Radek

$35 Tablet PC, cool!

Check this out.

The tablet PC was designed and developed using off-the-shelf components by students from my alma mater, the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)! :dance: You will not believe the tuition + room and board I paid while studying there!

:clap:

This time, I have a feeling that private industry in India will take this prototype to the next level and produce a tablet that's affordable to the poor Indian masses!!

Time of India

ITN news:

ddl69lW-_qM&feature=related

Intro by HR minister:

vGEDizaWX0k&NR=1

i believe they all can make them at affordable prices, this may very much help out the market abroad..

yup, cheap to make and expensive to buy. Just the way they want.

The will never make it work. Total vaporware.

That's so much hot air. The prototype was demonstrated live and people have actually tried it out! This is NOT a simulation on a computer, it's a tablet computer! I know, because I talked to couple of colleagues I know from my institute and they saw 3 prototypes with different set of feature connectors, etc. If you know anything about technology, you would know such things can't be faked.

Do you have any evidence that makes you so sure it's vaporware!? :naughty:

i believe they all can make them at affordable prices, this may very much help out the market abroad..

Yes, initially it's intended to be made available to school kids at cost (not for general sale to public). The govt is offering an undisclosed % over cost as profit to the potential manufacturers that maybe interested in bidding. It will be opened to bids early next year when the prototypes are further refined. The bidding manufacturers will have complete freedom to market it globally if they choose.

I just did some rough calculations for parts only (CPU, PCB, back-lit LCD, PS/battery unit, etc.) and $35 to make it into a finished product (with support) is a challenge. I am sure the assumption they are making is that it will be produced in the millions, to demand huge discounts from parts suppliers and reduce per unit cost. We just have to wait and see whether they are successful in making it at a low cost. The $10 goal the minister talked about is a bit wishful thinking, unless he figures govt subsidies coming from education funding ... in this case, that's wouldn't be such a bad thing. Biggest educational bang for the buck!

That's so much hot air. The prototype was demonstrated live and people have actually tried it out! This is NOT a simulation on a computer, it's a tablet computer! I know, because I talked to couple of colleagues I know from my institute and they saw 3 prototypes with different set of feature connectors, etc. If you know anything about technology, you would know such things can't be faked.

Nope, no evidence anywhere of India's failure to help any of it's impoverished.

Any high school geek can assemble a working tablet PC using parts from newegg. Not for $35, not anywhere near the volume they promise. I would like them to succeed but the smart bet in this space has always been on fail. Sorry.

Nope, no evidence anywhere of India's failure to help any of it's impoverished. Well, this is some evidence that the govt is at least trying by partnering with private industry, to help provide the tools to school kids to improve education! Due to economic policy changes in the last decade, India is now the second fastest growing economy in the world, yet there is plenty of evidence to knock down evidence of progress.

[/b]Any high school geek can assemble a working tablet PC[/b] Really? If so, do you have any evidence to substantiate? using parts from newegg. Not for $35, not anywhere near the volume they promise. I would like them to succeed but the smart bet in this space has always been on fail. Sorry.

If some school geek "has" built a functioning prototype with touch screen, real operating environment and working apps, we would have heard about it by now and there would be venture funding swarming about.

There is a difference between saying, "can" vs. "has" built!

Look Radek, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings in doubting India's ability to source the parts, manufacture, and distribute tens of millions of units for $35 a pop. You've convinced me that this little prototype is so incredibly fantastic that it's awesomeness transcends such mundane considerations like actually building it in quantity for such a low cost. And with India's incredible track record of efficient, ground breaking manufacturing technology there is really no reason to doubt the inevitable success.

Radek, please let us all know when the unit starts shipping in volume.

I have requested a prototype to see for myself. As I said, it is projected to ship in volume 1Q/2Q'2011. If that doesn't happen, I will eat my words ...

In fact, I have joined a community of interested Indian investors (in US, with tons of money!) to convert this prototype into a freely marketed product.

I shall keep you posted.

Look Radek, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings in doubting India's ability to source the parts, manufacture, and distribute tens of millions of units for $35 a pop. You've convinced me that this little prototype is so incredibly fantastic that it's awesomeness transcends such mundane considerations like actually building it in quantity for such a low cost. And with India's incredible track record of efficient, ground breaking manufacturing technology there is really no reason to doubt the inevitable success.

Have you looked at the small car made by TATA? It's real and it's selling reasonably well.