Radek

BA 6/30 w/ Wife and daughter

I am heading to BA today evening with my arsenal! Expect to be there by 7-7:30pm.

Couldn't make it yesterday.

My wife and daughter will also come to shoot. In addition to my guns, I would like them to try out 380 auto pistols; Bersa, SIG, Taurus, Browning BDA, CZ83 ... I bought lots of ammo!

You are welcome to shoot my guns.

Also, if you have a 92FS/M9 or Taurus 99/92, please bring, I would like to try.

I am heading to BA today evening with my arsenal! Expect to be there by 7-7:30pm.

Couldn't make it yesterday.

My wife and daughter will also come to shoot. In addition to my guns, I would like them to try out 380 auto pistols; Bersa, SIG, Taurus, Browning BDA, CZ83 ... I bought lots of ammo!

You are welcome to shoot my guns.

Also, if you have a 92FS/M9 or Taurus 99/92, please bring, I would like to try.

Radek,

Shore Shot has a 92FS on their rental board. For $10 you can try all the guns they have for rent in a single caliber.

lunker, I know, but I am no longer a member at SS. A while ago they stopped allowing high-power rifles, so I got membership for me + 1 family member at BA.

I will call BA to see if they have similar policy.

Went to BA to try out some new guns ...

BA doesn't have 380 auto to rent! :doh: All they had were Glocks! :shock: No novelty there. IMO: Glocks are super reliable, but if you try one, rest are essentially the same! Kinda boring.

And they charge per rental, not per caliber as SS does. That sucks.

Ended up trying a SIG in .40 S&W, just for kicks. I had about 3-4 fliers out of a 12 round mag, rest went around the center. It didn't shoot where it was pointed. The gun wasn't clean or lubed for sure. The rental scene at BA is disappointing.

Who is a member at SS that can take me in as a guest? I would like to rent various 380 autos (my next purchase). Of course, you being a member will rent and I will pay.

Anyway, had a blast with my shotty's. Tried out the pistol grip Mossberg 500. I was surprised, not too difficult to control without a standard stock. It was a blast!! Also, shot the Remington 1100. I love the smooth cycling shotty!! :dance:

Ended up trying a SIG in .40 S&W, just for kicks. I had about 3-4 fliers out of a 12 round mag, rest went around the center. It didn't shoot where it was pointed. The gun wasn't clean or lubed for sure. The rental scene at BA is disappointing.

Its not the gun.

ok ok, not to sound rude, but it is not the gun. in 99% of the cases, it is the shooter and what is in their head.

For instance... I was shooting the Hk, and groups on the first mag were moderate sized, I thought it may be the load. I let two other people shoot it, they made one small hole dead center...

when I got the gun back, and shot my 3rd mag... paying attention to the shooting basics, grip, stance... the rounds were keyholing.

at such short distances, it is hardly ever the gun that makes the difference. Sig's in particular, they are finely tuned machines, you are not shooting a saturday night special, or a hi-point.

And I would add that some of your posts are self serving. Just because you are the creator (or Co-) of this forum doesn't make you an expert or authority on guns. :shock: Stick to what you know (for sure). Also, don't "pontificate" on subjects/experience you don't have yourself. Like your response to self-defense in another post of mine. Googling doesn't make one an expert.

You are just a baby (young adult), with little experience, but you seem to have a lot of opinions! That's fine, but some of your opinions are just that - opinions without merit or proven experience. Again, Googling doesn't make one an expert in anything. :arrow: And my favorite quote, "Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one!"

I liked you as a person when we met once, but I am not so sure now.

I trust tbtrout and people on this forum with experience. He speaks no-nonsense and with facts that are substantiated.

I wanted to say this to you ... but no one has objected, so I have to say it.

Don't reply with your typical know it all ways.

I have to go with mak on this one. Guns do function differently for different people. It all comes down to how your grip is, your trigger pull ect. My 1942 Colt 1911 HATES me. No matter what I do, it just doesn't shoot right. Anybody else who shoots the gun loves it, and I haven't had an issue with it what so ever when someone else is pulling the trigger. As soon as it try it it says F-U.

As to mak, he seems to be an incredible wealth of firearms information. He always seems to be spot on when giving information to others, and seems to be honest when he doesn't know something. If you look, there are several posts with mak asking for help. It just comes down to life, nobody is an expert in everything, just some things. And there is always someone out there that knows more than you do. And to everyone, share the knowledge you have and pass it on.

During 2004 in the United States, pilot error was listed as the primary cause of 78.6% of fatal general aviation accidents, and as the primary cause of 75.5% of general aviation accidents overall.[1] For scheduled air transport, pilot error typically accounts for just over half of worldwide accidents with a known cause.[2]

Pilot error - 50% or more of all accidents... Nobody has more training than pilots, and yet...

Hand the gun to someone else - if they shoot it fine, then it's operator error, pure and simple. If not, then it's the gun.

Or just do what others do:

"It's the grip angle"

"The sights are too small"

"My eyes are getting old"

"The lighting in here sucks"

"This (insert brand) ammo sucks"

"This gun shoots low and left/high and right/crappy groups, etc"

"The trigger is utter carp"

"I'm really a (rifle/shotgun/bow/crossbow) guy"

or my ultimate favorite:

"All (insert Manufacturer)'s suck"

thanks, guys.

but seriously, I know there is alot of stuff I do not know. IE... shotguns, muzzleloaders, shooting clays. lol.

Here is what I do know.... the gun in question, or two, BA has a SP2022 for rent, a polymer pistol. What I have seen with my own eyes, is Dan, a forum member here, put 10 rounds in one small circle at 10 yards in front of my eyes. followed by a bad smiley face in the target. It is not the gun. It is all excuses.

For instance... at central jersey two weeks ago, i shot at my first CMP garand match. I came in 2nd from last. :lol: I shot a Swedish Mauser, iron sights and all at 200 yards. Do I blame the gun? nope. I blame my lack of experience and the fact that I chose not the most ideal weapon for the match parameters, however at the end, it all came down to my lack of experience shooting open iron sights at 200 yards, without a webbed sling from prone, sitting and standing positions. I blame the lack of practice before the match. I was out of my comfort zone. Having said that.....

I do know that the Swedish Mauser in proper hands is one of the most accurate bolt actions military rifles. As much as I like to crack on glocks, they are very good accurate firearms that I would trust my life to. However, I cannot shoot it accurately very accuratly after 100 rounds as my hand starts hurting between index finger and thumb. when my accuracy goes down after that, it is not the gun that suddenly started sucking, it is what is in my head.

same thing with the firearm that you shot. Your issue is your lack of experience with that firearm.

Btw, your comment on the self defense post... lol. I am a brown belt in shindo ryu kickboxing, and have decent grapling experience. With that in mind... I commuted to the city for 5 years, and lived for a year downtown before september 11th. I have had many friends mugged... I know the common traits, and most LEO will tell you the same.

All I can say is that I have a few sigs chambered in .40 and 9mm. I know for a fact that they run pretty smooth, even dirty and kinda dry. You will notice the drag on the slide when they're dry.

I have days when I am on and days I'm not. The days I'm not, I tend to shoot more and work on my issues. If you just picked up a sig and shot 12 rounds and that's it. I have to say I would think user error is involved. If you shot a sig all the time, that would be a different story. Also, if that was a rental gun, the sites might be off.

Just sayin!

Rental guns usage far exceed what any individual might do to his or her personal firearm. I don't know that I will ever put enough rounds down any of my guns to shoot them loose or wear out the barrel. Add that to a dry gun that loves running wet, and you will have some issues. I know my HK P7M8 starts getting finicky after a few hundred rounds. The slide movement is rough and it frequently doesn't lock back if it's too dirty.

While I would normally point to the user, when it comes to rental guns I will reserve judgment.

First off, my apologies to maksim in the way I replied to his post earlier. In hind-sight it came out badly and resulted in a personally insulting post. My intent was to say, "there is nothing obvious" about the comment that was made.

I am not an expert in pistol shooting, but I know from personal experience that a very dirty pistol will produce random fliers. I am sure some guns are more tolerant of dirt than others.

I have 2 examples that say it's the gun when it's not clean enough.

- My wife's Glock 19. She practice shoots that gun 90% of the time, typically 15' away target. She has put over 500 rounds through it, so by now she is familiar with the gun. I normally clean it after couple of range trips. This seems adequate for proper function. One time I got lazy after 4 trips and didn't clean the gun for the next trip to the range. My wife shot it and out of 10 round mags, she had 2-4 rounds completely off paper! This happened consistently for the 4 mags she shot that day and was frustrated with her performance. She wondered what happened that day! I use the same Remington practice ammo from Dicks.

- My Taurus in .40. Similar unclean gun situation. Had lot more fliers than the glock, also failures to feed, etc. When the gun is clean, it shoots quite decent groups without any jamming issues.

Based on this experience, the Glock appears more tolerant of crud than the Taurus, but then the Glock is 3 years old and my first handgun the Taurus is from 1998. I hear Taurus quality has improved significantly since ...

Some of you will agree with above assessment, albeit with only 2 examples, but some will insist it's the shooter. Fine, you have your opinions.

I had a chance to shoot the Sig in question, not long after your post. I can say without a doubt, it shot where it was pointed.

I think you may have had a bad day or maybe it was the ammo.

ok ok, not to sound rude, but it is not the gun. in 99% of the cases, it is the shooter and what is in their head.

For instance... I was shooting the Hk, and groups on the first mag were moderate sized, I thought it may be the load. I let two other people shoot it, they made one small hole dead center...

when I got the gun back, and shot my 3rd mag... paying attention to the shooting basics, grip, stance... the rounds were keyholing.

at such short distances, it is hardly ever the gun that makes the difference. Sig's in particular, they are finely tuned machines, you are not shooting a saturday night special, or a hi-point.

I disagree with this.

In my case it is 100% the shooter ;)

in 99% of the cases, it is the shooter and what is in their head.

In my case, I agree with Mak. I tend to shoot better when I don't "over think" each and every shot. Every time I try to be conscious of what not to do when pulling the trigger, I end up doing something wrong.

I guess it's like golf... you don't over think your swing. Even Tiger Woods, one of the greatest golf players. He's not playing too well right now probably because of what's in his head :mrgreen:

For me with pistols, a little thinking is OK. It allows me to counteract my natural tendency to use not enough finger on the trigger and pull my shots to the right (I am a lefty).

When it comes to shotguns, I do much better when I just "use the force". If I just instinctively swing and shoot I do better than when I put my nose to the stock and line up the two beads on the rib.