fermbizz

Recoil buffers

They usually go on the end of the guide rod to eliminate slide against frame battering. Used one on my 1911 and it started malfunctioning. Never used again. Would never use on a defensive handgun. Stock is always best for defense. I guess if you're blasting a ton of lead at the range, it can't hurt. Buffer Technologies makes one for the Ruger 10-22 which I use with no problems. Wilson Combat for 1911 below:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=241631&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=649

i only use them on some of my rifles. never had one on any of my handguns.

and i will 2nd Old >>> i dont think its a good idea to use them on handguns. if u compare how much less recoil u will feel (i wonder if u actually will feel any difference) vs heightened chances of jams / malfunctions >>> def not worth it.

all of my rifles that have a buffer are at least 7.62mm btw

Heres my thought for rifles (they make em for AKs, SKSs, etc)

The rear of the reciever on these rifles(or any rifle) is never designed to take full impact of the bolt/carrier. You add the buffer and its connecting the 2, actually increasing pounding to the rear. They are also slightly elastic, shooting the bolt/carrier foward with more force than usual, and pounding the front.

They cause malfunctions and are more detrimental to the gun. If a buffer is needed, even on a cheap commie gun, they woulda put one in! The PPSH, cheapest SMG ever (well, almost) had a leather buffer. So if designers really though it was needed they woulda used one.

Do you think you are smarter than browning by putting a buffer in his 1911?

Recoil buffers are polymer pads that slide onto the guide rod (as someone pointed out) at the base of the recoil spring, to lessen the metal-to-metal battering during cycling. I used them on my 1911 when I was shooting IPSC in the 80's - still one on there and some in my range bag kit. There is no perceptible difference in felt recoil, the idea is to save wear-and-tear on the gun. Never had a problem as far as functioning.

I do not have one on the 1911 that I carry. It doesn't get shot that much, and even urban legends sometimes have their basis in truth. What was said about recoil buffers was that when they deteriorate and are battered to pieces, one of those pieces may gum up the works and cause a stoppage, usually at the worst time. I don't think I ever saw this happen over the time I was competing - to my gun or anyone elses - and there were quite a few people using them. But still......

YMMV

Adios,

Pizza Bob

http://www.dpmsystems.com/en/products/

This is the company that doesnt use buffer pads but they incorporate 3 springs so its kind of similar to high performance racing shocks.

here's a cross section view http://www.theshootersbox.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=167

video

NU-e7KV5UIc&feature=related

wow. does this really work? or is it just another marketing bs?

I don't think a recoil buffer will help with hot loads. Your only masking a potential problem. If the slide is getting beat up, than maybe you should not run those loads in your gun.

I think of it like a K frame Smith&Wesson. You can shoot stout 357 loads through it, but it was really intended for 38special and the frame is not meant to withstand the battering from a steady diet of magnums. Eventually you will shoot the gun loose and out of time. My Dan Wesson CBOB can handle any 10mm load too, but consistently firing 135grain @1600fps is a bad idea. Putting in the recoil buffer has not impeded function in any way (for regular or hot ammo) and it provides a shock ablsorber between the slide and frame for those infrequent times when I do run the hot stuff in the gun.

I don't think a recoil buffer will help with hot loads. Your only masking a potential problem. If the slide is getting beat up, than maybe you should not run those loads in your gun.

I think of it like a K frame Smith&Wesson. You can shoot stout 357 loads through it, but it was really intended for 38special and the frame is not meant to withstand the battering from a steady diet of magnums. Eventually you will shoot the gun loose and out of time. My Dan Wesson CBOB can handle any 10mm load too, but consistently firing 135grain @1600fps is a bad idea. Putting in the recoil buffer has not impeded function in any way (for regular or hot ammo) and it provides a shock ablsorber between the slide and frame for those infrequent times when I do run the hot stuff in the gun.

Yeah but you are actually "connecting" the slide/frame at an earlier moment due to the space it takes up, where the force is actually higher. So while the connection isnt as "sharp" due to the buffer, the force exerted is actually higher.

Yeah but you are actually "connecting" the slide/frame at an earlier moment due to the space it takes up, where the force is actually higher. So while the connection isnt as "sharp" due to the buffer, the force exerted is actually higher.

The pressure is not, in and of itself, what batters the frame and slide. It is related to the duration. Think about a shotgun recoil buffer. Your shoulder feels better after shooting a shotgun that has one than one without. The recoil was not magically dissipated into nothingness, but rather it was spread out over time. It is the impulse that causes the damage. Buffers simply reduce the impulse by slowing down the interaction.

The pressure is not, in and of itself, what batters the frame and slide. It is related to the duration. Think about a shotgun recoil buffer. Your shoulder feels better after shooting a shotgun that has one than one without. The recoil was not magically dissipated into nothingness, but rather it was spread out over time. It is the impulse that causes the damage. Buffers simply reduce the impulse by slowing down the interaction.

Yes, but its not like (arbitrary numbers) the stock setup would cause 1000 lbs of force over .1 seconds and a buffer would be 1000 lbs over .2 seconds, its more like 2,500 lbs over .2 seconds. Sure the impulse is over a greater length of time but the actual force is increased. If it was so simple to make such a large improvement why dont all guns come with them? Plus, your still bouncing everything foward at an accelerated rate.

Why not just use a heavier spring for heavier loads?

Why not just use a heavier spring for heavier loads?

That is definitely one solution. I do that on my Glock 20 Longslide because I frequently run hot ammo through it. In my Dan Wesson CBOB, I don't put the hot stuff through it that often. You should remember though that a stiffer spring reduces the impact of the slide hitting the frame on the way back, but it does increase the impact when the slide is going forward back into battery.

I think most guns are adequately sprung for the vast majority of the loads that will be put through them, but that not all loads are created equal in terms of varying power across loadings. For example, I wouldn't put a buffer on a 1911 in 45ACP. Even +P loads aren't that stout. There are only certain calibers that have the extremely wide range of power loadings as 10mm though (i.e. 45Super, 357sig, 9X25Dillon, etc). You can load them up like pussycats, or load them for bear, and anything in between. For them, I feel like the buffer acts as a failsafe.