Radek

Makarov 9x18

aimsurplus for cheap ammo. Dont have one currently, but owned one before and looking to pick up a few.

You can reload for it, 9mm bullet, just different brass.

Recoil a tad harsh out of the box.

if you are picking one up, stick to russian or east german ones. Bulgarian and polish are worse quality.

Ok. I am applying for few PPs now. Will take a month at least.

If you come across a good Makarov, let me know. I will do the same.

My virtual cart:

- 380 Auto, Browning BDA, SIG or Bersa

- 9mm, Taurus 99SS (new), Beretta 92FS/M9 (new/used)

- Makarov

Maybe, a Tokarev ... 7.62x25!

Ok. I am applying for few PPs now. Will take a month at least.

If you come across a good Makarov, let me know. I will do the same.

My virtual cart:

- 380 Auto, Browning BDA, SIG or Bersa

- 9mm, Taurus 99SS (new), Beretta 92FS/M9 (new/used)

- Makarov

Maybe, a Tokarev ... 7.62x25!

I have a new Bersa Thunder 380 & a used Beretta 92FS

I have a new Bersa Thunder 380 & a used Beretta 92FS

I see them both on your web site.

About the Bersa: Is that the Thunder Plus with 15 rounds? And why does the new one look a little scratched up in the blued area? Is that the typical quality to expect? What would a full SS version run for?

Few suggestions on your site. The detail pics are too large, maybe size them smaller or have a zoom/un-zoom control for it. (The 92FS is sized correctly.) Also, add product description or link to manufacturer product page.

Anyway, I will look you up when I have my PPs.

the thunder is 15rds, the beretta is used, shows minor wear

I am referring to the new Bersa. It shows some scratch marks in the blued area. It's new, so I was asking if that's the quality out of the box from Bersa!? :shock:

For a nice pistol that fires 9x18, check out the CZ 82:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=104

All steel, high quality CZ construction make this a great choice if you want to go into 9x18. I shot this pistol one time and the all steel design makes it very controllable and much less snappy then smaller makarov variants. Great prices on it as well. Plus it's a CZ :)

if you are picking one up, stick to russian or east german ones. Bulgarian and polish are worse quality.

Have to disagree with that. I have an '84 Bulgarian, early import as well (no electric pencil markings on slide, all on frame and inconspicuous) and it is a great pistol. I'm sure there are some poor examples out there but I have seen many nice Bulgarians.

As for recoil, many say it is rough but I actually find the Makarov to be very tame. Maybe because I usually shoot .45/357. But I find 9x18 very mild and easy to control.

For $200, you can't go wrong with a Makarov.

For a nice pistol that fires 9x18, check out the CZ 82:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=104

All steel, high quality CZ construction make this a great choice if you want to go into 9x18. I shot this pistol one time and the all steel design makes it very controllable and much less snappy then smaller makarov variants. Great prices on it as well. Plus it's a CZ :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I am buying one.

aimsurplus for cheap ammo. Dont have one currently, but owned one before and looking to pick up a few.

You can reload for it, 9mm bullet, just different brass.

Recoil a tad harsh out of the box.

Different bullet diameters, actually. Kinda like 7.62x54r vs 7.62x51 (.311 vs .308)

I'de also suggest a tokarev. Ammo is still cheap cheap cheap!

Guns004.jpg

Guns006.jpg

Ammo is about 8.5c per round, or 85 bucks per thousand :mrgreen:

As for recoil, many say it is rough but I actually find the Makarov to be very tame. Maybe because I usually shoot .45/357. But I find 9x18 very mild and easy to control.

How would you say the recoil compares to 9x19?

How would you say the recoil compares to 9x19?

I'd say it's about the same. They are both easy calibers to control.

I'm a Makarov fan. I bought mine new about 5 years ago in NJ for $120. Came with 2 mags, an extra set of Hogue-like black rubber grips and the worst shoulder holster/mag carrier the Eastern Block could devise.

It's surprisingly accurate, possibly due to the fixed barrel. The recoil has some snap to it, but not uncomfortable. I'd recommend replacing the military issue red plastic grips with something more rubber-like.

The single action is beautiful, but the double-action is pretty heavy and gritty. Ammo is cheap and plentiful. I notice the hollow-point loads shoot slightly high, but the military and wolf rounds shot to point of aim.

I also have a Walter PPKS in .380, and I must say I find the Mak more comfortable to shoot. I have a Florida CCW, but while I don't really have the need to exercise this right, if/when I do it will be the Makarov I carry in a tuckable IWB holster. (My other handguns are too large for comfortable CCW)

Recommended!