fliks

Bug Out Bag / Survival Gear

OK, so there's been discussions of the "bug out bag" and I wanted to wait until I take pics of mine to start this thread. It's been mentioned a few times, so let's start it now. What do you think should go in it? what type of bag? all that... and why does every survival kit recommended by the pros includes para-cord?

You NEVER know when you could use a good para-cord. I think that a BOB would really be best suited in a backpack style bag so that it could be carried very easily.....although a duffel bag will fit more most of the time. Anyway......contents: knife, flashlight, spare batteries, basic medical supplies, compass, local map, cash, foldable wood saw, machete, hatchet, crow bar. I will edit if anything comes to mind.

machete, hatchet, crow bar

you need all three of those? :icon_e_surprised: that could be heavy. I opted for extra ammo instead of the crowbar and hatchet. I've got a folding "entrenching tool" that's got a pick and saw part and my machete has a saw on the other end, so I'm set with that. Sewing kit is a good addition. I'll list the whole contents of mine later. my wife is sitting across from me reading a "chick" book - if I whip out my B.O.B. and start going through the contents and listing them, she'll add another notch to the "how crazy is Feliks getting lately" list <_<

I haven't seen or haven't looked hard enough for maps that are small and compact.

I would start what I think.

Knives- one knife is zero knives- two knifes is one knife. Make sure they are good quality. Don't skimp, your life may depend on it

Flashlights- need a couple. 3v's are good for longevity but make sure you get some AA, cause batteries will be easy to come by. Don't skimp

Para cord- never know what, when, why..

Medical kit' some thread and a needle should be included. Rubbing alcahol and alcahol pads aren't a bad idea

money- keep some on hand, you decide whats your amount.

dry-food- a can or two of something is a good idea but can get heavy. MRE's are easy to come by, cheap and have a long shelf life. May not taste good but hey. They are also like 3000 calories, so one is a 1.5 day food supply for one person.

Matches, lighters etc..

Compass

Binoculars

poncho

Water- some of that G2 or gatorade powder stuff to be thrown in

Just some comments on your post Bryan, though I haven't put mine together yet. I do have a good deal of outdoor experience though.

Medical kit' some thread and a needle should be included. Rubbing alcahol and alcahol pads aren't a bad idea

Alcohol swabs should be mandatory. Infections = death during the Zombacolypse.

money- keep some on hand, you decide whats your amount.

Stick with gold/silver coins. If the government collapses during the Zombacolypse, today's currency won't be worth chit.

dry-food- a can or two of something is a good idea but can get heavy. MRE's are easy to come by, cheap and have a long shelf life. May not taste good but hey. They are also like 3000 calories, so one is a 1.5 day food supply for one person.

I never like the idea of canned food because they are very very heavy. In addition to MREs you can find freeze dried meals designed for backpackers at most sporting goods stores. They are light and take up very little space due to the packaging, and are farging DELICIOUS!

Matches, lighters etc..

Compass

Binoculars

poncho

Water- some of that G2 or gatorade powder stuff to be thrown in

In addition to the compass, be sure you know how to use it, and how to orient it against true north on a map. I would also include topo maps of the area you live and/or where your safehouse is. At a bare minimum, know the deviation in magnetic vs true north for your area.

Instead of a set of binoculars, get yourself a monocular. Weight is your enemy. Also consider one with NV capabilities, if the budget allows.

Along the same lines as water, get yourself water purification tablets. If you get sick from the water, chances are good you're zombie food.

Finally, every BOB should have a copy of the Boy Scout Handbook. Everything you need to know in a survival situation is in that book.

I never like the idea of canned food because they are very very heavy. In addition to MREs you can find freeze dried meals designed for backpackers at most sporting goods stores. They are light and take up very little space due to the packaging, and are farging DELICIOUS

Finally, every BOB should have a copy of the Boy Scout Handbook. Everything you need to know in a survival situation is in that book.

j0n, care to suggest any brands or types of meals that are particularly good?

how about the SAS Survival guide - any opinion on that?

and maps... I need some small laminated maps...

j0n, care to suggest any brands or types of meals that are particularly good?

how about the SAS Survival guide - any opinion on that?

and maps... I need some small laminated maps...

I love all the pasta meals that are offered by Mountain House. Never read the SAS Survival Guide... I should get a copy of it.

Be sure to get a topo map of where you live so that you can learn how to read it. Also be sure to learn how to orient your compass to the map or your map to the compass.

It's been awhile since scouts, but I recall there being two different handbooks. One was the regular book which had a lot of that stuff in it, but most of it was focused on someone trying to find you. "Stay put, make a lot of noise, start a fire, etc".

Then, there was like an "Advanced" Book, which taught you more stuff, but still focused on the "just survive until someone finds you" aspect.

Since we are talking about possible hostile situations here, I think a copy of the Army field manual would be more appropriate.

It's been awhile since scouts, but I recall there being two different handbooks. One was the regular book which had a lot of that stuff in it, but most of it was focused on someone trying to find you. "Stay put, make a lot of noise, start a fire, etc".

Then, there was like an "Advanced" Book, which taught you more stuff, but still focused on the "just survive until someone finds you" aspect.

Since we are talking about possible hostile situations here, I think a copy of the Army field manual would be more appropriate.

You may be thinking of the Wilderness Survival Merit Badge book. That, too is a great resource. The benefit of the Handbook, though, is the emphasis on everything you could need, including knots, lashings, first aid, orienteering, etc.

Is anyone contemplating a "Get Home" bag instead or in addition to a "Bug Out" bag? I personally am a little more concerned with getting home during an emergency event, than getting away.Once I'm at home I think I would have more choice of which supplies are more appropriate to carry for the situation.

• Like 1

Is anyone contemplating a "Get Home" bag instead or in addition to a "Bug Out" bag? I personally am a little more concerned with getting home during an emergency event, than getting away.Once I'm at home I think I would have more choice of which supplies are more appropriate to carry for the situation.

My plan is to make my "bug out bag" suitable enough to get home, or to my safe house in South Jersey. Sometimes going home just isn't an option.

• Like 1

this thread is really starting to mirror zombie squad.......

a 'get home bag' is used when youre at work or somewhere else, during an 'outbreak' lets call it, and cant drive home. its typically smaller and lighter and stays in your vehicle/workplace.

money, especially coins, are used when getting home or a 'bug out' (im really hating these terms), and the power is still turned on......so you can then use vending machines. stores may be looted already, but chances are if you come across a vending machine; no one is going to break into it, or want to pay during SHTF. they will likely be some of the last sources of food/water after an initial event.

another consideration if you BOB is supposed to get you to a house 50+ miles away. are you planning on walking to south jersey with this bag, or driving? if youre walking, it had better have everything a week long hike/camp trip will have. including tent, tarp, food, survival equip., repair equip., water/filter, sleeping bag, seasonal clothing, etc. the bag will be big and heavy enough to simply use an internal or external framed hiking pack instead of a military tacticool one.

this also leads to the level of "INCH" bag, or I'm Never Coming Home bag.......

I guess this all depends on a person's mentality and particular situation. I wanted to talk about survival & preparedness in general, it ended up in the NJ ZED area, but I'd prefer if we treat it as "survival in general" my bag that stays at home is kind of an INCH bag. right now, I work about 5 - 7 miles away, so no need for a "get home bag" - I can walk it in an hour and there's a golf club in my trunk in case I need to fight off zombies on the way... :icon_mrgreen:

You may be thinking of the Wilderness Survival Merit Badge book. That, too is a great resource. The benefit of the Handbook, though, is the emphasis on everything you could need, including knots, lashings, first aid, orienteering, etc.

Rip out the pages on morals, achievements, and treating women with respect to save weight :-P

I guess this all depends on a person's mentality and particular situation. I wanted to talk about survival & preparedness in general, it ended up in the NJ ZED area, but I'd prefer if we treat it as "survival in general" my bag that stays at home is kind of an INCH bag. right now, I work about 5 - 7 miles away, so no need for a "get home bag" - I can walk it in an hour and there's a golf club in my trunk in case I need to fight off zombies on the way... :icon_mrgreen:

Is it in a separate container away from the golf balls? If not that is a felony charge!

• Like 1

The issue I see with this is you never know what could be in your way. There could be A LOT of trouble in that 5-7 miles...you never want to assume that you will just be able to walk through it. Right now I have a Buck hunting knife, and a Maglite flashlight in my car....for now. I know the area, so I figure that if I cant get home with a knife and flashlight.....**** is REALLY f----- up. But I do plan on gathering a couple other supplies to keep in my car. What I listed before would likely be in my "Im never coming home" bag. Could you imagine what would happen if you got pulled over and had you car searched.....and they found a crow bar, machete, and hatchet? You would be screwed.

Edited by bbk
Language

Could you imagine what would happen if you got pulled over and had you car searched.....and they found a crow bar, machete, and hatchet? You would be screwed.

that's why I opted for a golf club and some random golf balls lying around in the trunk. If I get pulled over & searched, it looks innocent enough. and a crowbar in the trunk would be ok, I think. that "tire iron" thing could always make a nice weapon.

a golf club would not be good against a zombie, if thats what youre actually keeping it for. the shaft will easily bend, and it takes ALOT of force to actually crack a skull so deeply that the shards of bone pierce the brain. even using a wood or aluminum baseball bat isnt the best, no matter what the video game shows. knocking someone out or really, really hurting them with a bat to the head is one thing. incapacitating the living dead is another.

the crowbar has long been considered a nearly ideal close quarter Z weapon. in addition to its normal use as a crowbar, its weight and durability lend it well to a weapon......when coupled with the hooked end piercing the skull and entering the brain.

My electric company just sent me something in the mail, got it today in fact. It's like a newsletter called "currents" how punny. Anyway, the front page and the whole back is dedicated to...a bug out bag!

So I scanned it in.

I realize this is just one guy's take on it but it's pretty sound. I also notice the $200 kit listed at http://www.foodinsurance.com/ If I had an extra $200 bucks...why not. I'm sure you can put something together for cheaper, but if you've got the extra dough, it's all done for you.

bugoutbag1.jpg

bugoutbag2.jpg

• Like 1

yah, I've seen those. my problem - no extra $200 lying around. I've put together some stuff myself. and anyway, the experts suggest staying somewhere you're familiar, for as long as you can - like at home. 'cause once you "bug out", you're automatically a refugee...

Right, I also plan to stay at my house as long as possible. Only problem is that I live like 10 minutes outside of the ghetto....which means it probably wont be long until the **** starts hitting the fan here if it gets really bad. However, I would STILL rather stay in my house, then start wandering somewhere and not know what I will encounter and not know the area as well. The ONLY place I would head if I absolutely had to get out would be a friends house.

Right, I also plan to stay at my house as long as possible. Only problem is that I live like 10 minutes outside of the ghetto....which means it probably wont be long until the **** starts hitting the fan here if it gets really bad.

dude, that sucks for you. I got some condo units close to me, with all kinds of young hipsters and lower income families. far from ghetto, but still a concern in a SHTF

It does suck. Im 10 minutes outside of the ghetto part of Ewing, and 20 minutes outside of Trenton. That just means I will be seeing more action then you guys :icon_e_biggrin:

In all seriousness, I DO predict a SHTF scenario in the relatively near future (within 5-10 years max), but I dont think it will get so out of hand that my dad and I cant defend our house. I think the worst riot we will have near us will be when Obama DOESNT get re-elected.....ooooops, did I just say that?

The only real SHTF scenario that would make people actually abandon their homes would be if we were invaded. Honestly I dont see it as THAT far out of the question, but I just think some riots are the closest we will probably see.

In all seriousness, I DO predict a SHTF scenario in the relatively near future (within 5-10 years max)

me too

I think the worst riot we will have near us will be when Obama DOESNT get re-elected.....ooooops, did I just say that?

I was just thinking that last night - no way he's getting re-elected (but let's not talk politics)

The only real SHTF scenario that would make people actually abandon their homes would be if we were invaded. Honestly I dont see it as THAT far out of the question, but I just think some riots are the closest we will probably see.

invasion - doubtful. super flooding everything up to the Poconos - possible

Last year I attended a brief seminar with Dean Raymond (Mercer County OEM coordinator). It actually wasn't a seminar on OEM, but the current and emerging threats to soft and hard targets here in NJ (both natural and man-made). Point being without getting into the specifics that I hardly remember and would bore probably everyone, New Jersey, and really everywhere, is far more vulnerable then imagined.

As its been said, we're [society] is three meals away from chaos-- regardless of the cause. A physical invasion is highly unlikely (conventional warfare is a moot point until the technology levels the playing field... which at the current rate won't happen any time soon). But whether its power going out (which happens so often), massive flash floods (note the crazy storm that rolled through just yesterday, and the mini-mayhem it caused in parts of NJ), and/or even something like the H1N1 scares... mayhem is mayhem, and in a society as dependent as ours, it doesn't bode well for the average citizen who doesn't consider the alternatives.

Personally, I believe the mayhem will be caused because of the faltering economy (a man can be kicked so many times when he's down), and/or a "cyber-attack" on government and corporate infrastructure.

But I also do believe that in these events, society can and will persevere. Whether it takes a year or a few more handfuls, I do strongly believe that society could come out better.

And because of this, I cater my BOB, BIB, and INCH for that following. I need a waterproof/nearly pack with materials and consumables that either are waterproofed or don't mind getting a bit wet.

Regarding consumables, its light/high energy foods (powder, bars, peanut butter, etc). As for water, I keep a Camel Bak in my BOB/BIB, and Nalgene on my INCH-- with tablets for both. Other things are like 550, two ponchos (low/hi-vis), matches/lighters, batteries, extra socks and loose threads. And of course ammunition... which I am part of the mobility over firepower. Lets face it, if I am in a situation where I need to fire more then 100 rounds in one sitting, I'm probably toast anyway. So, being able to carry 1000+, to me, is overkill as I wouldn't depend on any buddies to mule for me. As for my sanctuary if I had to bug-out... well, while I wont disclose it, it'd be a hell of a journey west :wacko:

• Like 1

Ben, that was so well said.

some say we're 3 meals away from anarchy, some say 9 - I think, 3 or so days without supermarkets being supplied in some sort of bad situation - people will start freaking out.

and I agree with you about it being either economic or some serious flooding. society will most certainly recover, and may end up better off, but we gotta ride it out until then.