Sign in to follow this  
JimmyAGR

CMP or Garrand Guy

Hello All,

I am hoping to get a Garand in the early part of next year, after all the Christmas bills are paid off :icon_e_surprised: . I am looking at the CMP Special grade or the Garand Guy's super premium grade. They cost about the same. I know that I can get a service grade that will shoot well, but I try to buy once, cry once. Is there any reason I should go through the CMP instead of going locally and actually getting to hold it in my hands before I pay for it? I wish I had the time to go to the CMP, but that is a ride. This will be my first "old" rifle. I want to use it at the Garand matches at CJR&P. I hope to get a 1917 at a later date, as these would be what my father carried when he was in WWII.

Thanks for the help.

Guest schutzen-jager

cmp would be best for your intended use but they will no longer ship direct to non ffl's in nj - tony is great to deal with -

• Like 1

Since you are speaking about comparably priced rifles I would have to say go with Garand Guy because you can handle the gun prior to purchase. I have both CMP Garands and a Garand bought 25 years ago from a dealer and I have to say that I like handling guns prior to purchase.

Since you are speaking about comparably priced rifles I would have to say go with Garand Guy because you can handle the gun prior to purchase. I have both CMP Garands and a Garand bought 25 years ago from a dealer and I have to say that I like handling guns prior to purchase.

You can take a road trip for the weekend, fondle all of the guns at the CMP and still spend less than what you would pay for a garandguy garand

You can take a road trip for the weekend, fondle all of the guns at the CMP and still spend less than what you would pay for a garandguy garand

Matt were you the one who went out there a few months ago? If so how long did it take? Do they have all grades available at the Ohio store? Thanks.

It was about 7 hours each way. That's with stopping to get food as well. We drove out in the middle of the night and came home saturday afternoon so we saw absolutely no traffic.

They have all the grades there, in each maker, HRA, Springfield and Winchester. They didn't have any of the odd balls like IH etc.

They also have the competition style 22's among other things like bayo's ammo etc.

Honestly, I think any person that wants to own a M1 should make the trip. It is 100% worth it and Eric and I are planning to go again with they release the M1C's and 1903's

It was about 7 hours each way. That's with stopping to get food as well. We drove out in the middle of the night and came home saturday afternoon so we saw absolutely no traffic.

They have all the grades there, in each maker, HRA, Springfield and Winchester. They didn't have any of the odd balls like IH etc.

They also have the competition style 22's among other things like bayo's ammo etc.

Honestly, I think any person that wants to own a M1 should make the trip. It is 100% worth it and Eric and I are planning to go again with they release the M1C's and 1903's

Seven hours isn't that bad, would be like driving home from work on the GSP Friday nights in the summer. Sounds like I would spend more money with the bayo's and stuff (might have to take home 2 rifles just to make sure it would be worth it). Do they come with clips, slings, etc? When are they supposed to release the M1C?

M1C's have a release date of 2011 spring and thats all they have said so far.

Slings are extra, but I believe you are suppose to get 2 clips for every rifle purchase but I know I bought 3 and only got 4 clips total.

If you have the money, buying more than one is always a plus, the price of these rifles are only going to go up.

M

I believe that the original post specified a Special Grade CMP Garand ($995) or a Garand Guy Super Premium ($1000 after rebate). That is a $5 difference. You would spend way more than that driving 14 hours.

I would go the cmp route. At least with a cmp, you cant go wrong. As for wether to get a service grade or not, when matt and i went out to the ohio store, there were several service grades with brand new barrels. Many of them came home with matt and I. The only thing that makes them not correct grades is one mismatch part, as on both of the service grades they had had a HRA bolt on a SA gun. Other than that the guns look exactly like the correct grades. At the store, you can fondle the guns until your arm gets tired from picking up rifles(mine did). They have gauges that you can borrow so you can accurately gauge the bore. Like I said many service grades had almost new barrels. I would go with the cmp. If you want to tag along in the spring when matt and I go again just let me know.

Matt had the plan of getting a correct grade or special grade, until he saw in person what the service grades were like.

I believe that the original post specified a Special Grade CMP Garand ($995) or a Garand Guy Super Premium ($1000 after rebate). That is a $5 difference. You would spend way more than that driving 14 hours.

Yes that is correct, that is what I was thinking a $5 difference and no hassle.

I would go the cmp route. At least with a cmp, you cant go wrong. As for wether to get a service grade or not, when matt and i went out to the ohio store, there were several service grades with brand new barrels. Many of them came home with matt and I. The only thing that makes them not correct grades is one mismatch part, as on both of the service grades they had had a HRA bolt on a SA gun. Other than that the guns look exactly like the correct grades. At the store, you can fondle the guns until your arm gets tired from picking up rifles(mine did). They have gauges that you can borrow so you can accurately gauge the bore. Like I said many service grades had almost new barrels. I would go with the cmp. If you want to tag along in the spring when matt and I go again just let me know.

Matt had the plan of getting a correct grade or special grade, until he saw in person what the service grades were like.

Thanks for the invite Eric, if I don't have one by then I will definitely like to tag along.

I'd be up for a January road trip if anyone wants to make a run!

Don might be able to make a run, can't do the weekend of the 15th as I am on call that weekend. How about the 29th? Does anyone know can you just bring your paperwork with you or do you need to send it in before hand?

Don might be able to make a run, can't do the weekend of the 15th as I am on call that weekend. How about the 29th? Does anyone know can you just bring your paperwork with you or do you need to send it in before hand?

I went there in Oct. and gave them my paperwork when I got there. I would also say CMP is the best way to go. Like Eric said, you will be pleasantly surprised by the condition of what's available, I was going to buy a special grade SA and ended up getting a service grade SA and a service grade WRA. The ride is not bad, I hope for your sake it doesn't snow when you go. :)

CMP is what I did, I now have 3 service grades, an HRA, winchester and a springfeild. If you want a rifle with a USGI history, the CMP ones are the way to go. I got 2 of the 3 with new stocks, one (the wra) has a USGI original stock. I feel that the CMP rifles will appreciate in a way that Garand guy's won't, the cmp guns have certificates and are documented. Either way, you really can't go wrong with CMP or garand guy. I do suggest you qualify yourself for cmp due to the cheap ammo.

CMP is what I did, I now have 3 service grades, an HRA, winchester and a springfeild. If you want a rifle with a USGI history, the CMP ones are the way to go. I got 2 of the 3 with new stocks, one (the wra) has a USGI original stock. I feel that the CMP rifles will appreciate in a way that Garand guy's won't, the cmp guns have certificates and are documented. Either way, you really can't go wrong with CMP or garand guy. I do suggest you qualify yourself for cmp due to the cheap ammo.

If I can take a ride out to the CMP with some knowledgeable people I will definitely go this way. I just don't like the idea of buying something sight unseen, guess that's just my Brooklyn coming out :). I agree that the history part is key in collecting an M-1, but I am also sure you can't have just one. I will be qualified with the CMP either way. How did your service grades gauge?

If I can take a ride out to the CMP with some knowledgeable people I will definitely go this way. I just don't like the idea of buying something sight unseen, guess that's just my Brooklyn coming out :). I agree that the history part is key in collecting an M-1, but I am also sure you can't have just one. I will be qualified with the CMP either way. How did your service grades gauge?

If your in no rush, Eric and I should be making the trip again come Spring time when the CMP releases the M1c's

M

Both of the service grades I got had new military barrels. When you pick out a rifle at the cmp, the armorer looks it over and gauges everything. He agreed what I suspected, brand new barrels. Both rifles are awesome shooters. And of course I got the M1D sniper when I was there too!

The issue I have with the most recent service grade that I got from the CMP (in mail prior to NJ change) is that it came with a brand new stock (Boyds?) that is way oversized. It also was dipped in a brown stain that raised the woodgrain. The stock feels like a baseball bat. Needless to say, it was very disappointing. I would only buy from the CMP directly and never order one again. The chance of me driving to either one is nil at this point in my life and that is why I say go with Garand Guy. In addition, he is a local small NJ gun dealer.

ive wanted a garand for a long time and kicking myself because i went to school an hour away from cmp and saw the adverts at the local ranges for garands and never got one (limited budget, space, and unsure about nj legality) now its 7 hours away again. maybe i need to make an excuse to visit college buddies and such...