dajonga

S&W 22a walnut grips

For you 22a folks out there wanting aftermarket grips...

I finally got around to ordering fancy grips for my Smith & Wesson 22a from Altamont ([email protected] or call Doug @ 800-626-5774). I was gonna go with the coco grips for $61, but Doug said they had several types available, including these walnut.

They were about the same price as the S&W wood laminate grips ($71 plus 9 for shipping). A little pricey, but they are real pretty and a far cry above the stock plastic grips.

Range trip today with the 22a and my other new toy (CX4 in 9mm). It has been an expensive month.

Need.

to.

stop.

buying.

stuff.

post-2278-0-29811000-1297346812_thumb.jpg

post-2278-0-19913700-1297346820_thumb.jpg

post-2278-0-05400400-1297346828_thumb.jpg

post-2278-0-66160400-1297346836_thumb.jpg

Wolfy... While waiting for my FID and p2ps, I rented and tried out alot of .22s. I almost did not try out the 5 1/2" 22a at Shore Shot cuz I thought it was kinda fugly. But I was more accurate with it than anything else. Rented it again a few weeks later and same thing. I opted to buy the 7" and love the gun more and more every time I shoot it. Great gun for a low price. I am sure that I will own a Ruger and/or a Browning at some point, but this is a great first pistol.

JonF.... Yup, mag release. Very easy to hit with your middle finger. Some complain that they accidentally dump the mag whilst shooting, but I like the setup alot more than a thumb button. And the mags pop out with great enthusiasm!

I shot about 200 rounds out of it today and the grips felt great. My only complaint is that the S&W screws are not long enough and the grip worked itself loose a few times. I made a trip to the hardware store for longer stainless hex head screws and lock washers. Should be an easy fix. Will post another pic with ss screws later.

I am becoming a big fan of walnut grips on black guns. I may need to get a set of walnut grips for my Beretta 92fs.

dajonga not picking on the your 22A. I had a bad one that would lead up bad after less than 50 rounds to the point the rounds would be extruded and keyhole. Well after 3 trips to Smith (Bangor Maine factory) I was over the gun. I sold it while it was on it's third trip back for $50 (my BIL) as is. He is a S&W armorer so knew what he was getting into. Funny thing is the gun actually functioned ok. But I was over it so away it went.

Great looking grips!

I am interested in the same pistol.

Looking at your fourth picture it looks like there is a gap between the grips and the magazine. Does the magazine sit flush with the grips? If it doesn't does it really matter?

I am just waiting on my paperwork to be filled out before I get a 22a with a 7" barrel. Can't wait!

Hey Stan,

Yeah, there is a bit of recess, but it is not too bad. Even with the stock plastic grips, my mags wanted a little fingertip push to seat properly, so this is not that different.

If it really bugs me, I could get my brother the woodworker to sand down the bottom of the grip a bit to sit flush with the mag.

I try to go to Shore Shot about once a week, usually Thursday during the day. I am also trying to get out to Ft. Dix soon, probably on a Sat or Sun.

If you wanted to meet up, you could try out my 22a (and my other things) to see how it shoots for you.

Good luck on the paperwork.

D.

Thanks for the info.

I purchased my M&P Pro from Shore Shot and like going there to rent their different pistols.

I just spoke to one of my references today (both were on vacation when their letters were sent out DOH!) so he is going to send his letter in asap.

Lets see how things work out. I might take you up on your offer. You can try out my M&P if you like as well.

Really Nice Grips, so glad I didn't order the stock smith & wesson laminated wood grips, just emailed altamont.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Altamont makes many of the stock S&W grips, including, I believe, the laminated ones for the 22A

Thanks for the reminder Pizza Bob!

I can only comment on my pistol. It is a 7" model and I have had some issues with it but I know what it likes now.

It eats Federal Bulk with no problems and likes lite oiling. I have been using it at the OBRPC Bullseye 900 league now for a month and change. 270 rounds a week on monday with a couple PPC events (120 or 180 rounds).

In the last month I had two issues. One was a mag not loading into the pistol. I found out that the plastic on the bottom of the mag can come out of adjustment and will not load unless you give it a slight slap. I adjusted it back and it is fine.

The other issue was my fault. I didn't snap the spring back after loading my rounds so I had a fail to feed.

I have other pistols and really dig the 22a. I wouldn't mind getting a more popular 22 in the future but for now I am pretty happy.