vladtepes

Mag carrier chest rig revisited...

looking for a chest rig that won't break the bank..

would like it to hold several 15 - 30 round AK mags..

would like the ability to add more pouches if need be..

would like it to be relatively light weight..

any recommendations would be appreciated..

I run a BlackHawk LW Commando Chest Rig

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Lightweight-Commando-Recon-Chest-Harness,1484,2.htm

It was given to me 2nd hand by a Ranger when he finished his deployment. I make good use of it but I have some complaints. Let me ask a few questions first.

What is the primary use of the rig? Will it be for training or mission spec? What is your intended loadout and what config will you be running your secondary?

my vest

this is what i have as im a big guy 6'4" 300 and it fits me. it feels good on. But it will take a while to get know where the location of everything is second nature. if you looking for a vest to holster pistol and/or big mags i would get it for $50 you get the vest, belt, pistol mag holder, and the holster section is removable and can be replaced with more rifle mags holders

i would buy one again

I'm actually looking for something similar as well. I'm a pretty slim guy so i would think a properly sized vest would suit me better. Since a full sized pistol would fit better on a vest then on my hip, as well as a knife. I've been looking around for a decent vest that allows the option to mount where you want for a decent price and have yet to find one. The ones i like don't give you the options to move stuff around where you want it. My ideal vest would be a pistol holster, 4 pistol mag pouches, 4 rifle mag pouches, or 2x2. And a spot to place my knife, preferably upside down across the left side of my chest. Still cant find a good one priced accordingly there either cheap or expensive, Not looking for armor just something that has everything i need ready to go.

I'm actually looking for something similar as well. I'm a pretty slim guy so i would think a properly sized vest would suit me better. Since a full sized pistol would fit better on a vest then on my hip, as well as a knife. I've been looking around for a decent vest that allows the option to mount where you want for a decent price and have yet to find one. The ones i like don't give you the options to move stuff around where you want it. My ideal vest would be a pistol holster, 4 pistol mag pouches, 4 rifle mag pouches, or 2x2. And a spot to place my knife, preferably upside down across the left side of my chest. Still cant find a good one priced accordingly there either cheap or expensive, Not looking for armor just something that has everything i need ready to go.

gun at hip is better IMO.. why tie up valuable real estate on the front of the chest and make for an awkward draw when you can have the sidearm low and to the side.. if you have your rifle on a sling.. and you transition to sidearm it is IMO far easier just to drop the gun and let it lay flat on your chest while drawing the pistol.. leaving the pistol on your chest is in the way.. again IMO.. ultimately it is up to you.. but if you get one of those MOLLE type rigs you can outfit it however you want... and move things around as needed..

gun at hip is better IMO.. why tie up valuable real estate on the front of the chest and make for an awkward draw when you can have the sidearm low and to the side.. if you have your rifle on a sling.. and you transition to sidearm it is IMO far easier just to drop the gun and let it lay flat on your chest while drawing the pistol.. leaving the pistol on your chest is in the way.. again IMO.. ultimately it is up to you.. but if you get one of those MOLLE type rigs you can outfit it however you want... and move things around as needed..

Thats very good point with the holster on the vest. I guess my best option is to put on some weight. lol. I always imagined the rifle being on my back but now that i think of it, it would primarily be slung over my chest. If you guys are interested in some high end durable backpacks, check out the burton snow packs. I bought one 10 years ago and aside from normal wear its outstanding a perfect size, has mulit compartments, as well has bottle holders on each side, and has numerous clips and straps to secure items and of course has the chest and waist strap. I use it for school, and dump loads of heavy books in it every day, and gut for when i go snowboarding. I have never seen a pack last this long. It also comes with a back plate in it(thick plastic) to keep items from stabbing you if you fall or lean back. The good ones are a bit on the expensive side, but well worth it.

Thats very good point with the holster on the vest. I guess my best option is to put on some weight. lol. I always imagined the rifle being on my back but now that i think of it, it would primarily be slung over my chest. If you guys are interested in some high end durable backpacks, check out the burton snow packs. I bought one 10 years ago and aside from normal wear its outstanding a perfect size, has mulit compartments, as well has bottle holders on each side, and has numerous clips and straps to secure items and of course has the chest and waist strap. I use it for school, and dump loads of heavy books in it every day, and gut for when i go snowboarding. I have never seen a pack last this long. It also comes with a back plate in it(thick plastic) to keep items from stabbing you if you fall or lean back. The good ones are a bit on the expensive side, but well worth it.

Burton stuff is awesome.. I ride as well and most of my stuff is Burton..

while Burton stuff is top notch.. there is a company called Maxpedition that makes an equally (if not more) durable product.. the upside to Maxpedition is it has MOLLE attachment points.. so you can change it as you need to! additionally most of them have a spot for a camel back.. if you ever decide to get a dedicated survival type pack check them out..

Burton stuff is awesome.. I ride as well and most of my stuff is Burton..

while Burton stuff is top notch.. there is a company called Maxpedition that makes an equally (if not more) durable product.. the upside to Maxpedition is it has MOLLE attachment points.. so you can change it as you need to! additionally most of them have a spot for a camel back.. if you ever decide to get a dedicated survival type pack check them out..

I'll have to take a look at the maxpedition packs, thanks for recommendation, i know a good pack can be hard to find depending on the need.

I'll have to take a look at the maxpedition packs, thanks for recommendation, i know a good pack can be hard to find depending on the need.

that is what I really like about it the most.. I have some different pouches for it.. and I can pop them right off.. or leave them on.. I was able to pack down for 5 days into the pack utilizing some add on pouches.. the best part about them IS the versatility.. I have only had mine a little over a year.. but it has been in planes.. in the woods.. to the gun range.. canoeing.. no real signs of significant wear..

+1 to Maxpedition products.

I use a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipak for carry bag at work instead of a bckpack or a briefcase. It is the right size for tools, EDC items, notebook, drink and food. When I deploy to disaster areas it is the first thing loaded. It show NO wear after 3 years of ownership and 2 of everday use. Best thing about it is the integral CCW pocket. Get yourself the universal holster insert, a roly poly bag and a double mag pouch and you are good to go.

I will by there beckpacks next when I go to replace my bags.