CageFighter

G19 Gen4 trigger job???

I was thinking about getting a trigger job on my new G19_gen4. has anyone had it done? if so, what did you do? i am reading different things all over the net. this will also be my carry gun (outside NJ), so i need to keep that in mind. what thoughts on the 25cent polish job? 3.5 lb connector & ny1 spring? just polish & 3.5 conn, no spring? pleae post you thoughts. any reccomendation on a gunsmith? i live in north nj.

I was thinking about getting a trigger job on my new G19_gen4. has anyone had it done? if so, what did you do? i am reading different things all over the net. this will also be my carry gun (outside NJ), so i need to keep that in mind. what thoughts on the 25cent polish job? 3.5 lb connector & ny1 spring? just polish & 3.5 conn, no spring? pleae post you thoughts. any reccomendation on a gunsmith? i live in north nj.

It's a Glock. No gunsmith needed. You can go to Ghost Triggers Inc website and buy everything you need for < $30. The only tool you will need is a punch for pushing out the pins. I go to Shore Shot or BA on Tuesdays. If you order it and bring it with you, I would be happy to show you how to install it. Night and day difference.

There are other, more expensive, options out there. I have shot a gun with a $200 trigger job (i.e. titanium firing pin, etc). It was nicer than mine, but not $270 nicer.

The NY1 trigger with a 3.5 connector is a nice combo. It feels something like a revolver. I went with the full power striker spring and a 3.5 connector.

http://www.ghostinc....for-Glocks.html

It's a Glock. No gunsmith needed. You can go to Ghost Triggers Inc website and buy everything you need for < $30. The only tool you will need is a punch for pushing out the pins. I go to Shore Shot or BA on Tuesdays. If you order it and bring it with you, I would be happy to show you how to install it. Night and day difference.

There are other, more expensive, options out there. I have shot a gun with a $200 trigger job (i.e. titanium firing pin, etc). It was nicer than mine, but not $270 nicer.

The NY1 trigger with a 3.5 connector is a nice combo. It feels something like a revolver. I went with the full power striker spring and a 3.5 connector.

http://www.ghostinc....for-Glocks.html

Chris I couldn't disagree with you more!

Though there are many non-gunsmiths that work on them successfully I think your statement is irresponsible.

Unless you are willing to accept the consequences of screwing something up you shouldn't mess with the guts of a GLOCK without an indepth knowledge of what you are doing. Even though they're not that complicated.

The "$.25 trigger job" ? I have some issues with what I've seen published. Some peeps doing the job actually polish the firing pin / trigger bar engagement... NOT GOOD!

Aftermarket parts? Not crazy about them. Have seen some out of spec.

As a carry gun and, I put my own safety where my mouth is, Stock, Stock, Stock!! Disassemble, clean and lubricate and you will have a reliable weapon. You can modify with certain GLOCK OEM parts but that's about all I can condone.

Range or comp guns are a totally different story.

• Like 1

Though there are many non-gunsmiths that work on them successfully I think your statement is irresponsible.

Unless you are willing to accept the consequences of screwing something up you shouldn't mess with the guts of a GLOCK without an indepth knowledge of what you are doing. Even though they're not that complicated.

The "$.25 trigger job" ? I have some issues with what I've seen published. Some peeps doing the job actually polish the firing pin / trigger bar engagement... NOT GOOD!

As a carry gun and, I put my own safety where my mouth is, Stock, Stock, Stock!! Disassemble, clean and lubricate and you will have a reliable weapon. You can modify with certain GLOCK OEM parts but that's about all I can condone.

Frank,

I have not had the experience you have with out-of-spec aftermarket parts. I agree that you don't want a super light target trigger on a carry or home defense gun. The Ghost trigger link I showed was intentionally one that is plug-and-play. There is no polishing, fitting, or gunsmithing required to install. As for installing the kit, a 12 year old could manage it. You can use some or all of the parts that come with the kit. The kit itself instructs you to not put in a light striker spring if the gun is for self-defense.

There is a line to walk between having a new guy terrified to change anything on his firearm and recommending that he throws all kinds of parts together into what could be an unsafe combination. If I crossed it, then my apologies. I do firmly believe that the Glock's modularity and its aftermarket are its strongest suits, and even new users should be able to take advantage of this.

Hey Brother,

Don't polish anything. The factory Glock parts are basically case hardened. They have been hardened on the outside, but the metal inside is still basically soft. They do this for two reasons, one because it's less expensive to make it that way, but it also offers good durability for the parts. If you start polishing on the hardened outer surface to try and clean it up, you'll just as likely go into the softer inner metal, which while it may feel better initially, will wear much more quickly.

Glock doesn't offer a short trigger option. If you are having difficulty reaching the trigger, there are folks like Robar that offer a grip reduction, but it's expensive, and to so folks eyes(mine included), it looks like crap.

The trigger pull can be "lightened" by installing one of the 3.5 lb. Connectors, available either from Glock, Lighting Strike, or others. When you talk about lightening the trigger pull on a Glock, there are actually two different areas of weight you need to discuss. First is the take up. The factory pistols come with a lightweight coil spring, that takes little effort to take up the travel. Unless yours came with one of the New York trigger springs, which are colored polymer and significantly increase the take up weight to eight or ten pounds, there shouldn't be any issue here.

The second part of the Glock's trigger weight is in the Connector. It's a small ramped part that affects the feel of the last bit of travel on the trigger before the striker is released. The factory part is normally set to deliver somewhere around five pounds of weight for the release. This normally relates into somewhere around a five to six pound trigger pull depending on parts variation. Installing the 3.5 lb. Connector will drop the feel down to somewhere around four to five pounds. Again, the take up will feel the same, but the release will be lighter. Glock also offers heavier weight parts for these as well, should a department want to increase the weight from the factory five pounds to something in the eight to twelve pound range.

Since you plan to install this in a carry gun, you might want to take note that most retailers will have a note stating the reduced weight Connector is "not for use in defensive weapons" and is intended only for range and competition weapons. It's a legal protection so that they can't be blamed for a negligent discharge on the part of the shooter...

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Harry

Ive read to stay away from the polish jobs, it can be trouble if you take off too much.

what about just changing out the connector to 3.5lb and leaving the rest?

OLD SCHOOL, do u mind sending me a PM w/ a contact# so i can ask u afew questions before i screw anything up?

+1 I would definetly not alter a CCW weapon. All The Smiths Ive questioned about

trigger jobs on pistols were very specific: Their 1st question was whats the intended purpose of the weapon & modification.

Immediatley following is if its for CCW they wont even touch it. The liability is so high in a court of law

even if it was a justifiable use of lethal force, you, the gunsmith and everyone involved in the altering

of the weapon come into question. One of the 1st things the LE Smith does is disassemble the weapon and check for

modifications of any kind in ANY shooting! This is a nation wide standard for statistics, ballistic data and public record.

God forbid you had accidental shooting??? Oboy...you can forget it. "Innocent victim is shot by modified cop killer gun"...

The anti's out there will eat it up....

for a ccw gun, I wouldn't do much to it. I just read an article in FL that a guy shot is groin trying to go to the bathroom.

Did he have a trigger job, who knows but I wouldn't be dicking around with a gun near my johnson if it could go boom rather quickly.

#1 if you ever have to use the gun, you can bet your @ss that they will say you pre-meditated the shoot by putting on a evil hair trigger.

#2 theres no safety on the glock(thank goodness!). The safety is its trigger. If you will be carrying it around, I wouldnt want a light trigger!

Finally a topic I think I can contribute to...

Do not modify your trigger. There are several reasons for this, most especially in a carry weapon. If you are unfortunate enough to find yourself in a shoot situation defending yourself, your gun WILL be confiscated and inspected. You will be asked during your statement if the weapon was modified. You will have to justify any modifications you made. This can be very tough to do in court. You will have to prove that you know more about weapon design than the engineers at Glock. Not likely...

Further, do you really think for one portion of a second that +- 2lbs of trigger pull is going to make a difference in a gunfight? Do you honestly think you will remember pulling the trigger? Or even how many shots you fired? If you think you will, you are kidding yourself. Do some case study history on police shooting. Read the statements from cops who shot their pistol to slide lock, reloaded, fired again...then in sworn testimony stated they fired 4 or 5 shots total. Things get dim and memory fades in situations that require deadly force. Believe me...I know.

If you feel that the trigger pull on a stock Glock is too hard to pull to get consistant accurate shots...you need to train. And I am not talking about going to the square range and popping off a few rounds at paper. I am talking about real world training. Force on force with sims or airsoft works best. It will show you how truly dicked up you are in a big hurry.

I carry a gun for a living...a lot. When I reach for a weapon to carry to protect my own life or the life of my clients, I reach for a Glock. They work. Period. And I have a safe full to choose from.

Back in my hole...

Do not modify your trigger. There are several reasons for this, most especially in a carry weapon. If you are unfortunate enough to find yourself in a shoot situation defending yourself, your gun WILL be confiscated and inspected. You will be asked during your statement if the weapon was modified. You will have to justify any modifications you made. This can be very tough to do in court. You will have to prove that you know more about weapon design than the engineers at Glock. Not likely...

So, wouldn't the same apply to changing the sights? Or adding an extended mag release?

So, wouldn't the same apply to changing the sights? Or adding an extended mag release?

Absolutely. As I said, you can find plenty of case history on the net. Do some research.

Some mods (such as night sights) are going to be easier to defend than others. But rest assured, you will have to defend your reasoning. Especially if the person you shot, or their family in the case of a fatality, sues for damages.

alot of the things mentioned not only make the gun look bad in court but detract from its combat suitability. As mentioned, extended mag release? Easier to lose your mag by accident! Plus its so you can reload faster and shoot more people as far as the court can twist it. As far as XD vs glock triggers.... my gen 3 19 has a great stock trigger for what it is. I wouldnt want a light trigger on a service pistol...

I'm not looking to start a fight, but there sure are a lot of armchair lawyers here.

People on the forum are very conscientious about rules regarding firearms in the state of New Jersey. Often times when giving out a recommendation or advice, they will preface it with "I am not a lawyer, so you should confirm with one or with check with the State Police, Attorney general, etc". Unfortunately that practice does not extend to doling out advice on modifications for carry firearms (not that it matters here in our non-carry home state). I have read from both lawyers and respected folks in the firearms world (like Masaad Ayoob) the exact opposite of what is being said here. To me it is yet another urban legend propagated by gun store commandoes, mall ninjas, and the like, and bought into by folks like us that live in a ridiculous state where gun ownership is illegal but for the exemptions they carve out for us. It's not hard to always assume the worst here.

While it is surely a practical matter to not have a 2lb trigger on your carry gun, what will be looked at are the circumstances of the shooting and whether it was justified or not. Whether you have a Hi-Point or a STI race gun is not of consequence unless the shooting is not considered justified.

I'm not looking to start a fight, but there sure are a lot of armchair lawyers here.

People on the forum are very conscientious about rules regarding firearms in the state of New Jersey. Often times when giving out a recommendation or advice, they will preface it with "I am not a lawyer, so you should confirm with one or with check with the State Police, Attorney general, etc". Unfortunately that practice does not extend to doling out advice on modifications for carry firearms (not that it matters here in our non-carry home state). I have read from both lawyers and respected folks in the firearms world (like Masaad Ayoob) the exact opposite of what is being said here. To me it is yet another urban legend propagated by gun store commandoes, mall ninjas, and the like, and bought into by folks like us that live in a ridiculous state where gun ownership is illegal but for the exemptions they carve out for us. It's not hard to always assume the worst here.

While it is surely a practical matter to not have a 2lb trigger on your carry gun, what will be looked at are the circumstances of the shooting and whether it was justified or not. Whether you have a Hi-Point or a STI race gun is not of consequence unless the shooting is not considered justified.

Jease Chris- I'm not gay for you or anything but I agree again... My Carry GLOCKS have extended mag releases. And I'm not scared of any litigations.

• Like 1

Jease Chris- I'm not gay for you or anything but I agree again... My Carry GLOCKS have extended mag releases. And I'm not scared of any litigations.

I'de be more scared of losing the mag.

Lunk, I agree with you to an extent, but you can never be too carefull. To each his own! At least people arent saying its illegal to mod the gun for carry <_<

not concerned about improper grip releasing it, more so outside factors like hitting it on something, or being forced to use an improper grip due to dire circumstances.

but im just an armchair novice CCW guy anyways :p

Edit: I've been googling, just read about some guy losing his mag while sitting in his car because his holster hit the extended release. Another no fun scenario

not concerned about improper grip releasing it, more so outside factors like hitting it on something, or being forced to use an improper grip due to dire circumstances.

but im just an armchair novice CCW guy anyways :p

Edit: I've been googling, just read about some guy losing his mag while sitting in his car because his holster hit the extended release. Another no fun scenario

The spring on the mag releases are pretty stiff on these GLOCKS. Without the extended release I really have trouble releasing a mag, kind of like my thunb isn't long enough. If you loose a mag accidently with a GLOCK there have to be other issues. The funny thing is I rarely carry a spare mag on my person but, a G19 high cap mag in the console.

Thread officially highjacked :icon_rolleyes:

The spring on the mag releases are pretty stiff on these GLOCKS. Without the extended release I really have trouble releasing a mag, kind of like my thunb isn't long enough. If you loose a mag accidently with a GLOCK there have to be other issues. The funny thing is I rarely carry a spare mag on my person but, a G19 high cap mag in the console.

Thread officially highjacked :icon_rolleyes:

Highjacking continued...

Believe it or not, the controls designed for a righty work better for this lefty. I use my left index finger for the slide lock and the same finger for the mag release. I feel like I have better control and more strength operating controls with my index finger than my thumb.

I call BS on the modded glock in court. Self defense is self defense. Maybe NJ is special.

I use a gen 3 trigger bar in my gen 4 glocks and polish everything metal wash with soap and water, dry oil all moving parts, re assemble.