dave545

OPINIONS H&K SL8-6?

i am serious thinking about buying this like serious means i put it on hold so its put away for me in the back. they are not being shipped to the USA anymore so whats here is here and it looks pretty sweet. so i am more than likely going to buy this what you guys think?

HK_SL86_223_B.jpg

nice gun. all plastic. Unless you must have it.... I would pass.

Mags are not standard AR mags. I can think of better ways to spend $1800.

+1, it's overrated. A better buy is piston driven SIG 556, or if you want pure / standard AR, the newer piston driven AR's by Adam Arms are great (a bit pricey, but worth it). I have couple of piston driven uppers, in 5.45 and 5.56, and they shoot accurate! The downside is that the gas adjustability is limited to only 2 positions ... might not work with some ammo.

A lot of money for a arm that doesn't come with sights. I bought the SL8-1 when it first came out and though expensive for the time, it wasn't that crazy. HK released a statement a week or three ago that importation of the SL8-6 to the USA would cease. I wouldn't run out and buy one because of that unless it was NIB for under 1500.

The furthest I've shot it was 200m and it did just as well as anything else in it's class, in my hands. It's a nice rifle, I still have mine and you are welcome to shoot it before you commit the money that you should be putting towards a SCAR.

Well its hard for one person to answer what another should do so I can only say what I would do/be interested in. If I were hot to do a G36ish conversion I would like one. But you will spend almost double the price of the rifle to get there. So that was always a turn off. There are conversion to make it AR mag capable but again its pricey. I HATE the stock stock. And Im not opposed to thmbhole stocks but that one really is horrid for me anyway. At this point with SCAR,s and ACR,s available I think that you really have to have a hankering for an SL8 to go that route. If you do then Melgamatics looks to be a really good deal considering all the extras.

Shane

Also, I do not believe the stock is Carbon Fiber. Especially the way it is commonly thought of. If Im not mistaken it is Polymer reinforced with CF strands. Which BTW is ine of the reasons the G36 hasnt fared so well. After a heavy day at the range with a good dose of full auto, they tended to sag :shock: