imperialfish

Discovery Channel New Show "The Colony"

The only gripe I have about these confrontations... what can you do to them, and what are they really going to do to you? Everybody grabs all these weapons and stuff... but its not like you are actually going to stab someone or something while in a reality tv show.

How much of reality TV isn't actually scripted? Either way, this looks like a far more solid background then the first season. I think the concentration on the fact that this isn't just a generic catastrophe in a generic major population center will greatly enhance every aspect of the show. As for dealing with MZB's, I think it'll still be pretty effective. It is never the fear of conflict, but the surprise of conflict that dictates reaction (people aren't shocked about the pain felt when being punched in the face; instead they're shocked when someone decides to take a swing). This second season should be A LOT better than the first.

that would be sweet... at least give the marauders paintball guns or something.... blast em! :lol:

When the marauders win, everyone's "dead", and the season comes to an instant and inglorious end. I like that.

based on that URL I'm very loathe to click it - They have "FREE TV" things all the time but a lot are spam/virus/malware.

could be, but im watching the video's and it's working just fine. i'll just run a few virus scans and malware afterwards..

Maybe a WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK (MAY CONTAIN SPAM/VIRUSES/MALWARE.

based on that URL I'm very loathe to click it - They have "FREE TV" things all the time but a lot are spam/virus/malware.

could be, but im watching the video's and it's working just fine. i'll just run a few virus scans and malware afterwards..

Maybe a WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK (MAY CONTAIN SPAM/VIRUSES/MALWARE.

I did a quick google search, I didn't see anybody claiming that site distributed spam or malware. Still, watch at your own risk is probably appropriate.

that sucks only lets you watch 72 minutes of video, then you have to wait an hour before you can watch anymore.. :lol:

ON MEGAVIDEO you need to goto zshare or wisevid to see the others.

Decent first episode. Lays down the usual groundwork to get the show going.

Slight Spoiler:

wow......goddamn melee

And that's basically the big problem I have with the show... why put them in those situations when they can't really defend themselves? If that was a real situation we all know at least some of the people (on both sides) would've probably ended up seriously injured or dead. But instead they have to basically sit there and maybe shove each other while the supplies get stolen. I know they can't realistically fight each other.. but it makes the "marauder" segments seem pointless to me aside from adding stress to an already stressful situation. :confusion-shrug: On the flip side, they've definitely gotten more physical this year.. I was surprised the carpenter dude tackled that first marauder.

Just watched the night cap. Man, it really shows how people will always revert back to their "training." Training in this context isn't just about what can be learned from a course necessarily-- but life itself. Unless there are some secrets yet to be untold, the composition of the group seems way too heavy in certain specializations... which goes back to how people always revert back to what they've been "trained" to do in situations.

Water and fire was done pretty well. As for shelter, I couldn't really say since we didn't really see the other facilities in depth (though they could probably tear down the white tent [see] and utilize those materials). Food seemed to not be rationed that well, but, again, judgment is reserved until we see them reach that brink. And security, omg... fail.

They failed to S&S (surveillance and secure) the perimeter as a whole (and document the layout/structures/landmarks-- even if it were a rough sand table). They failed to secure the entry into the camp (could have closed off the chained gate, which would at least be somewhat of a deterrent). Failed to secure their main housing facility (used the one-board method to barricade the front door which would have at least acted as a deterrent). Didn't utilize their numbers in confrontations (got dispersed and picked off). And didn't utilize the buddy system well (why would they need to send four or five people to get salvage a battery and some rotting bacon?). They haven't even recon'ed the other facilities (though, that's from the perspective of the audience, as they might have). Good thing its episode no. 1, and they have a whole season to salvage that a--hattery.

I wonder how far the studio will allow physical confrontations to go. Simunitions would be cool, but that would mean everybody would have to wear eye and ear pro everywhere, and that would look silly :lol:

ETA: They didn't dig their morning trenches either. I'm sure this will be addressed pretty quickly though when they find out how crappy it can get ;)

It amazes me how open they are with their supplies. There is always one retard that wants to share stuff. I think they should have picked a smaller building that is easier to defend. Security totally went over their heads, again.... food and supplies in the open, on shelves, ripe for the taking. Looks like they got beat up pretty good :lol:

Unless there are some secrets yet to be untold, the composition of the group seems way too heavy in certain specializations...

Last season they introduced 3 new "colonists" a couple episodes in for a total of 10 people. Since they started with 7, I'm thinking they'll do something similar this season.

Lol... the one guy that took a nap mid day. I think they are editing the show to make him seem like a total waste right now, but I bet in like 4-5 episodes he'll come up with some cool shit that makes everyone's lives better. Oh, I also love how quarantine flew right out the window HAHA! Quarantine? Screw that! Live together die together!

It amazes me how open they are with their supplies. There is always one retard that wants to share stuff. I think they should have picked a smaller building that is easier to defend. Security totally went over their heads, again.... food and supplies in the open, on shelves, ripe for the taking. Looks like they got beat up pretty good :lol:

I was thinking the same thing (probably from our zombie threads) get a large building with few entrances (like a wharehouse) and barricase and defend it. Its amazing how episodes of SurvivorMan pop into my head.

Oh, I also love how quarantine flew right out the window HAHA! Quarantine? Screw that! Live together die together!

that was more because EVERYONE had contact with the outsiders......so who were they going to quarantine themselves from?

i like the show so far, but i like anything post-apocalyptic. another thing to point out: after they killed a totally harmless snake.....why didnt they eat it? they had fire, water, and a cooking site within minutes of setting camp. in a survival situation, you have to eat whatever you can find, anytime you can find it. the previews show them possibly wrestling an alligator.....whether thats eaten or not, who knows. anyone else notice the disclaimer at the beginning of the show stating no animals were harmed?