Babaganoosh

Legal way to pin stock question

So let me get this straight, you don't want to ruin an $80 piece of plastic with a few holes and some roll pins? Been in an accident lately? No? How much did you pay for insurance last year? How much would you pay to stay out of jail? More than $80? You're call. I wouldn't want to be a test case.

Yes, I understand, it'd be nice not to "damage" it. It's just not worth it in my opinion. It would probably NEVER come to it, no one would ever notice except this one time you're at the range and some interested party comes over, eyeballs you're guns, strikes up a conversation. After a few moments, he identifies himself as an ATF jack boot and now you're the test case.

Do what you'd like....I've seen removable muzzle brakes on ARs at the range. You'll probably be fine. My AR has drilled holes and two roll pins and it's going to stay that way.

I've never really understood the "permanent" rule. All the role pins and holes epoxy and glue in the world can be removed. The one thing i think that they will scrutinize, is that they(LEO ATF who ever) look specifically for pins that go through the stock and guide rail on the buffer tube. They may see's this more from the perspective that it is not actually a fixed stock, it is a telescoping stock that has been modified to not move. Sounds ridiculous and stupid but it is what it is.

With that being said, the only way they would figure out the mode of modification would be to actually examine the stock. How comfortable you feel on them getting there hands on it will determine whether its worth taking the risk.

Also consider fixed stocks

there are plenty options here too if you decide

Yeah there are tons to choose from, i believe we have a thread in here with a good number of NJ legal stocks. My RRA operator stock is the fixed version, and its a mid sized stock to fit my size, i could have gotten the adjustable one and pinned it, but the fixed one actually looked better anyway.

Since NJ doesn't define in the statutes what a telescoping stock really is, that makes it even more interesting. Then there is the whole what is considered permanent thing...

IMO, no matter what, you are taking a chance of being that test case when you convert anything from its originally designed and manufactured form to meet NJ laws. That's the way the state likes it, the ability to throw the book at anyone at any time.

Remember this is the state that classified something as a machine gun even though they couldn't fire more than one round per pull of the trigger. Not to mention there is a clear definition on the books as to what defines a machine gun! Imagine the creativity they can pull off when such a definition for something does not exist!

I pinned a magpul MOE stock.. I hated to do it but thats how it is. If you want I can show you where I pinned it.I did it in a different spot. If I ever move I can knock the pin out and its back to normal

chris, can you post pictures and how you did the MOE ? i just ordered one and would be doing that job shortly