Sign in to follow this  
JimmyAGR

How many powders, primers do you own?

Hi Again,

I ordered my reloading setup last week. I am getting a Dillon 550, 5.56 dies, .308 dies, and all other goodies. I have read the Lyman reloading book and some powders cross match between these rounds. My question is how many different powders do you use for each caliber? Do you switch between weights of bullets, or in between loads to test? How big of a difference does primers make in the reloading soup? I am reading everything I can, just trying to work out some variables. I want to load match quality ammo. I haven't bought any powder or primers yet. Any one have any good recipes they came up with for 5.56 Sierra 77 gr. and .308 175 gr.? Also I heard about some rifle powders having problems metering out of the Dillon, anyone have any bad experience with this?

Thanks again, sorry for the long post.

I use a few powders. For 9mm and 45, I use Winchester 231, after recommended by tbtrout.

For rifle, I reload 308, 223, and am ready to reload for 7.5 swiss, 7.62x54r and have dies on order for 6.5 swede and 8mm mauser. 30/40 krag is soon. :mrgreen:

I have experimented with IMR 4895 (as per recommendation of tbtrout), Reloader 15, and IMR XBR 8208.

So far the best results were from 4895, and I understand why it is a classic standby powder. I have had good results with Reloader 15 and looking to use it more in 308 match loads. Military sniper ammo just switched to Reloader 15 if I am not mistaken.

I have tried XBR 8208. Kicks a bit more in 308 over the others, some folks swear by it, but I have not had amazing results with it. Seemed pretty good in 223.

IMR 4895 is good in 223 and 308 though.

Hope that helps.

Primers... should not make a huge difference.

My 308 load is 168 gr sierra match king with 40.4 grains of IMR 4895.

Maksim, thank you this is just the type of info I am looking for. I don't mind buying separate powders, but was hoping to maximize the bulk buy (8 lbs.) Also glad that primers do not make that much of a difference. Trying to limit the mistakes I can make out of the chute. So much to learn. Waiting for my calipers so I can start trimming brass.

you typically do not need to trim brass after the first reload. on my bolt guns, on the 4th reload I had to trim some cases.

I would say try a few powders, 1lb jugs first to really play with, to see what you like and what your guns like.

Maksim,

I bought a bunch of new brass to start and the book says to trim it to uniform length. Is this step not needed? I will take your advise about the 1lb containers until I can find what I like best.

Thanks again.

Take your calipers and check - I think you will find that the brass is likely at a uniform length already which would negate that step. If you don't have calipers, make your way to Harbor Freight and buy a set. They're not expensive, but test them to make sure the tool reads uniformly. Each time you measure something, the reading should be exactly the same. I had a caliper from HF that would get me in the ballpark but wouldn't read accurate, so I exchanged it and the next one was spot on.

If you're really really concerned about the accuracy of your readings, get yourself a Mitutoyo or Starret or Browne & Sharpe...

Maksim,

I bought a bunch of new brass to start and the book says to trim it to uniform length. Is this step not needed? I will take your advise about the 1lb containers until I can find what I like best.

Thanks again.

Check the length and make sure it is all where you need it to be. New brass will have deviations. I Size new brass. Most of it is no problem, but I have had new brass that would not chamber, so I started sizing it all. The more attention to detail you pay the better off your loads will shoot. Especially rifle rounds. Make sure your barrel twist rate matches your bullet weight in the 5.56.

The biggest difference is Ball vs stick powder. Ball powder will flow easier than stick. I prefer Stick powder and IMR 4895 for both calibers you listed.

A lot of people like RE15 for both. If you have the time to spend experimenting is a great part of reloading.

Thanks Guys,

I have a caliper coming in with the press. So I will check the bras when I pick it up.

tbtrout thanks for the info on powders, I will try both as I will experiment. In no rush and plan on taking it slow. I have 1 in 7 twists on my ARs and bought 77 gr. Sierra BTHP to start.