Sign in to follow this  
SJ Shooter

Clean a Keltec out the box????

I do the same thing.

My ritual is to use something like Gun Scrubber to remove anything the factory put on or was leftover from the machining process. Then I follow through with laying down my foundation of dry and wet lubricants and protectants. Let me know if you are interested in what that process is.

I....along with the two above me.....believe that this is a good idea. A lot of items, not just firearms, are shipped with some sort of "packaging oil" just to keep parts from rusting and whatnot....but it is no good for actual usage. I would strongly suggest cleaning ANY new firearm (new from the manufacturer, or new to you) before using it.

Depends... what sort of lube is on it out of the box? Does it say to clean (packing oil applied only) and relube? Either way, it can't hurt. Pick your favorite religion.. err.. gun lube and grease 'er up. Remember, grease for what slides, oil for what rotates or is hard to access. And never pay attention to anything glock says. :icon_e_biggrin:

Depends... what sort of lube is on it out of the box? Does it say to clean (packing oil applied only) and relube? Either way, it can't hurt. Pick your favorite religion.. err.. gun lube and grease 'er up. Remember, grease for what slides, oil for what rotates or is hard to access. And never pay attention to anything glock says. :icon_e_biggrin:

So true, the cleaning/lube part being of various religious followings of sorts. I was tempted to explain mine, but I knew it could start an epic battle of the lubes discussion!