and shoot it. Offer $250 and enjoy the gun.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy anything that has to do with mitchells. They have been investigated for fraud. They take typical russian capture guns and re-stamp serial numbers and label them as new, or unissued ect. As for the yugo's they rework them too and sell them as new guns. They may look purdy but are surely humped fakes. They have no collector or historical value what so ever.

If you are looking for a good lookin/shootin mauser go to Sarco. Last week I got a really awesome yugo capture German k98 for $200. All of the waffenampts(dirty birds) are intact minus the German markings on the receiver ring. Or they had some really nice yugo 24/47's. Just be sure to check barrel condition of the gun. It is quite typical that when the Yugoslavian's re-worked these guns, they actually re-barreled unlike the Russian captures. Remember when hunting for surplus, it is more often that you are finding a diamond in the rough. These guns haven't been cleaned for 60+ years so there is 60+ years on dirt and cosmo on them. Just a little TLC and they can be awesome rifles for the money.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy anything that has to do with mitchells. They have been investigated for fraud. They take typical russian capture guns and re-stamp serial numbers and label them as new, or unissued ect. As for the yugo's they rework them too and sell them as new guns. They may look purdy but are surely humped fakes. They have no collector or historical value what so ever.

usnmars >>> thank u very much for the intel. i told the guy the he was misinformed and bought a bogus rifle >>> he didnt like it 8) then i told him i will give him $70-$80 for it >>> he didnt like it either 8) so im still lookin for a good mauser 8) or two....