CageFighter

anyone been to the "FiringLine" in Pearl River, NY?

Has anyone been to "the FIRING LINE" in Pearl River, NY on 100 North Middletown Rd? -if so, any comments/insight? i see they also rent guns. I called y-day and they are open till 10pm on Thurs & Fri nights. Gives me another option beside the BulletHole in Belleville that closes at 8:30pm. Thanx.

I may be incorrect, so please verify elsewhere, but I believe that there are legal issues involved with bringing a pistol over the NY state line from New Jersey for the purpose of shooting at a range. If I remember correectly, you may do it with a long rifle but cannot with a handgun. Please call the Firing Line or NY State Police to verify before you make the trip. Hopefully i am wrong.

I haven't been there, but please check the NY firearms transportation laws.

I don't believe you can legally transport a gun into NYS just to go and shoot on a range. I think you have to be competing in a sanctioned event to legally bring a firearm into NY. You may have to restrict yourself to their rental selections.

Oh crap! I went in there about a month ago from NJ because it's like 8 miles from my house! I could have been in big trouble huh?

Anyway, Firing Line:

Bad:

Really Expensive- you have to sign up for some sort of membership to shoot, if I remember correct, the guy told me it's going to cost me $50 to shoot for the day. He said I should sign up for membership if I plan on going there a few times as it would be cheaper.

Good:

Nice range - clean and well ventilated - then again, there were 3 of us when I was shooting.

Ryan

As others have noted.

Do not take a handgun into New York. If you are transiting NY to some other state, you are somewhat protected by Federal transport laws but the state can still jack you up.

The exceptions are NRA sanctioned events and you must have your entry materials and a program of the event. Also protected are Olympic events in which you are competing or are a coach.

Otherwise, you are committing a felony having a handgun in your possession as a non NY resident. It simply is not worth it.

The Firing Line is minutes from my house. I have shot there since '93 when I had no place else to go. Then it was called Serious Sportsman. I have a FiringLine membership card now, but don't recall paying anything for it, but then again that was a few years ago. If you have concerns, call them and ask for Fred and he can explain how the process works or maybe allay any fears: 845-620-0500. There are as many New Jersey license plates in the parking lot as New York on some weeknights. It's up to you to decide whether to shoot there or not. Prior to 2004 and LEOSA/H.R. 218, some north Bergen County towns' police departments without a pistol range shot there. Hmm......

Another place that holds NRA-sanctioned matches is Master Class in Monroe, NY. And they have a good selection of reloading supplies as well as Dillon presses set up to try. They'll even give you a mini-reloading session if you're unsure what to do. They are about 35 minutes north of the N.J. line. The fellow to speak to there is: Dennis Serpi: 845-774-4867. Unfortunately, they have trimmed back the matches in the last couple years thanks to the economy. They used to have nice catered lunches for each match!

PS - It's truly a shame that our laws are so convoluted that those who only want to go someplace to shoot feel perplexed by ridiculous laws.

i have carried my handgun in a case through NY state to go to states i can carry. Is that illegal also?

No. You are covered by the Federal transport laws that Malsua mentioned. As long as the gun you are taking is legal at the trips origin point and destination point, and is securely stored (unloaded) in your trunk, you are legal.

The Firing Line is minutes from my house. I have shot there since '93 when I had no place else to go. Then it was called Serious Sportsman. I have a FiringLine membership card now, but don't recall paying anything for it, but then again that was a few years ago. If you have concerns, call them and ask for Fred and he can explain how the process works or maybe allay any fears: 845-620-0500. There are as many New Jersey license plates in the parking lot as New York on some weeknights. It's up to you to decide whether to shoot there or not. Prior to 2004 and LEOSA/H.R. 218, some north Bergen County towns' police departments without a pistol range shot there. Hmm......

PS - It's truly a shame that our laws are so convoluted that those who only want to go someplace to shoot feel perplexed by ridiculous laws.

I spoke to Fred, he states to keep my 15rd mag at home & he will let me use their 10rd mags. was advised that u can bring a handgun to a NRA event, for show consignment, etc) & also training. since he is a NRA instructor, he said its my choice if i should go there. im still skeptical.

I spoke to Fred, he states to keep my 15rd mag at home & he will let me use their 10rd mags. was advised that u can bring a handgun to a NRA event, for show consignment, etc) & also training. since he is a NRA instructor, he said its my choice if i should go there. im still skeptical.

That sounds really sketchy. I'm not sure training under an NRA instructor qualifies as an NRA sanctioned event. I would proceed with caution.

That sounds really sketchy. I'm not sure training under an NRA instructor qualifies as an NRA sanctioned event. I would proceed with caution.

I may tend to agree with you after posting my earlier response. Same argument I give Fred everytime.

Although I admit to have been there in the past; today with access to the internet, my perusing the NJSP site, as well as reading too may shooting blogs and forums and learning about the discombobulated laws of our state and neighboring N.Y. has me believing in the appearance of sketchiness as well. Maybe 17 years ago I knew little or maybe cared less. Now with more to lose I do measure my time spent out of state. [interpret as: I am more paranoid today than I was years ago.]

I do travel out-of-state to N.Y. to sanctioned matches but I also have paperwork in hand denoting match schedule and agenda. Yet I know of many Bergen Cty. residents who shoot here regularly, they have for years and pay no mind to any issues.

i am new to this forum. my first day. i am a bergen resident. i used to go to a the patterson rod & gun right off of rt. 80 i believe. i was trained there by a former police chief. mr.cote conducted my 10 hour class.....and yes it was actually 10 hours, which was apart from the range hours. anyway i loved going to that range. i felt comfortable and secure there. i would go sometimes twice a week. cool people, and cool range. one day a few years ago i drive into the parking lot and notice the windows smoked over ! it went out of business ! just like that. so i stopped going for a while. then i found out about the bullethole. i went 2-3 times. didn't like it or feel secure there at all. bad vibe for me. so i stopped. i have been searching ever since. the clubs i have found ( that actually returned my calls) were either police only, private, or didn't allow magnum or 45 acp....which is what i shoot. i discovered the firing line. went there looked cool enough....but then i asked about the legality of crossing the state line into new york with a firearm. i do not compete in nra events, and never have. i am just lloking for an honest/safe place to shoot target. i never went there to shoot. i think i signed up for a lifetime membership for like $15 bucks, and was issued a laminated id card. i never did go because i didn't want to break the law. can anyone recommend a good shooting range for a bergen resident like me ? this really sucks :(

Welcome to the group.

I think the closest range that meets your needs is probably Cherry Ridge in Highland Lakes. Magnum is fine, .45 is fine. It's an outdoor range, annual fee, non-members can come as guests of a member for a $25.00 day rate.It's by far the nicest range in Northern NJ. Separate rifle, handgun, rimfire and shotgun ranges, handgun and rifle are paper targets only, clays only on shotgun, and the rimfire range has some reactive targets permanently set up.

Cherry Ridge Range

thanks kenw, thanks for the welcome. unfortunately though, that range is almost 2 hours away from me. looks really nice. maybe someday.

2HRS? where do u live in Bergen Cty, are u riding a bicycle? join Tenafly P&R club or go to Bayonne P&R, they are open late.

ps: i can make it from Ringwood to Jackson/Bayville in less than 2hrs. Ask Tony, Bry@n or Luis. :blink: