Sign in to follow this  
usnmars

New project 1897 Riot/Trench gun

Well project rust bucket is making more progress. I just finished putting the heat shield/bayo lug on. WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT! I had to hone out the diameter of the lug where it slides over the barrel with a brake cylinder hone to get it so it will slide over the barrel. It took me a couple of hours. Then I had the fun job of notching the barrel so the securing screws can pass through. That too was tricky, but I got it done. I had to re-tap the holes in the bayo lug because I buggered up the threads a little. SOOOO, unless you have a tenacious personality, dont even try it. I had this thing off and on maybe 100 times test fitting and then doing a little filing. IT IS A PAIN!!! so after maybe 5hrs and a half of a case of beer here it is..........

DSC00709.jpg

and after a little more filing and tweaking, a bayonet does securly fit on too! Now to cut back the barrel about 1/2 an inch to the right length and I'll be happy for today.

DSC00711.jpg

Here's a tip, get the chamber reamed. Many of them are still under original diameters, which are too small for today's shells.

btw....how much barrel do you need on the end for the heat sheild to fit properly?

Cemeterys Gun Blob My initial cut gave me a 20" barrel. I then took about a half inch off, so maybe 19.5 inch. I would say dont cut until you get your shroud, as you may need to cut a little more to get it right.

Cemeterys Gun Blob My initial cut gave me a 20" barrel. I then took about a half inch off, so maybe 19.5 inch. I would say dont cut until you get your shroud, as you may need to cut a little more to get it right.

I'll check out my barrel.

Here's a website with a bunch of info on the '97 that I used for mine > http://marauder.homestead.com/Shotgun.html

I am going to do a rust blue, it is what they do on most classic shotguns. Easy diy project you can do in the garage at home. I am just polishing to take the surface pits off and prep the metal for the process. Just like painting, the end result is directly proportional to the amount of prep work.

Looked it up....damn you need to boil the parts in water? I don't have a big enough pot for that or enough heat to do that. It also looks like you cant really make a mistake, or you have to start over. I think I am just going to try Brownells Aluma-hyde on my project.

Well almost done, I still have to do some minor work but I'd say I am 90% done. I still need to fix teh badly fitting butt plate, inlet for teh rear sling swivel, and do a little more finishing on teh wood to get a good match. teh bluing is done( wey're are also a couple of screws and pins that I need to get to) , it is covered in a very thick greasy oil right now as per teh bluing solutions directions that is why teh finish looks a little off right now. So total in teh project I think I have about $100 including teh gun. Here is some pics of what I have so far....... Noting like breathing a little life back into an old clunker.

DSC00788.jpg

side1.jpg