Chalky White

Hunting Question

In PA no semi-Auto Rifles permitted ,Centerfire nor Rimfire

In NY you can use Semi-Auto but you are limited to 5 Round Magazines. The AR Family of rifles is typically used in .223 for Varmints and Predators. In 6.8 SPC, .308. .50 Beowulf and .50 Bushmaster for Deer and Black Bear.

In NJ it is not legal to use Centerfire Rifle for Deer or Bear. However, Semi –Auto Centerfire rifles can be used legally for Woodchucks given the limitations given by the NJ Dept of Fish and Wildlife see Page 24 “General Hunting Guidelines , Page 64 and 66 “Small Game Requlations” of the 2010-2011 Hunting Digest.

2010-11 NJ Hunting Digest

Good Luck

Hunt Jersey. Get a hunting license, a rifle permit and find a piece of land and shoot chucks. You'll have a ball.

Farmers hate chucks. Drive your truck into the field, summertime, loaf of Italian bread, pepperoni, sharp cheese, non alcholic beverage(LOL) a blanket, your girl friend, a spotting scope and your rifle.

Got the picture

Depends on where your hunting. Dispose of properly so the dogs don't drag them back to the house, kick them back down their hole, or the ever popular leave'em for the buzzards.

So basically there is nothing useful off of a beaver. I suppose it makes sense I've never heard of beaver burgers...

VARMINT, holes are a danger to livestock, crop eater, garden raider. When you grow up on a farm you tend to have a different outlook towards animals. Their not pets, some we make a living with, others cost us. And that cute little critter you feed every day might be next weeks dinner.

I'm with you on the varmint thing. I have no emotional attachment to beavers. If something was destroying my livelihood, I'd be the first out there to take care of it. I was just curious if they are used for anything.

So basically there is nothing useful off of a beaver. I suppose it makes sense I've never heard of beaver burgers...

Woodchucks are your varmints. Beavers are fur bearers. A hunting license is needed to take woodchuck during the applicable season, while a hunting license and beaver permit is required to trap beaver.

Gotcha, i was confusing beavers with woodchucks. Thanks

Per my uncle, who used to hunt them on his farm in NY with his Sako .222, he claimed they were good eating. But, per his assessment; "only the young ones taste good." His specialty for them was woodchuck pot pie. Unfortunately, I never tried it. My uncle turns 100 this Fall. Apparently eating such a varmint hasn't affected his health either.