SpecialK

Group Encourages Bodega Owners To Arm Themselves

I would be very supportive of a national movement for this if it ever happens. This makes me want to print up a bunch of FPID applications and go hand them out

http://manhattan.ny1.com/content/top_stories/127939/group-encourages-bodega-owners-to-arm-themselves

At a time when the mayor leads a campaign to reduce the number of guns in the city, bodega owners are being armed in an effort to help them defend themselves against robbers.

Hispanics Across America President Fernando Mateo, who is spearheading the initiative, handed out gun permit applications to bodega owners Thursday in Hamilton Heights.

Mateo says now that the city has lowered prices of gun applications, bodega owners will apply and be better equipped to protect themselves.

"If that bodega owner has a weapon, it sends a message to that guy, 'You know what? You can take my life, but I can take yours as well,'" Mateo said.

"We need protection. We need something in our hands so we can defend because it's real hard when somebody comes and asks you for the money and you don't know what to do because all you see is a gun in your face," said Bodegueros Association President Ramon Murphy.

The group is also calling on the City Council to require surveillance cameras in convenience stores.

Bodega owners and customers who spoke with NY1 all seemed to agree with the gun proposal.

"If you're in a legal business, you should be able to protect yourself, your business and your surroundings," said one bodega customer.

"It is a good idea. Because sometimes in the nighttime they be hanging out here bad peoples so they need to have it, all the bodegas they need to have it," said one bodega owner.

The move comes days after Juan Torres, 54, was gunned down in a robbery attempt at the Lucky Deli and Grocery on Merrick Boulevard in Laurelton.

No arrests have been made in the case.

"It has to stop, it's enough. The pain is great and we don't want nobody else, not one other family to go through this," said Torres' niece, Albania Torres.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly -- both of whom have come out strongly against illegal guns -- say they're not opposed to Mateo's legal permitting program altogether, but did express some concerns.

"Obviously, we do an in-depth investigation on anybody who has a pistol permit either a premise permit or a carry permit and that process will go forward if they actually submit these applications," Kelly said.

"You know, guns in the hands of kids and guns in the hands of criminals is what I'm focusing on," said the mayor.

Mateo says he will be speaking with the governor's office in hopes of taking the program statewide and ultimately nationwide.

• Like 3

Its nice to see politicians who are trying to focus on those who ILLEGALLY OWN firearms, and not just firearms in general. There are people who host dog fights, there are people who race cars.....do you see any group out there that tries to COMPLETELY restrict EVERYBODY'S ownership of dogs, or use of cars.....even though cars kill more people than guns? Nope. Its just plain ignorance. And I think its GREAT to see politicians who actually PROMOTE the legal use of firearms in self defense.

Guest megaman

" THE ONLY LIBERALS ON CRIME ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE NOT BEEN ROBBED YET"

THE ORACLE :icon_twisted::hopechange2sp6nv4-1::icon_twisted:

I hate NYAGV they are terrible human beings watch this video of Mateo (my new favorite person on the east coas) debating one of these retards. Sorry that is offensive to retards probably these people are scum sucking low life crap, yeah that sums up New Yorkers Against Gun Violence pretty well. The debate is good stuff here it is http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-guns-for-bodega-owners,0,1607521.story

Guest megaman

" THE ONLY WAY TO FIGHT AND DISCORUAGE ILLEGAL GUN USE IS LEGAL GUN USE UNDER LAWS THAT MAKE IT SO"

THE ORACLE HAS SPOKEN... :hopechange2sp6nv4-1:

"You know, guns in the hands of kids and guns in the hands of criminals is what I'm focusing on," said the mayor.

How Bloomberg can say that with a straight face boggles my mind. He would like nothing better that to see every gun, everywhere, tossed into a giant cauldron and melted down into slag.

It's hard to believe that there's actually someplace with worse gun laws than NJ, but there's your proof. Even here, the law allows you carry a firearm on any property that is legally in your possession, including businesses that have your name on the lease.

It doesn't make any sense to prevent business owners from protecting themselves, especially those who deal in cash, in questionable neighborhoods, in areas underserved by NYPD, and who are open until late at night, when the predators come out to play.

Having cameras in the stores doesn't do anyone any good if all they can do is possibly identify the animals who walk in and gun down shop owners for a few bucks in the register and a couple of packs of Skittles. They prevent nothing, and anyone who thinks they do is an imbecile.

Stupid friggin' feelgood liberal dickheads.

It's hard to believe that there's actually someplace with worse gun laws than NJ, but there's your proof. Even here, the law allows you carry a firearm on any property that is legally in your possession, including businesses that have your name on the lease.

It doesn't make any sense to prevent business owners from protecting themselves, especially those who deal in cash, in questionable neighborhoods, in areas underserved by NYPD, and who are open until late at night, when the predators come out to play.

For the record, you can own a handgun in your property and in a rental property in New York City. You can also own a handgun for protection in your store. The issue is that everyone seems to think it is impossible to get. The key sentence in that report is that they are "handing out applications."

Just yesterday I was talking with this woman about shooting and she mentioned that she gave it up when she moved here (I work in Manhattan) from Connecticut because it was illegal. Not true but she believed it, so she never applied. I even brought my old NYC premise permit to work to prove it to her and I am going to assist her in getting hers.

As bad as NYC is, you don't have every little podunk PD making up their own rules. You call one number at the NYPD license division and the people that answer are definitive authorities and in most cases are the final say in the matter. But they aren't going to give a permit out if you never apply.

It has been said many times that the only way to advance pro-gun laws in New Jersey and New York is to get the urban populace involved. Democrat controlled legislatures in both states think only white urban men own guns and Hispanic and black residents only own illegal guns and commit crime.

It has been said many times that the only way to advance pro-gun laws in New Jersey and New York is to get the urban populace involved. Democrat controlled legislatures in both states think only white urban men own guns and Hispanic and black residents only own illegal guns and commit crime.

Wait, this isn't true?