I put gunzilla clp on my kershaw assisted opener. Dont ask me why It seemed like a good idea at the time :facepalm: . The knife if brand new and now it does not lock into place with the spring pressure alone. What can I do to either remove the oil or what can I use to loosen it up again? I was thinking wd-40 but Id better ask here before I screw it up more.

Thanks

I just soaked it in some hot water and decreasing dish soap. I dried it off with a towel but the inside is still drying. I will let you all know how it worked tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice. If this doesn't work I have some simple green I will try tomorrow. Is there anything I should put on the knife after I fix this or just leave it the heck alone?

Caution on simple green: It is a weak base (opposite of acid) and will eat into aluminum. I doubt it would react enough to cause mechanical/structural damage, but it can mess aluminum up cosmetically.

Just a heads up in case there is aluminum in the knife somewhere, like in the handle.

Thanks for the heads up DD - didn't know that

It's a weak and dilute base but you definitely don't want to leave it hanging around on un-protected aluminum:

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?

When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.