Old School

What's the Best Place to Buy Gold?

I always find these discussions fascinating. Valid arguments have been made on both sides of the (figurative) coin.

I think for someone who isn't already invested in gold, that trying to buy into it now is almost impossible unless you happen to be sitting on piles of cash you don't know what to do with. Silver seems like a more reasonable investment, but even that would be hard to accumulate in any significant quantities. So where does that leave someone like me? Food, ammo and guns I guess... and if I was a religious person, praying that we never find ourselves in a SHTF situation certainly couldn't hurt.

ETA: I have to admit - trade items (that don't involve precious metals) are not something I've given a whole lot of thought till recently. It's certainly an area I should address with items I can easily acquire now

Ok, but does it make sense to acquire gold now when its near peak or during the true SHTF situation? If you had a stock pile of a resource that people would need during that time like food or ammo, you could barter that off for gold at an exchange rate that favors you. If you think about it, right now you would have to trade thousands if not 10s of thousands of rounds of ammo to get 1oz of gold. If you where in a SHTF situation 1 oz of gold might get you tank of gas or a couple of hundred rounds of ammo if your lucky. Now to my earlier point, I think the highest valued resource would be food. Ammo is good, but once you have 1k rounds it would take you a long time to use all of that. Food on the other hand you would use everyday. So IMO you better off having stockpiled food & ammo to trade for gold, then the reverse.

Again just my .02

This whole debate is based on many assumptions and there's no solution. First, SHTF is difficult to define since every time it's a little different. Some people above say US is a global economy. True, if it goes down it will have a ripple effect, that's a fact. We can only approximate that to say Roman Empire which was pretty large too and when it went down it left Europe in dark ages.

What I don't like about Maksim's way of thinking is that it's very digital. He rather have guns than gold because they're more useful. He argues that you can't eat gold. You can't eat guns either. It's a silly argument. I personally rather have *both* guns *and* gold.

My line of thinking is to obtain some gold now when you have a job rather than in the future when you may not have one. You have to be prepared to lose though. You don't buy this stuff as investment where you're going to make money on. That's why I don't believe in holding a lot of it either, just a few oz to get you started if SHTF. If you can afford trading it for something, it's better than not having any and not being able to trade at all. When people are jobless or hungry, they don't care for ammo and they can't afford guns for the exact reason you mention - it becomes more expensive. So who are you going to trade it to and what for? It's better then to stash food and tools than guns because you can produce something with those and trade your skill for food. You could provide security services with your weapons but that means putting out your neck on the line for somebody else.

Guns and ammo can be tricky too. In a state of emergency (martial law) that stuff could be taken away from you or made illegal and it has been world wide (including this country) time over time. What then?

There are way too many "ifs". It could the "The Road" style SHTF, it could be a more peaceful one, who knows...

I believe in not putting all eggs in one basket and having/making friends with people of similar vision. That way we can help each other out.

From personal experience (Croatian-Serbian-Bosnian wars), if you have a wife and kids, teaming up is crucial. If you're single, you're good with just good clothes and shoes.

I still say using guns and ammo as trade items is a very bad, possibly deadly idea.

I read a funny post on one economic forum some time ago.

After 2006 many people were jobless and were selling out their guns for dirt cheap.

This dude said someone was selling two Glocks for $500.

He then goes to say he showed up at the sellers door with $350 and guess what?

Someone then followed up and asked "He pointed both of them at you and thanked you for your donation?" :icon_lol:

It could indeed be deadly.

We all do what we think we need to do to be prepared and one solution is not the right one...however having some gold and/or silver

coins on hand is a good thing...BUT to try to purchase now....your waaaaay behind the curve.... i.e. too late....

better to invest in guns ammo and other preparedness items....

+1 that's where I am now. No gold for me... I'm just gonna depend on my good looks and winning personality :icon_mrgreen:

• Like 1

+1 that's where I am now. No gold for me... I'm just gonna depend on my good looks and winning personality :icon_mrgreen:

Well, since I don't have either, I'm really screwed. Maybe there's some old silver change in the couch. It's at least from the 60s.