intercooler

sometimes honesty is NOT the best policy re: question 26

I sorry, but who are you kidding. Bottom line - you blew it by incorrectly answering the question. It was very clear that your answer was NO. You set yourself up for the death trap. You will most likely never own a gun in NJ. Sorry to say.

Not true. My co-worker had a domestic issue years ago and it came up. He cleared the issue (took almost a year) and is happily shootin his bugles.

Doesn't patient-doctor disclosure mean anything here?

I sorry, but who are you kidding. Bottom line - you blew it by incorrectly answering the question. It was very clear that your answer was NO. You set yourself up for the death trap. You will most likely never own a gun in NJ. Sorry to say.

Not true. My co-worker had a domestic issue years ago and it came up. He cleared the issue (took almost a year) and is happily shootin his bugles.

Doesn't patient-doctor disclosure mean anything here?

It doesn't if you sign the mental health disclosure form.

I have 3 choices.

1 withdraw the application

2 denial

3 go get an evaluation done.

Well I would say #2. My brother got denied and won on appeal. If you go with #1 and change your answer you will be back where you are now in 6 months. #3 is the worst option and you should absolutely NOT do that. Like you said, the cards are stacked against you and if that "Doctors" evaluation comes back with anything negative it will be used against you like it was a murder conviction. A denial and appeal is really your only option here. If you appeal this, I would say you have a 90% chance of winning.

We have to look at the definitions of each word.

A google search for "Mental disorder" turned up numerous definitions like this:

Definitions of mental disorder on the Web: is a mental or nervous condition diagnosed by a practitioner according to the criteria in the DSM-IV and limited to severe impairment of a member's mental, emotional or behavioral functioning on a daily basis.

I have a co-worker friend of mine who lost her 20 year old son last year. You could only imagine the grief, and horrible feelings she went through. Was she suffering from a "Mental disorder?" I should think that she went through, and felt everything that anyone person would feel given the circumstances. Was she able to take care of her daily affairs during this time, or did she lie in her bed crying for a week? If so, does that mean that if she went to submit her P2P, should she check that yes, she experienced a Mental Disorder IF she went to grief counseling for a couple of weeks (I have no idea what she did, just an example).

So yes, people need to look closely at theses definitions before answering.

Good luck with your application.

I appreciate this, but honestly, the way i see it is that the system is geared, stacked and only fair to those people that :

A. Have the $ to fight with

B. Have the credibility (which when asked who a judge beleives more, it would be the guy in the higher social standing,and that would not be me)

C. Are willing to risk everything they have finacially on a "hope" that the anti gun biased system will suddenly see reality.

I will do the best I can, but the reality that I cannot match resouces with someone who is likley bringing in 10 times what I make makes it a study in futility. It sucks to admit that, but it is the reality of it and I am a very realistic person.

Worse comes to worse, I will withdraw it...but I know it is the same as a denial anyway I look at it as I am 100% sure they will NOT forget it. :cry:

dont beat yourself up dude...withdrawing the application is not the same as a denial! ..getting denied will make it harder next time, if you try.

tell them you changed your mind and wish to withdraw the app...wait for 6 mnths/year then try again....

I believe that question is not about if you have received counceling or saw a shrink, as just about everyone out there has, but rather if you have been put in a hospital or under the care/observation of a doctor for a mental problem. If you just went to a shrink for normal stuff, I think you would answer "no" to #26.

I appreciate this, but honestly, the way i see it is that the system is geared, stacked and only fair to those people that :

A. Have the $ to fight with

B. Have the credibility (which when asked who a judge beleives more, it would be the guy in the higher social standing,and that would not be me)

C. Are willing to risk everything they have finacially on a "hope" that the anti gun biased system will suddenly see reality.

I will do the best I can, but the reality that I cannot match resouces with someone who is likley bringing in 10 times what I make makes it a study in futility. It sucks to admit that, but it is the reality of it and I am a very realistic person.

Worse comes to worse, I will withdraw it...but I know it is the same as a denial anyway I look at it as I am 100% sure they will NOT forget it. :cry:

dont beat yourself up dude...withdrawing the application is not the same as a denial! ..getting denied will make it harder next time, if you try.

tell them you changed your mind and wish to withdraw the app...wait for 6 mnths/year then try again....

that is exactly the fallback I had intebnded

I would start with a complaint to whatever ethics committee your conselor belongs to. His lie will cost him quite a bit and is considered a serious offense. He will have to write the police a retraction (which a help you enough) as for penalties the commtittee may say he has to pay for your added expenses.

just to follow up with this, I went and had an evaluation done at the place that does it for most police agencies. The results are in and I was issued my FID today along with 1 pistol permit (looking glock 19 or 1911).

Basically what advice I can give is to talk to the police cheif and look to address any issues BEFORE you apply. I was lucky that the Cheif in my town is 100% a cool guy and wanted to make sure that I was given a fair chance. Going to see a dr does NOT disqualify you immediatley, but you can fully expect to pay for a comprehensive forensic evaluation to be done, expect to have a hard time finging a dr who will do it specifically in realtion to an FID request. I suggest Institute for forensic psychology in oakland as they are willing and completely fine with this . Make sure that whoever you see, that they know up front why you are going because the Cheif is gonna want specific things addressed in the evaluation results. I went this route mainly due to the fact that a denial; would represent a large $ cost and would require a evaluation regardless. By asking if that was sufficent, i was able to avoid a denial and got the best result. IFP was not cheap ($1000) but it was certainly a better choice than haveing an appeal

overall it was a learning experience and while it was very stressfull, it worked out for me. i am not interested in pusuit of litigation with the other dr, while he certainly tried to screw me, he was totally discredited. the problem with any gun rights issue is the politics of it, and people here in nj are generally socialized to feel that "guns are bad mmmkay".

thanks! I am getting together my stuff for CMP to order a garand, i was planning to go to cherry ridge in the next new member sunday.

Remember it has to go to an FFL now thanks to our WONDERFUL Christie-Appointed Attorney general.

thanks! I am getting together my stuff for CMP to order a garand, i was planning to go to cherry ridge in the next new member sunday.

The evidence is not altogether clear and definitive, but a few of us that signed up online through their website got the credentials far quicker than those that did not.