Sign in to follow this  
Tash329

Ammo Purchases

My Son In Law when to Dick's in Vineland NJ today and purchased a brick of 22 ammo. He said that now its a state law to have to show your NJ firearm ID as well as your drivers license to make the purchase. He was told this my the employee there. If its true, wouldn't this be illegal under the new rulling by the Supreme Court. If I remember right, another court that (can't remember which one) said, included the in the 2nd. was the right to own ammo., its analagy was that a car isn't a car without its wheels. Anyone know if there is now such a law about 2 ID's required for ammo? Or is this Dick's employee just miss imformed?

If the ammunition is commonly used in a handgun, then an FPID is required for purchase. Passed last year, I believe. I have heard that, especially the box stores, have required the FPID for the purchase of any ammo - although I haven't personally encountered this.

McDonald is not a cure-all. It is the first tiny step in helping us regain rights that were enumaerated in the constitution. Restrictions (such as requiring the FPID for handgun ammo purchase) can still be required without violating the law.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

.. If its true, wouldn't this be illegal under the new rulling by the Supreme Court...
No, no, a thousand times no. The supreme court ruling did not invalidate every single gun law in the US. There was absolutely no practical impact of Heller or McDonald on NJ.

.. If its true, wouldn't this be illegal under the new rulling by the Supreme Court...
No, no, a thousand times no. The supreme court ruling did not invalidate every single gun law in the US. There was absolutely no practical impact of Heller or McDonald on NJ.

I'm not so sure about that. In NJ posession of all firearms are illegal. Legality is by exception. SC said firearm posession is a right. So NJ law says a right is illegal except by exception. Law will have to change. What that means in the long run is yet to be seen.

I'm not so sure about that. In NJ posession of all firearms are illegal. Legality is by exception. SC said firearm posession is a right. So NJ law says a right is illegal except by exception. Law will have to change. What that means in the long run is yet to be seen.

Likely the wording will change from the exception based luncheon meat it is now, but the results will almost certainly stay the same (or get worse). It's just rearranging the deck chairs.

Thanks maksim---last time I purchased ammo I only had to show Drivers License. Most of my purchases are at local NJ gun shops and in Deleware state (45 minute drive). I like Deleware, no tax, NIC checks are usual $3 to $5, plus I usually get a 10% military discount. Living in Cumberland County near Port Norris the ride up Rt.# 49 is nice. Miles of nothing.

PeterF----I was aware the right to own in NJ is by exception and not a right before SC ruling, I should have pointed this out before or in my question. Thank you for bringing that to light. Now the question makes sence of my point.

Back in the late 60's and early 70's I remember going to department stores to buy ammo, they always had a book, that they recorded your DL number when purchasing any ammo. Sometime in the 90's they stopped using the book system, Now its on again....I didn't mind then, so, I don't mind now...Just goes in cycles....