usnmars

pretty darn cool mosin stock

i've been watching this guys auctions for a while now and his first stocks had a very low cheek weld--good for irons, not for scopes. I emailed him to ask if he would ever consider raising the comb on his designs or even a custom one just for me but didn't get a positive response. Looks like he's got some different designs for use with optics now.

I think that parts of it look overly boxy... I don't think they are terrible or anything.. but the front end definitely looks more boxy than it needs to..

stocks with that feature are primarily for benchrest use. the forearm is wide and squared off at the bottom (or 'boxy' like you said) to facilitate use with a front rest so it can support and level the gun in the rest.

This guy seems to be filling a particular niche fairly well. With mosins, you've been able to get the crappy ATI syn stock any day of the week for cheap, and also a Boyd's monte carlo as well since they generally seem to keep some in stock. However, if you wanted something more than that, you have to deal with Richards and thier crappy wait and often less than stellar inletting (or go full custom from a stock builder). But then you get into the situation where many folks won't justify a $300+ stock for a $100 gun sporter projects. For $150, i dont think this guy can make then fast enough!

• Like 1

stocks with that feature are primarily for benchrest use. the forearm is wide and squared off at the bottom (or 'boxy' like you said) to facilitate use with a front rest so it can support and level the gun in the rest.

This guy seems to be filling a particular niche fairly well. With mosins, you've been able to get the crappy ATI syn stock any day of the week for cheap, and also a Boyd's monte carlo as well since they generally seem to keep some in stock. However, if you wanted something more than that, you have to deal with Richards and thier crappy wait and often less than stellar inletting (or go full custom from a stock builder). But then you get into the situation where many folks won't justify a $300+ stock for a $100 gun sporter projects. For $150, i dont think this guy can make then fast enough!

thanks for the explanation.. that makes complete sense...