Frank Jack Fiamingo

*** VERY Positive Meeting with the NJ District 9 Legislators

I am pleased to report that Bob and I had a very positive meeting with Senator Chris Connors, Assemblywoman DiAnne Gove, and Assemblyman Brian Rumpf this morning. We met for approximately 45 minutes, and discussed such issues as CCW, the Castle Doctrine, OGAM, the use of the NICS check rather than the procedures currently in effect to obtain a FID or PP, hollow point ammunition, and other issues.

All three legislators appeared to be open to supporting bills that reduce the admittedly over-reaching regulations that we all face in the State of NJ. Chris took the time to explain the process followed before a bill ever makes it out of committee, and is presented for a vote. Basically, we have to make this a PRIORITY in the eyes of the legislature. Right now, it simply isn't. None of this is news to anyone here, but our 40 District Legislative plan is designed to COMBAT this obvious lack of urgency. Part of what the NJ2AS does is to educate people as to what these rights really entail, and why they are so important. We have to start with the people who are in the best position to effect a change, and that is what we ARE doing.

We were also able to get a commitment from Chris and the other representatives to help ease our way, by making introductions to other legislators throughout NJ. He also gave us a few ides on where to concentrate. This one meeting is not going to change anything, but all in all, it was a GREAT start, and was VERY encouraging.

I hope to have more news for you soon regarding other such meetings. I am asking everyone to do their best to make the September 13th meeting, and to drag family and friends along (kicking and screaming, if necessary). One of the things the people we meet with are VERY interested to know is "How many members do you have?" and "How active are your members?". Obviously, the more people who show up, the more potential members we can attract. So, if I appear to be "harping" on this theme, that is because I *AM*! :-)

If there is more you need me to do to make this happen, please feel free to let me know about it. I will do my best to make it happen. Thanks for your cooperation. And a SPECIAL thanks to Bob for guiding me through this process. There is no way I can adequately express how helpful his participation in this process has been.

Just so you know, Frank did a terrific job. Connors, Rumpf and Gove were very receptive and commented that NJ needed an organization with our mission and approach. I believe that they will help us and I believe this was an important first step.

Thanks everyone. It is just a start. But it WAS encouraging. We honestly were not expecting to have too much resistance in District 9. This is a pretty "gun friendly" area, with a lot of hunters, and "outdoors men". The true test will be how "bloody" we come out of a meeting up in the Northeast Districts. I am learning as I go along. I think we made some friends today. that could prove very helpful going further. Bob and I will be sitting down to determine which Districts to target next. We will keep everyone informed.

Funny story... It is a VERY good thing that Bob has my back. I inadvertently had verbally given Bob the incorrect time for the meeting. Had he not re-read the email I had previously forwarded to him, and called me about it, I would have showed up for the meeting an HOUR late. I think it would have turned out to be a totally different story had that happened. So.... those "senior" moments you keep hearing about.... um well...... WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE????????

Great work fellas.

I am in district 2 and you'll need some dems like the state sen in this district to go along. If you check the CCW bill that was proposed there were a few dem co-sponsors. That might be a good place to start.(Like anthony chiappone of bayonne) Also Sen. Jeff Van Drew (I think district 1) seems like he would be receptive to some new ideas concerning the 2nd Am.

Again great job.

Good work guys,

Although it's hard for me to believe anything any politician says so close to election time or in general for that matter. I dont know if either of them are up this November, but that also could have persuaded them to say what they said. Although im very hopeful that they aren't lying through their teeth, I just hope they vote the right way if the time ever comes on the gun bills A1384 if it ever comes up. Frank and Bob keep up the good work guys, this is a continual struggle in this state. Is it possible to get a meeting with the assembly persons on the law and public safety committee?

Great work!!

Everybody need to be prepared for a long up hill slog. Keep in mind that it took Cryan Miller 4 years to get his *One Gun a Month* bill passed, and that was with an anti gun legislature.

We need to pull up the bootstraps, and tighten the belt.

We need to do whatever it takes to get these bills moving.

Does it take phone calls and letters to the chair of the committee sitting on these bills??

That's something we are trying to determine CGB. That certainly won't hurt. We are trying to cover *ALL* the bases. We'll keep all the balls in the air until we accomplish our goals. Local, State-wide, and National. I hope to come back with some valuable information from the GRPC. I think the SAF can provide some EXCELLENT guidance. We will try to elicit as much support as we possibly can from them. If anyone has additional ideas about what we should be doing, please speak up.

One thing I *KNOW* that we need is as many people who know how to work publicity as possibly. Anyone who has *ANY* idea on how to get the newspapers to print our events, and the radio stations to announce them, would be a tremendous asset. A VERY large part of getting the right people to take us seriously is MEMBERSHIP. The more members we can show, the stronger we become.

So, if I seem to constantly repeat myself, it is because this point is so critical.

If letters help, maybe one of the things we can work on is getting a few various form letters that people can use. I've found that when pre made letters are made, people are more inclined to send them. Just fill out one's name and address, and drop it in the box.

And here's an interesting read on gun activism:

http://www.gunpoliticsny.com/?p=2115

Yes, that was an excellent article.

I do agree with you that more people are likely to sign their name to a pre-made letter, but I think that has less impact than individuals writing their own letter (for the very fact that form letters ARE easy). If I am a politician, and I see a bunch of letters from people AGGRAVATED enough to actually sit down and WRITE something - I *KNOW* I am in trouble, whereas if I see a bunch of people who really only took the time to email a form letter, or drop it in a mailbox, I'm not thinking they are all that incensed. That is just my opinion.

I do agree with you that more people are likely to sign their name to a pre-made letter, but I think that has less impact than individuals writing their own letter (for the very fact that form letters ARE easy). If I am a politician, and I see a bunch of letters from people AGGRAVATED enough to actually sit down and WRITE something - I *KNOW* I am in trouble, whereas if I see a bunch of people who really only took the time to email a form letter, or drop it in a mailbox, I'm not thinking they are all that incensed. That is just my opinion.

I agree that one personalized letter has more impact than one form letter, ...but, if you provide the letter, you may get 20 or 30 people to send it. If you don't provide the letter you may get 1 or 2 if you're lucky.

My approach has been to provide the letter, then appeal to the readers to feel free to use it as is or alter it as they see fit. That way, you get the 20 or 30 and you get the 1 or 2 or more that will personalize it.

I agree that one personalized letter has more impact than one form letter, ...but, if you provide the letter, you may get 20 or 30 people to send it. If you don't provide the letter you may get 1 or 2 if you're lucky.

My approach has been to provide the letter, then appeal to the readers to feel free to use it as is or alter it as they see fit. That way, you get the 20 or 30 and you get the 1 or 2 or more that will personalize it.

Exactly!!

That's what I did when Fred *One Gun a Month* Madden flipped. A number of people used it, and sent to him.

On a side note, I hope he gets some real heat from some opposition next year.......