Frank Jack Fiamingo

*** WORK ON PUBLICITY COMMITTEE ***

We are working hard to bring you interesting, knowledgeable speakers, and presenters. We need people who can help to get the word out. If you have any experience with publicizing club events, or even if you don't - but are willing to help, we would appreciate your help.

Thanks.

A suggestion for Tom would be to try and establish a rapport with newspaper reporters. Papers like the Asbury Park Press work in a certain coverage area, and look for subject matter in Monmouth and Ocean Counties. Their reporters cover certain areas or "beats" are they're known. Since the NJ2AS meeting takes place in Toms River, then you would look for a reporter that covers that town. Then there's the story of the people (people type features) who organized NJ2AS, like the prez being from Manahawkin. You would seek out the reporter that covers Manahawkin. Also community calendar, Channel 12 and The Star Ledger. Same approach with the Ledger with regard to finding out who covers Ocean County. It may take awhile to establish these relationships. There will be 5 reporters saying no, 4 saying maybe and one saying yes. Paul Mulshine of the Star Ledger has a blog here: blog"]blog[/url] and is pro 2A. He also gets hundreds of e-mails a day, so patience s required. I've met Paul and found him to be very down to earth.

Whenever you have speakers, whether local gun owners, NJ State Reps or anyone special, think about the market for readers.

A suggestion for Tom would be to try and establish a rapport with newspaper reporters. Papers like the Asbury Park Press work in a certain coverage area, and look for subject matter in Monmouth and Ocean Counties. Their reporters cover certain areas or "beats" are they're known. Since the NJ2AS meeting takes place in Toms River, then you would look for a reporter that covers that town. Then there's the story of the people (people type features) who organized NJ2AS, like the prez being from Manahawkin. You would seek out the reporter that covers Manahawkin. Also community calendar, Channel 12 and The Star Ledger. Same approach with the Ledger with regard to finding out who covers Ocean County. It may take awhile to establish these relationships. There will be 5 reporters saying no, 4 saying maybe and one saying yes. Paul Mulshine of the Star Ledger has a blog here: blog"]blog[/url] and is pro 2A. He also gets hundreds of e-mails a day, so patience s required. I've met Paul and found him to be very down to earth.

Whenever you have speakers, whether local gun owners, NJ State Reps or anyone special, think about the market for readers.

Thank you for these suggestions. I will make sure our members explore these opportunities. I will also pass this along to Tom.

No problem. I'm in the newspaper business and have been for 16 years, with 12 of them here in New Jersey. Have a bit of a conflict with regard to coverage of these events since I'm part of it (ethics thing). But I am thinking about doing a story about "new" NJ gun owners. Who they are, where they live and what else they do with their lives. You know, next door neighbor type of thing.

I'll help in any way I can though with regard to suggestions. I also know a lot of reporters and will throw the bait out and see who bites.

Mo problem. I'm in the newspaper business and have been for 16 years, with 12 of them here in New Jersey. Have a bit of a conflict with regard to coverage of these events since I'm part of it (ethics thing). But I am thinking about doing a story about "new" NJ gun owners. Who they are, where they live and what else they do with their lives. You know, next door neighbor type of thing.

I'll help in any way I can though with regard to suggestions. I also know a lot of reporters and will throw the bait out and see who bites.

*THAT* would be phenomenal. Part of our problem is, there is no one in our group with *ANY* real PR experience. We are having difficulty getting that critical aspect of our efforts going. ANY help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU.