Leth

PSL for NJ from interstate?

A friend of mine is thinking if getting a PSL. I believe the standard thumbhole PSL is NJ legal once the bayonet lug is removed (the muzzle break is OK) . Does this sound correct?

One thought my friend has is to drive to another state (roadtrip!), purchase a PSL over the counter and then dremmel the lug off before driiving back to NJ.

The purpose of this would be to get a reasonably priced PSL without needing to pay the shipping and ffl fees. It also would avoid some of the inconsistencies ffls treat these rifles with ("I'm not processing that!!")

Has anyone else here tried or done this?

Thanks!

AFAIK, the PSL-54C (Compensator) comes NJ legal as it is.

Basically the gist of the law is that you can have 1 evil feature before the rifle is considered an assault rifle. The PSL-54C has no evil features. So you could even keep the bayonet lug as long as the compensator is permanently attached and you keep the thumbhole stock.

Most of the FFL's on this board are very easy to deal with in regards to either getting you a rifle, or transferring one.

Ah! Good advice on the thumbhole and ffls. It seems there are ffls that have no idea about what's legal and what is not. I'll check with some of the ffls on the forum if we go down the path of ordering one.

I know several people here have PSLs. Does anyone have any in or out of state retail recommendations?

Thanks!

Ah! Good advice on the thumbhole and ffls. It seems there are ffls that have no idea about what's legal and what is not. I'll check with some of the ffls on the forum if we go down the path of ordering one.

I know several people here have PSLs. Does anyone have any in or out of state retail recommendations?

Thanks!

Tony at TJ Sporting Arms. Forum sponsor, good prices, easy to deal with, and overall nice guy!

[/shameless plug for Tony of TJ Sporting Arms]

Grind the lug off to be safe. That "thumbhole" stock may very well be considered a pistol grip in NJ. Always assume worst case scenario when the penalty is loss of your freedom and rights.

What part of "(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapn;" is unclear?

Grind the lug off to be safe. That "thumbhole" stock may very well be considered a pistol grip in NJ. Always assume worst case scenario when the penalty is loss of your freedom and rights.

What part of "(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapn;" is unclear?

I spoke with a reputable FFL on the boards here at length on the matter. According to him, the NJSP have pistol grips, thumbholes, and skeleton stocks which they consider pistol grips.

Some states, such as CA, have clarified this by stating that if the web of the hand is higher than the trigger finger in firing position, it is not a pistol grip.

Others, like NJ, have not clarified this and are essentially waiting for a test case. These laws don't make sense, please don't try to make sense of them. Do what you will, but I would recommend caution, considering what is at stake.

http://www.exilemachine.com/ca_laws.html

The PSL stock looks safe, but I would be careful with it anyway if you keep the accessory lug on the gun.

One thought my friend has is to drive to another state (roadtrip!), purchase a PSL over the counter and then dremmel the lug off before driiving back to NJ.

No dealer would sell you a PSL with a bayo lug they need to follow NJ laws if by chance they do grind it off

The thumbhole stock was accepted as being AWB compliant during the national AWB, which was based on our very own NJ AWB. A thumbhole stock is not considered a pistol grip in NJ. That was the whole purpose of it, to get around the pistol grip thing. As the PSL has a detachable mag, you are allowed 1 other evil feature, and a PG isnt one of them.

The thumbhole stock was accepted as being AWB compliant during the national AWB, which was based on our very own NJ AWB. A thumbhole stock is not considered a pistol grip in NJ. That was the whole purpose of it, to get around the pistol grip thing. As the PSL has a detachable mag, you are allowed 1 other evil feature, and a PG isnt one of them.

The question is not whether it's a thumbhole stock or pistol grip. The question is whether it is a thumbhole stock or skeleton stock. Regardless of how the law was based, the 94 AWB was ATF enforced, this one is NJSP enforced.

Without an opinion from NJSP (the only people whose opinions on this matter) all the banter in the world is worthless.

The question is not whether it's a thumbhole stock or pistol grip. The question is whether it is a thumbhole stock or skeleton stock. Regardless of how the law was based, the 94 AWB was ATF enforced, this one is NJSP enforced.

Where is the case law?

There is none. All depends who has enough balls to be the guinea pig. I know I certainly don't!

The question is not whether it's a thumbhole stock or pistol grip. The question is whether it is a thumbhole stock or skeleton stock.

Its clearly a thumbhole stock as it incorporates the pistol grip section. The stock and grip are all one solid connected piece. If it had the same exact butt stock and a separate pistol grip, then its a skeleton stock. Of course, some DA or prosecutor trying to make his or her name with some scary gun case could still clearly put you in a world of shit....but then again....in NJ anything is possible.

I bought mine at Dunkelbergers in pa. Bayo lug was ground and muzzle brake was welded. All of them that I have seen have been ground and welded. I think I read somewhere that the grinding and welding were done to all of them so they could be imported as sporters and not have to deal with 922 compliance.