Pew Pew Plates

Anyone have a letter confirming that ground lugs are OK?

I know its understood as legal, but does anyone have an ATF or NJSP letter saying that grinding the ears off a bayonet mount makes it legal? I tried searching google a ton and get more results using the word mount instead of lug...but all I get is import stuff and they still dont go over what makes a lug legal.

You won't find anything federal, since there is no federal AWB. If it is no longer suitable for the purpose intended (securing a bayonet) how can it be illegal? It is no longer a bayonet lug - it's just a piece of casting flash on the bottom of the gas block.

You won't find anything federal, since there is no federal AWB. If it is no longer suitable for the purpose intended (securing a bayonet) how can it be illegal? It is no longer a bayonet lug - it's just a piece of casting flash on the bottom of the gas block.

I didn't want to offer my 2 cents since I had no idea why he was asking.. but I agree with you completely..I don't think it matters if you call it a mount.. lug.. etc.. because NJ uses the vague wording "mount".. I think that it is safe to say they are saying "can you readily mount one"..

the lug is no longer a countable part when you can no longer affix a bayonet to it.. because at that point it is no longer a "mount"

I'm guessing you want to have a cleaning rod housing on an AK, but meet local regulations. If the lug is ground so that the housing for the cleaning rod is still there, but the lug for a bayonet is not, then I can't possibly imagine that being considered a "bayonet mount" as it is not capable of mounting a bayonet.

What's also a little confusing is the lug on the gas block is not a bayonet mount/lug but meant for mounting other accessories, though you should grind that down too as well IMO.

I'm also not a lawyer, so don't take this as advice :icon_e_biggrin:

I understand that the ears being ground off is good to go. But the FFL that I'm working with on my polish AK is confused... It has a type 1 bayonet lug. Which means...it doesnt have a bayonet lug. The bayonet hoop goes over the muzzle and it clips over the gas block itself with no distinguished lug! It has 2 little "fangs" up front that may be the locking mechanism which I would just take off but the concern is that the bayonet is still mountable

If the bayonet can still go on, but not lock, is that OK then? Because short of butchering the front end horribly, the only thing that can be done is removing the fangs that lock it. But the bayonet would still go on the rifle, just not positivly lock.

You can see how instead of the more normal method, the bayonet clips over the gas block and not a lug

010-063.jpg

010-057.jpg

520Polish20AK47201960207_62x392016in2015-1882.jpg

Yeah, I see what you mean. Perfect example of a bs law written by people who knew nothing about guns trying to accomplish something is not even possible. I'm really not sure how you'd prevent it from taking a bayonet (short of friggin up the whole front of the gun) or if the bayonet being loosely attached seriously even counts as having a bayonet mount.

I mean heck, if someone wanted to go all taliban style, they could probably make a "bayonet" out of a kitchen knife and twisty ties. Does owning a rifle, kitchen knives and twisty ties count as constructive possession? :lol:

Maybe call NJSP and see what they say in regards to a gun not having a bayonet mount but a bayonet being able to loosely and improperly fit on it?

Pretty stupid that you can own a rifle that's lethal out to 400 yards but god forbid it can have a knife on the end that's lethal out to 4 yards :lol:

Yeah, I was thinking if it cant lock on its legal. This is for 2 reasons:

#1 All other conventional lugs are undone by just taking the little ears off. This is widely used by NJ people, and is used for importing some rifles (like the PSL) so I know the feds like it too. This also allows a bayonet to slide on, just not lock.

#2 If you go by the "If a knife can somehow hang on it its illegal" thought, then like you said, even an AK bayonet dangled off the nude muzzle of an AR would be illegal.

Yeah, I was thinking if it cant lock on its legal. This is for 2 reasons:

#1 All other conventional lugs are undone by just taking the little ears off. This is widely used by NJ people, and is used for importing some rifles (like the PSL) so I know the feds like it too. This also allows a bayonet to slide on, just not lock.

#2 If you go by the "If a knife can somehow hang on it its illegal" thought, then like you said, even an AK bayonet dangled off the nude muzzle of an AR would be illegal.

I am no lawyer but I think it is simple as that.. if it can't lock into place.. then it is not mountable.. I don't think it being able to just hang there counts as mountable..