Pizza Bob

New Retro Toy

For a while I thought maybe I was destined not to have this gun. First, because of OGAM, I had to wait the requsite 30 days. And it was sitting at my FFL's the whole time - I got to fondle it when I picked up my previous purchase (S&W 646). Figure I'd give it a month and a day - just to be sure.

The morning I'd made arrangements to pick it up, my FFL calls me and tells me he got called into work for an emergency. OK, one more day - ohhhh nooooo, he's tied-up for the balance of the week and then going to VA Fri through the following Mon. OK, I'll see you Tue (yesterday) - fine. Head out there Tuesday (about 25 minutes from my house), pull into his driveway. Hmmmm, place looks deserted. Called on my cell and got his answering machine. Told him (it) I was sitting in the driveway. Waited 50 minutes and started home. Got about four miles from his house and he calls me - all apologetic. They'd had to stay an extra day in VA. He'd forgotten all about me, until he retrieved his messages. Apologized up, down and sideways. Can't stay mad at this guy - we've done a lot of transfers. So set it up for today, and here it is...

dsc01033x.jpg

dsc01037pn.jpg

It is a Lipsey distributor special. Ruger flat top, 4 5/8" barrel, Bisley Blackhawk in .44 Special. The grips are Hogue ivory polymer and the holster is a custom Threeperson/Keith by Henry Cassady Jr. out of TN. Only thing it needs is a Wolff trigger spring - it's not bad now, but would be wonderful just a tad lighter.

I love this caliber and I love the way this gun holds. Didn't like the looks of the Bisley's when they first came out - but then I held one and it all became clear. Looking forward to some range time.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Here is my recently acquired single action. It's a Ruger Buckeye. That is a Blackhawk that comes with a 10mm cylinder and a 38-40 cylinder for Cowboy Action Shooters. I am a 10mm fan, so the 38-40 wheel is staying in wax paper. No moonclips are needed with this rimless cartridge. It headspaces on the case mouth like a 45ACP and the ejector rod takes care of the rest.

This was part of a special batch made for Buckeye Firearms of Ohio. The factory even threw in a little Buckeye emblem on there. Thankfully I have relatives from Columbus, so I'm not an Ohio State hater. :)

RugerBuckeye002.jpg

RugerBuckeye001.jpg

RugerBuckeye003.jpg

Very cool, Chris! We may start getting some of single-action and big-bore fans to come out of the closet. Nuthin' wrong with thumb-busters.

david813:

Thanks for the kind words. If you want see some real gunstores, come on south and I'll take you on the PA gunstore tour (ask old school). I love spending other people's money.

I do tend to like kind of odd-ball, unique stuff. Our tastes must just coincide in that respect. Already have my eye on what I want next, but I'm at the stage where I have to sell in order to buy (old school is hopefully going to help out there - I'll be seeing him on 10/4).

Seriously David - if you want to tour some nice shops, just come down. Open invitation.

Adios,

Pizza Bob