johnoutdoors

Advice on Spfld XD9

My wife (a lefty) and I (a righty) are new to the world of gun ownership. We have both shot varied weapons in the past. Our P2P applications were just filed this week. We have a friend who has given what seems to me to be good advice. He suggested that the Springfield XD9 would be a reasonable place to start our pistol ownership as it would be easy to use for both of us. Are there other semiautomatic pistols that would be worth considering? We are both getting pistols. We are considering an XD for me, and a Walther P22, due to its left hand friendliness, for her. Talking to the Trooper at our local barracks, we have about 2 months to research before our permits are here. Anyone care to offer suggestions? Any insight is much appreciated.

Welcome! My advice, and most here agree, is to visit a range where you can rent a myriad of firearms(I personally recommend Shore Shot) and then buy what shoots most comfortably in each of your hands. Good luck!

I have an xd9 service. It's got about 1000 rounds through it and I've had zero issues with it. I think it's a great firearm. Pick a gun that feels comfortable for you. You can't go wrong with an xd.

Others to consider

glock

s&w m&p

berretta px4

sig sauer

I looked at them all and more. When it came down to it the Springfield felt great and I didn't want to break the bank. I paid $535 for mine.

Thanks for the quick replies.

jOn, we intend to try before we buy. Just looking for some good starting places. I am a bit of an over-researcher. I like to look into as many options as I can so that when we start actually looking, I understand what people are saying and why something might be good or bad.

intercooler, is she a lefty? I've heard and read a lot of great things about the XD.

I guess I'm looking for some lefty specific advice. Are there any pistols out there that are more comfortable for lefties to use, while still being righty oriented? It will be mine primarilly, but I want her to be familiar and competent firing it. Any guns that match that description, or am I looking too far into this? And is there a pistol other than the P22 that is better suited to a lefty than most others?

I am a righty and my son is a lefty and we both shoot XDs. The above advice is good. You should find a range near you that rents guns (you don't list a town in your signature) but if you are close, Shore Shot is great. They have a ton of rentals (all you need is a Drivers License) and they can answer any questions you might have.

As a lefty I've learned to adjust myself with certain firearms and gear. Having said that a 38 would be my choice for a woman. Smith & Wesson Model 15 with a 4 inch barrel should do the trick. If not, rent a bunch or go to a meet up and shoot as many as you can while you wait. What you thought you'd like and what you actually like might suprise you.

Great answers so far, thanks. She is particularly inclined to have a semi-auto. So revolvers are a tough sell with her. I live in Augusta, Sussex County. I tried to put that in the sig line, guess it didn't work. (edit: fixed town) I know a bunch of people up here with pistols and have arranged with them to get us both some time shooting their guns. One of my cousins goes to a range in PA that rents guns and we are going with him in a few weeks. When I have made substantial purchases like this in the past, I have had success when I can hear from more experienced voices what might be worth looking at and if there are makes and models to stay away from.

tbtrout, what exactly is a "trigger job?"

Thanks everyone, keep it coming....

As a lefty that owns a XD-9 it is a very good firearm. It was actually my first gun purchase. I have put a few thousand rounds through mine with no issue what so ever, but as others have mentioned shoot as many different guns as you can, so you can buy smartly. And welcome from a fellow Sussex county resident, I'm in Stillwater. See ya at Cherry Ridge.

Do springfield xd9's come with 15 round mags? Because all I see as of right now are 16 round mags. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

New mags are 16 rounds. In the past they made 15 rounders. You can still find them on gunbroker from time to time. A while ago, the factory was still selling them, but some guys on here have said that they have dried up since.

I replaced the sear, springs and trigger bar with a Springer Precision trigger kit. Basically, I reduced pre travel to 1/8 in, no overtravel and the trigger breaks clean at 4.5 lbs.

I also put the Springer Precision Trigger Kit in both of our XDs, it is a vast improvement over stock. Now that I think of it, I have done a trigger job on all of my guns except the new 15-22, but give me time, I have only had it a week and new trigger springs are already on the way.

The xd is a fine handgun for a lefty, but there are many others. I am a lefty and have run the course of just about every left handed friendly gun made and many that were not.

Let me just say this... do yourself a favor and avoid the P22. There are some P22s out there that are flawless... I have yet to shoot one and I have owned two. They are just great feeling little guns, that flat out dont work sometimes. PLUS, they have an unusual manual of arms, safety, decock etc that makes the gun tricky to use quickly. If this is for plinking and paper shooting alone, I would rethink that choice towards a Ruger 22/45, Browning Buckmark, Beretta NEOS or S&W 22A.

XD service is a very good gun, but in NJ it is a non starter for me in that you will only receive 10rd mags with it and the 15rd are hard to find. There are many other great lefty handguns out there. The Walther P99AS comes to mind, a very lefty friendly gun that can be found used in excellent condition for about $500 and uses 15rd mags. The Glocks, especially the G19 is the perfect lefty gun and has 15rd mags. Their are many metal guns out there that work also, Browing/FN HiPower or P35, 13rds... Beretta 92 or M9, CZ85, S&W 3rd gen 5906, SIG P226 or 228. HK has some odels that work, but they are way expensive so keep that in mind.

What I am getting at is go rent a plethora of guns at one of the ranges has a rental board. Spend about $100 trying every gun they have that will work for lefties. It will save you some heartache and cash and stop you from an impulse buy that you figure out down the road, does not really work for you.

As a lefty, I love the Walther, I own three Glocks, The Smiths and the Beretta 92 or I even prefer the Taurus version the PT92.

As a lefty that owns a XD-9 it is a very good firearm. It was actually my first gun purchase. I have put a few thousand rounds through mine with no issue what so ever, but as others have mentioned shoot as many different guns as you can, so you can buy smartly. And welcome from a fellow Sussex county resident, I'm in Stillwater. See ya at Cherry Ridge.

downsized_0516001055.jpg

Sorry Mike, I love you brother!

axeman, thanks. Thats the kind of info I love. My cousin is taking us to Sunset Hill in Tannersville,PA. I would love to walk in there with a list of guns to try. Does anyone have a feeling for how a relatively small woman would do with different caliber weapons? .22 vs 9mm vs .38 vs anything else? My leanings to the P22 were based on its lefty friendly reputation and small caliber/ease of use for a smaller woman. I had read that there were issues with them, like zinc slides cracking and trigger bar ears needing to be ground down, but that all seemed to have been corrected at the factory from what I had read. The Mrs. is petite and I want her to have a gun of her own that she likes and uses, but that she won't have trouble shooting mine either.

I have taught many a new female shooter...It was a hobby. :icon_twisted: Dont be suprised when the missus out shoots you! Women take the ego out of shooting, they have no expectations of being gunfighters. My wife can shoot with the best of them, she chooses not to shoot often.

I have seen the smallest women handle .45 and .357s well, when they get over the initial shock. Also caliber is only part of the equation, gun make, grip angle, gun weight, type of mech. Some 9mms recoil worse then some .45s. Case in point, I have a Glock 20 in 10mm that in my hands recoils much less then a Walther p99 does. Not the same for other people. Recoil is subjective many times, it really comes down to grip and comfort.

The P22 is a good place to start, but rent one... dont buy. My wife likes my M19 .357... she thinks big holes are cool. But she will shoot my G19 more because it is easy for her. She does not like 10mm or .45 for some reason. I dont think she liked the grips on a 1911. She has shot and liked a Taurus PT92 I had I foolishly traded away.

I would auggest keeping her away from .40s&w to start, sometimes it can be harsh for first timers.