sigdave

Florida Resident going to NJ

Hello All,

I grew up in NJ, moved to FL in 2001, bought a bunch of guns (all legal as all you need is a background check), have a FL concealed weapons permit and am moving back to NJ. My question is enormous. How do I bring my collection of handguns and shotguns into NJ legally during the move? Do I need them registered? I called the NJ state police in Trenton and nobody could give me a thorough summary of the law which was disheartening. Any advice? Oh, also many cases of personal protection ammo as well as practice...

thanks! Dave

WHY?!?!!?

Ok, saved you the generic follow up question.

If you are moving to NJ, there is nothing you have to register. What you must make sure of, is that your firearms are legal in NJ...

IE...

Handguns - No mags over 15 rounds, weight limit on some items, like Ruger Charger.

Rifles - Make sure the gun is not on the bad list... nothing with AK or AR on the receiver.... Wasr, Vepr, MAK are ok... just cannot say AK or AR, or the other rifles banned by name. No flash hiders, only muzzle breaks. Pinned Stock (for the most part) Once again, no magazines over 15 rounds.

Shotguns, will let someone else handle that one.

Post a list on anything questionable... but last but not least, for more specifics, always consult an attorney.

If you purchased them legally in another state, and if they are NJ compliant as far as capacities and features, you have no issues just bringing them in when you move.

There is no mandatory requirement to register your guns in NJ. Just follow NJ laws regarding transportation and, although it isn't required, it's a good idea to get a NJ FID card once you settle in your new place.

Search around the old threads on the board. There's a bunch of information, and a couple of horror stories.

And, welcome to the group.

• Like 1

When you do bring in your firearms (the ones that you have verified are NJ compliant) keep them unloaded and locked in the trunk while traveling to your new residence in NJ. Don't make any stops in NJ. Schedule your travel so you can go straingt to your new residence. Don't stop at a hotel for the night. Don't stop at Grandma's or Aunt Betty's.

...and verify everything that we have said with an attorney. Evan Nappan is the one most commonly referenced.

BTW, all of this assumes that you are not disqualified under 2C:39-7 to possess firearms in NJ (criminal history, history of mental illness).

If you purchased them legally in another state, and if they are NJ compliant as far as capacities and features, you have no issues just bringing them in when you move.

There is no mandatory requirement to register your guns in NJ. Just follow NJ laws regarding transportation and, although it isn't required, it's a good idea to get a NJ FID card once you settle in your new place.

Search around the old threads on the board. There's a bunch of information, and a couple of horror stories.

And, welcome to the group.

What he said.

Hello All,

I grew up in NJ, moved to FL in 2001, bought a bunch of guns (all legal as all you need is a background check), have a FL concealed weapons permit and am moving back to NJ. My question is enormous. How do I bring my collection of handguns and shotguns into NJ legally during the move? Do I need them registered? I called the NJ state police in Trenton and nobody could give me a thorough summary of the law which was disheartening. Any advice? Oh, also many cases of personal protection ammo as well as practice...

thanks! Dave

You said you have personal defense ammo. If that means hollowpoints, you might want to leave them at home. Unless you bought them the same day and have receipts to prove it, you might not be protected by the narrow exception to the state law against transportation of hollowpoints which only allows you to transport them (1) to your home from a place of purchase and (2) from your home to a shooting activity.

IANAL

Hello All,

thanks! Dave

I just moved up from FL about 6 months ago. (after being unemployed for 2 yrs....too bad I couldn't find any work in FL...I would have stayed). I just got my FPID after waiting 2.5 months, so I now I can legally purchase guns here in the PRNJ.

Since you mentioned having a FL CCW, don't even think of carryin concealed here. In fact, don't even think of applying for a carry permit here in new jersey. 9.9999999 out of 10 times, it's guaranteed to be denied.

Oh, and WHY???? If it's because of family, I understand.

You said you have personal defense ammo. If that means hollowpoints, you might want to leave them at home. Unless you bought them the same day and have receipts to prove it, you might not be protected by the narrow exception to the state law against transportation of hollowpoints which only allows you to transport them (1) to your home from a place of purchase and (2) from your home to a shooting activity.

IANAL

What he said. Personally I would use up what ever ammo you have before you leave FL. Come up to NJ with weapons locked in the trunk. Buy new ammo when you get here.

And one more piece of advice, when you are moving your guns, if you mom calls 911, don't consent to ANY searches of your vehicle. It can only lead to problems.

Do yourself a favor, search "Brian Aitken" on this board, read all the posts, and maybe you'll change your mind about moving here.