Sign in to follow this  
Radek

Bi-focals are a bummer for rifle shooting

Recently, I got my bi-focals (unfortunately, runs in the family) and I am having a hard time focusing on the front and rear rifle sights. This is mostly an issue with iron sights, less of an issue with a scope. Those that have bi-focals know that the glasses have a top and bottom portion - top for far sight and bottom for near sight. This is not much of an issue with handguns since the handgun's front and rear sights (both) are further away and I can use the top portion of my glasses.

It's almost impossible for me to use the bottom portion of the glasses when using a rifle ... so, I end up using the top portion exclusively.

Now, if I "focus" on the front sight and target, the rear sight is completely blurred ==> results in bad (guessed) alignment to target. At 25 yards, for example with a Mosin, the best I can do is be within 3-6" circle on the target ...

In recent rifleman mag I came across this. I am thinking this might help with the problem above, but then again it needs to be tried out ... anyone has experience? Apparently, NASA astronauts are using these per WSJ?

The only other solution is laser eye surgery (aka, LASIK and advanced variants). I may yet go do this ...

You have bifocals with a line? Spring for panoramic bifocals and you wouldn't have a problem. Distace in the middle and close-up around the outside. I shoot 300yds with these old eys and I'm near sighted and have been wearing glasses since I'm 5 yrs old.

On a good day with good light I shoot 6-8" with A2 sights at 300.

Hope it works out for you.

I brought my progressives to the range a couple of times because I had a hard time focusing on my front sight (pistol), Didn't have much luck with them at all. I just use distance and got used to the sight being blurry. Fun? No, but better than feeling like I'm walking in the fun house.

You have bifocals with a line? Spring for panoramic bifocals and you wouldn't have a problem. Distace in the middle and close-up around the outside. I shoot 300yds with these old eys and I'm near sighted and have been wearing glasses since I'm 5 yrs old.

On a good day with good light I shoot 6-8" with A2 sights at 300.

Hope it works out for you.

No line, but that's for cosmetics ... I will look up panoramic bifocals.

It was always my understanding that both the rear sight and the target SHOULD be "fuzzy". You cannot focus on three depths at the same time, so it is the front sight that should be sharp.

Just as I said in the recent "shooting glasses" thread, get Varilux lenses - this is what Frank (Old School) was referring to. There are multiple focal planes up the center of the lense, so it's a matter of tilting your head (or eyeball) very slightly until that front sight comes into focus.

I further recommend - as I did in the other thread also - that you get the real thing. Varilux is a brand name and they are the best lineless bifocal. I have seen people have a real ptroblem acclimating to generic lineless lenses - some never do acclimate. Go to a good optician and get the real thing. I, too, have worn glasses forever and had bifocals (OK, Varilux) for almost 20 years. Not cheap, but my eyes are not someplace I choose to scrimp.

JMHO.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It was always my understanding that both the rear sight and the target SHOULD be "fuzzy". You cannot focus on three depths at the same time, so it is the front sight that should be sharp.

Agreed that we can't focus at three depths simultaneously (front and rear sight, and target) ... I am referring to the ability to properly "align" the front and rear sight on the target. Due to extra fuzziness (introduced by) looking through the far sight (top) part of the bi-focal, I effectively loose the near sight clarity completely - hence the issue.

People like us who wore glasses all their life have never "seen" what true 20/20 (or better) eyes are capable of seeing, especially rapidly adjusting the focus to near, mid, far ... we can only imagine!:icon_cry:

I believe I have Varilux line-less polycarbonate lenses, but let me see what the optometrist can do for shooting sports ...

If you can afford the Lasik, I highly recommend it. The technology has improved over the years and your vision can be returned. I invested in it before this years Leopard hunt and it paid for itself, no more glasses trying to see 3-400 yds away. I even picked up a critter or two the trackers missed ( they are still way better). If you plan on buying a variable scope in the near future, bet one with a parallax or focus knob- that can also help. Best of luck