Avi

$18 money order when applying for pistol permits

When i go to apply for my pistol permits they make me give them a money order made out to the state police for $18, separate from the $2 each permit fee . This $18 M/O is definitely not written in N.J law, what can i do about it? and are all dept. requiring this or only a few (or mine)? any input would be greatly appreciated as i'd like to put an end to this nonsense

It's not actually a law, it's a SP rule that tells the town they are supposed to collect this fee. Some chiefs are deciding not to collect this fee because they know it's BS to keep collecting these fees every time you apply.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can realisticly do to get your town to not collect this fee.

I just called. Over 6 months it's an $18 fee

I think municipalities use their discretion as to how often the Criminal Background Check needs to be done. The one you called, obviously, feels that if one has been done within the past six months, you are GTG without doing it again. Where I live they do a Criminal Background Check everytime you apply for a FPID or P2P, regardless when the last one was done.

Adios,

Pizza Bob