Sign in to follow this  
Babaganoosh

Uh oh. Forgot to clean the Mosin.

So I dunno why but I totally forgot to clean my Mosin after shooting it a few weeks ago. No idea why. So that being said is there anything extra anyone thinks I should do other than my normal cleaning regime? About to pop the case in a little bit and get cleaning. Ill update if there is any issues.

If you have some corrosion not all is lost. Get a steel bore brush(yes steel) and give it a scrub. It will clean the barrel right out. Steel brushes are ok for occasional use just not all the time.

I'm quite certain that we all treat our Mosin's WAAAAAY better then the original owners/users of these rifles.. :icon_e_biggrin: I forget to clean mine once in a while, a few days, no problems, all cleans up well. Like Eric said, and steel brush will fix er up..

Ok first thing I did was run a soaking wet patch with hoppes 9 on it. I let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then I started scrubbing with a wet copper brush. Decent amount of rust color on the patches and the cleaning rod when I switched to the patches. I went back and forth approx 5 times. Brush, patches, brush, patches. Not terrible though. When a patch finally came out clean I ran an oiled patch thru. All the sudden the patch is black. So I run a few dry patches thru again then a oiled patch. Came out pretty clean the last time. Ill check the bore better tomm in the daylight. Doesn't seem like there is any corrosion left but I'll see tomo. If there is I will go with a steel brush.