Sign in to follow this  
Golani

Saiga magazines

Just bought a out-of-the-box Saiga 7.62X39 rifle which came with a factory 10 round clip. I will probably need to get a few more clips, should I just go with the factory ones (a little expensive) or are there any other brands out there which will fit without any modifications and are under 15 rounds? And are there any suggestions on who sells them the cheapest?

Hello,

For an out of the box saiga 7.62x39, you need factory magazines unless you add a bullet guide. Fear not, installation is easy (a quick google search will yeild all info needed) and with the guide installed, you can use ANY double stack AK style magazine with no further mods(in 7.62x39 of course). As a friendly heads up, your rifle uses magazines. Clips for example would be a stripper clip on a mosin nagant or an en bloc clip on an m1 garand.

• Like 1

Once you install the guide here are some good mags that were recently posted on the forums:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20939-15-round-ak-type-magazines/

Otherwise as mentioned your stuck with very expensive saiga mags.

Another bonus point: If you have the bullet guide guide and wander into PA, you can borrow 30 rounders...or even 75 round drums. Wahoo!

I use a guy in Lincoln Park, the Ace hardware store. Can find his name and number if you like, pretty cheap in comparison to the others I looked at. I'm going to play around with one and the other is already spoken for....

let me save you the trouble.. find the guys name.. there are several people here who will likely want it... there has been a shortage of dealers willing to deal in things that kind of look similar to AK pattern guns..

I thank you in advance from everyone else.. :icon_e_biggrin:

post some pictures.. and get working on converting that thing.. lol

Here's the info on the FFL I went through:

Dave Baker or Bruce Smith

Lincoln Park Hardware

206 Main Street

Lincoln Park, NJ 07035

Phone: 973-694-1150

Fax: 973-694-1524

Cell Phone: 973-694-1150

Hours: 7:30 am - 5:30 pm Mon - Fri; 8:00 am - 3:00 pm Sat

Long Gun Fee: $25.00

Hand Gun Fee: $30.00

NICS Fee: $15.00

Other Fee: $15.00 second long gun same transaction

Will start to publish some pictures once I get to work on them (may have to wait until my kids are in college...)

• Like 1

Caso's always has them in stock, and usually every caliber from 12ga to 7.62.

Can't remember the pricing though, but I remember it was rather good. I would say $350, cause it was on the borderline of ordering one online and paying FFL fees which would ruin the 'savings'.

I have been looking into buying this rifle in 7.62 by 39 brand new out of box! How much does the conversion cost to make it accept standard ak mags ? And what is a price range I should look for when buying this gun?

the conversion can be as elaborate ($2k+) or as simple ($200 +or-) as you like..

the gun is normally around $300-$400 depending..

the conversion can be as elaborate ($2k+) or as simple ($200 +or-) as you like..

the gun is normally around $300-$400 depending..

I would be looking for the cheapest possible conversion otherwise it would be the same as me just buying 6-8 extra saiga mags.

I would be looking for the cheapest possible conversion otherwise it would be the same as me just buying 6-8 extra saiga mags.

oh no no.. you misunderstood.. JUST the bullet guide is cheap.. this will allow you to use standard AK mags..

bullet guide is like 20 bucks I think.. a little work to install it..

http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/saiga_762x39.html

oh no no.. you misunderstood.. JUST the bullet guide is cheap.. this will allow you to use standard AK mags..

bullet guide is like 20 bucks I think.. a little work to install it..

http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/saiga_762x39.html

Ok now I understand now I thought you said 200 to convert a $350 gun...that wouldnt be worth it for 200...lol

Ok now I understand now I thought you said 200 to convert a $350 gun...that wouldnt be worth it for 200...lol

I meant 200 total in parts.. and it is totally worth it.. the cost of a new Saiga is on the low side.. the rifle that you get for a $300 receiver and $300 in parts.. at $600 is a true Russian variant.. and you also get the knowledge of building that gun.. once you convert it.. there is no instance I can think of that would make you need to seek assistance.. you would literally understand the gun inside and out.. down to how each part functions..

I meant 200 total in parts.. and it is totally worth it.. the cost of a new Saiga is on the low side.. the rifle that you get for a $300 receiver and $300 in parts.. at $600 is a true Russian variant.. and you also get the knowledge of building that gun.. once you convert it.. there is no instance I can think of that would make you need to seek assistance.. you would literally understand the gun inside and out.. down to how each part functions..

I saw some videos it looks pretty difficult but ill give it a try ..