PeteF

How close is close enough?

I finally convinced my wife that guns are not an evil thing :icon_e_biggrin:

She would like to take a class a First shots kind of class, from someone like Gun for Hire,

to learn how to use one. I think that's a real good idea since I rather have her learn from someone other than myself.

Now here's the question.

I have a Mk3 and and 92Fs that would be pretty good learning pistols. But while she is taking the class, do I have to take the class also or is it an illegal transfer if I drop her off and come back after the class?

When I took basic pistol, the instructor provided firearms for the course. we were told not to bring our own guns. I don't know if they're all like that. I would ask first. It may be a non-issue.

Why not take the class with her for moral support? She's agreed to drastically reconsider her position on guns for you so why not go with her to share the experience? Some of us are lucky to find women who will at most tolerate our hobby so if she's game to learn the ropes, you could have a new shooting buddy out of the deal (and possibly learn something in the class).

• Like 2

Why not take the class with her for moral support? She's agreed to drastically reconsider her position on guns for you so why not go with her to share the experience? Some of us are lucky to find women who will at most tolerate our hobby so if she's game to learn the ropes, you could have a new shooting buddy out of the deal (and possibly learn something in the class).

I'm with this guy. You are lucky that she is giving it a shot, most women don't. At the very least, be there to show her you appreciate that she is interested in your hobby.

I definitely agree. Even if you don't learn something new at least you spent an afternoon together doing something fun :icon_e_smile:

I finally convinced my wife that guns are not an evil thing :icon_e_biggrin:

She would like to take a class a First shots kind of class, from someone like Gun for Hire,

to learn how to use one. I think that's a real good idea since I rather have her learn from someone other than myself.

Good for you, man!!! You'll have to tell me your secret on how you were able to convince her... I had a conversation with the wife tonight about guns, as she's totally freaked out by them and tried to explain to her that she has nothing to be afraid of. All my guns and ammo are locked up in a big safe, the kids could never get their hands on them and etc. I'm hoping that eventually I can get her to the range, JUST ONCE and just give it a try...

Good for you, man!!! You'll have to tell me your secret on how you were able to convince her... I had a conversation with the wife tonight about guns, as she's totally freaked out by them and tried to explain to her that she has nothing to be afraid of. All my guns and ammo are locked up in a big safe, the kids could never get their hands on them and etc. I'm hoping that eventually I can get her to the range, JUST ONCE and just give it a try...

Baby steps. I got my girlfriend to go rent pistols with me, but even 9mm pistols were too much for her. Taking it a step back and getting myself a .22 rifle for her to shoot.

Baby steps. I got my girlfriend to go rent pistols with me, but even 9mm pistols were too much for her. Taking it a step back and getting myself a .22 rifle for her to shoot.

I bought a .22 conversion kit for my AR, but my gf will shoot 5.56mm as well. The kit doesn't work in my AR setup so I got a S&W 15-22. I'm plopping a scope on top as she likes shooting at metal silhouettes. .22s are they way to go if you want them to try it out. Rifles are easier to shoot for a woman if she lacks the upper body strength (yea I know :facepalm:) to hold a pistol steady.

Gun for hire provides the gun and ammo, but Anthony only brings a couple guns. I remember bringing my own gun to first steps, but they still had me shoot one of theirs plus my own. It is an excellent class and I highly recommend it. Oh, and the class is also good for an FL CCW permit which I also suggest you get while there.

I certainly agree that it's important to have you wife onboard, and to have her able to use your gun should she choose/have to. I think also that the best thing to do is to take the course with her for a whole bunch of reasons (the least of which is that it would likely be illegal to drop her off with one of your firearms for the course). It's the first step of having her choose and use one of her own.

The NRA "First Steps" course is designed to give someone a grasp on safe firearms handling and use, using their own firearm. The NRA "Basic Pistol" is taught to a similar level, but gives a broader range of experience and covers revolvers and semi-autos. Very often (see above), instructors will bring a range of firearms to give students a better overal experience, to make it more fun and to illustrate better some of the features that are important when selecting a gun of one's own. We do this, "Gun for Hire" does this I believe, and others do, too.

So - I'd respectfully suggest that you're right to want to get your significant other involved and onboard. My wife went straight for a 229 :)

Regarding CCW, my advice is always the same here. People should get training specifically in the use of firearms in self defense. The NRA offers these courses, tailored for inside and outside the home. They cover a range of practical and legal elements that do not in any way undermine anyone's rights under the 2nd, but make clear the possible consequences - legal, financial and emotional - of even the most unambiguously justified use of lethal force. People should make no mistake about this, getting one's FL/UT/VA ccw isn't about rushing off to the border and strolling round Cabella's (see many threads here). It is about the understanding that in extremis, one will draw and fire that pistol and kill another person. My personal opinion is that "First Steps Pistol", "Basic Pistol" or "Hunters' Ed" does not prepare one for that.

However (steps off soapbox lol), the "First Step" to all of this is to get your wife onboard - go take a course or two or three with her, and have fun. Then get her her own FPID.

Good luck and happy shooting!

G