Dan

Building an AR - Upper reccomendations?

So I've decided to build an AR. I've ordered up all the parts necessary to build the lower, here is what I have so far. I didn't intend for it to turn into a Magpul love-fest, but just turned out that way. I'll use the Palmetto Armory included trigger assembly in the kit for now. Eventually I want to upgrade the trigger to either a Timney 3lb or Geissele S3G. I just don't want to shell out $200-300 for that yet.

Spikes Lower

Palmetto Armory Magpul MOE lower build kit (having sent to non-gun owner's house, and will pin/epoxy it there before bringing to the lower)

Rear Magpul ASAP sling attachment

Magpul Angled Fore Grip 2

Now for uppers. I'd like to go for a completed upper, figure I'd leave that part to the pro's. I'm looking for a 14.5" barrel, forged and chrome lined flat-top style receiver and floating for-end. I would have the upper shipped to Adco for a 1.5" brake permanent installation making it 16".

So far I have this Novreskey upper in mind. Any opinions, or recommendations for other complete uppers are welcome.

Thanks!

Bravo company makes TOP notch stuff and it is NOT expensive

www.Bravocompanyusa.com

I got a 14.5 mid length with a battlecomp 1.5 pinned.

They are VERY high end stuff, but cost what cheapies do.

Great site.

I think I found what I'm looking for here . I would add the perm installed comp and BCG for a total of $1120 out the door.

The Noveske says it comes with a perm installed flash hider on the 14.5" model I'm looking at. Plus I'd have to find out if the BCG comes with the upper. Even if I could get the upper with just the threaded barrel sent to adco, i'm looking at another $150 for the comp installation.

So far 2 that I like:

Bravo company : $1120

Noveske : $1320 (if it comes with the BCG)

Another vote for BCM - I basically have the same upper your linked to with the DD Lite 12 'cept mine is a 16" standard barrel instead of the BFH variant. Couldn't be happier with it

ETA: The Noveske is excellent as well - keep in mind, the last time I checked, Noveske WILL make their guns ban compliant for you... not sure what their comp options are, but may be worth a call to them if you like the Noveske.

Thanks for the feedback all. I went ahead and ordered the BCM here with a perm attached brake and the BCG group.

I didn't intend to do this so quickly, and my head is spinning from the expenditure. Its just that it was exactly what I was looking for and the price was right. Not to mention it seems these things go quickly from a look at all the "out of stock" notices on their site. +1 for BC if that is just part of their marketing strategy!

I plan on re-purposing my Aimpoint currently mounted on my M1A Scout (planning on brushing up on iron sights with it), so that will save me some bucks. I'll still need a good BUIS system, and I'll be golden.

Ya, another +1 for BCM. When in doubt, BCM :icon_e_biggrin:

I have a 14.5 carbine-length upper (pinned of course). Shoots great, though I did have a single malfunction with Wolf .223. It was an older bunch though (with the lacquer still on it), so, it doesn't really concern me.

Noveske can do the fsc556 or the battle comp 1.5. That's what I wouldbdo. Not sure about the vis or mur

Thanks, good to know for the future. I really like their rifles, I got to shoot JimmyAGR's Noveske setup. Very impressive. I opted for the BCM BFH with Daniel Defense 12" middy for-end setup. Great reviews, and a solid $200 less than the Noveske.

I do have one problem... I'm running out of safe room!

Just an FYI on BCM, it seems that they only offer permanent muzzle device installation on 14.5" uppers that require it to avoid NFA complications, but will not do it for NJ compliance on their other uppers.

I really had my eye on an MK12 upper they have listed on the site with several muzzle device options available(including nj legal comps), so I sent them an e-mail asking if I could order it and request that the compensator I select be permanently installed. They wrote back very promptly, but politely advised me that they do not offer that service.

Since I already own a complete rifle I would have been looking to upgrade with the MK12, I can only really order an upper that's going to arrive with the compensator already pinned, so it looks like BCM is out. Sill a great company, but I'm definetly pretty dissapointed.

Just an FYI on BCM, it seems that they only offer permanent muzzle device installation on 14.5" uppers that require it to avoid NFA complications, but will not do it for NJ compliance on their other uppers.

I really had my eye on an MK12 upper they have listed on the site with several muzzle device options available(including nj legal comps), so I sent them an e-mail asking if I could order it and request that the compensator I select be permanently installed. They wrote back very promptly, but politely advised me that they do not offer that service.

Since I already own a complete rifle I would have been looking to upgrade with the MK12, I can only really order an upper that's going to arrive with the compensator already pinned, so it looks like BCM is out. Sill a great company, but I'm definetly pretty dissapointed.

You can buy the upper and brake and have BCM ship them to a dealer or 'smith of your choice who can pin and weld it for you then they ship it to you.

• Like 2

You can buy the upper and brake and have BCM ship them to a dealer or 'smith of your choice who can pin and weld it for you then they ship it to you.

+1, very easy to do. There are shops on the forums that offer this service.

Eh, BCM's usual savings over similar Noveske products isn't really evident for this particular variety of upper. The difference between the BCM MK12 I wanted and a Noveske upper I'd consider equivalent is less that $72 including shipping. Unless they really want a lot of additional money for the NJ compliance option, Noveske becomes the better option if a BCM upper means the cost & PITA factor of upfront gunsmithing.

An MK12 upper is going to cost you a premium regardless of where you look.

I have to ask though, which Noveske upper are you talking about? Because in stock configurations, Noveske doesn't sell an MK12-style upper. They do have some pretty nice 18'' SPR uppers, but I wasn't aware they had an MK12 configuration readily available.

An MK12 upper is going to cost you a premium regardless of where you look.

I have to ask though, which Noveske upper are you talking about? Because in stock configurations, Noveske doesn't sell an MK12-style upper. They do have some pretty nice 18'' SPR uppers, but I wasn't aware they had an MK12 configuration readily available.

You're right that they don't have MK12 configurations, but the noveske 18" SPR uppers seemed similar enough for me to consider them comparable [soely for the purposes of what I was interested in purchasing]. I probably should have stressed that I was comparing to a Noveske upper that I found equally appealing.

BCM upper I had in mind - http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SPR-Mk-12-Mod-Bravo3-p/bcm-urg-mk12-3%20dd12.htm

Noveske upper I had in mind - http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=18-556&cat=124&page=1&search=&since=&status=

Yea, I assumed it was one of those configurations. Personally, I don't see the big deal about the MK12 config package from BCM (though its a nice touch that it comes with a BCG/bolt, as most uppers do not, and most be bought separately).

I really want to do an SPR-type rifle, and instead was looking at one of the 18'' uppers from BCM, such as: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20vtrx13.htm

Essentially the same thing as the MK12 variants, as its SS410 & 1x8 barrel, rifle length gas system. I would even consider just pinning a thread protector on to the end instead of a muzzle device.

I had a BCM upper and comp sent to ADCO, they shaved the evil bayo lug, pinned the break and sengt it to me. There turn around time was about 3 days. The whole thing including shipping was less then $60 and work was great.